The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 55 of 55

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    BTW ever tried even "4 to the bar" "against" (wrong word somehow) someone playing "la pompe"? Works great ...
    I played four to the bar (with 1 and 3 ringing out and short 2 and 4) at a Joscho Stephan workshop. He didn’t like it.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    [...]
    Because I had mentioned it above for completeness:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    I played four to the bar (with 1 and 3 ringing out and short 2 and 4) at a Joscho Stephan workshop. He didn’t like it.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
    No I meant even without much accent (like in the Charlie Christian on acoustic example) against this:

User Info Menu

I don't know how to describe it otherwise but it was more like CC's rhythm playing on Profoundly Blue, albeit at a faster tempo. In fact, I initially got my jazz rhythm playing from these exact recordings.

You mean something like:

4-to-the-bar
    down - down - down - down
    vs La Pompe
    down - down up - down - down up?

or in metric notation, where – is a long syllable and u is a short syllable.

4-to-the-bar
    – u – u
    1 2 3 4

vs
    La Pompe (without the upstrokes)
    u u u u
    1 2 3 4

?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    I don't know how to describe it otherwise but it was more like CC's rhythm playing on Profoundly Blue, albeit at a faster tempo. In fact, I initially got my jazz rhythm playing from these exact recordings.

You mean something like:

4-to-the-bar
    down - down - down - down
    vs La Pompe
    down - down up - down - down up?

or in metric notation, where – is a long syllable and u is a short syllable.

4-to-the-bar
    – u – u
    1 2 3 4

vs
    La Pompe (without the upstrokes)
    u u u u
    1 2 3 4

?
    For even four-to-the-bar swing rhythm I play all downstrokes on the downbeats.

The length for all four is clearly defined like this (probably what you would call "four long syllables"): If we look at swung eighth notes the ones on the downbeats have the length of two triplet eights, the "ands" have the lengths of one triplet eighth. I let the chords sound for the full length of the swing eights on the downbeats and make a rest on the "ands". All four strokes are even meaning they have the same length and no accents.

La Pompe is different. Like Nousche Rosenberg says in the video, it has to sound like a swing rhythm on a snare drum played with brushes.

If you put those two feels together you get a great groove. I played 2.5 h almost nonstop at a manouche session at a small Cafe in Munich the week before Christmas. There were no Sinti, only German and French Django-philes (line-up was 3-4 guitars, double bass, clarinet, soprano sax and tenor sax), no one complained about me not playing traditional manouche la pompe style and people were dancing.