The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

He's obviously been around for a while, but there's not a lot of info out there about him. Is he on anyone's radar?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

These Reinhardts - I love the music, the unorthodoxy, the nonchalance and the wit of the Sinti / Roma musicians!

It seems there are two Mike Reinhardts active in that ever-growing scene:

- The Mike in the video above was born in France in 1977. He played with Dorado Schmitt, Zipflo Reinhardt, Frederic Schlick, Bireli Lagrene, Didier Lockwood, Florin Niculescu, Andreas Öberg, Yorgui Löffler, and many others ([Django Station] - Mike Reinhardt )

- The other Mike Reinhardt with roots in the "gypsy" jazz was born in Germany in 1956, a son of Daweli Reinhardt, the co-founder of the Schnuckenack-Reinhardt-Quintett:

Unfortunately for us "Gadsche" (all non-Sinti, i.e., people who are not considered to be "complete human beings" by the Sinti), the Sinti / Roma / Manouches don't care much about things like promotion, etc. Most of them live and play for the moment - isn't that the gist of any improvisational music?
    Many of them didn't learn English (in German language):

It's always possible to ask helpful Sinti people about their sometimes confusing names, nick-names and working musicians.
    Some fascinating stories that should be written down... isn't it something to chuckle about that Wawau (Woof-woof) Adler's sister is called MiauMiau (Meow-meow)?
    Last edited by Ol' Fret; 12-23-2023 at 05:07 PM.

Thanks for the interesting info. I'd like to know if the Mike in the video I posted has more videos of him playing live. In that clip he's obviously channeling GB with some Gypsy flourishes, but I wonder if he always plays like this?

User Info Menu

Les enfants de Django ... I think it would be more apt to say that Gypsy guitarists channel Gypsy music - it's simply their basic DNA - with some GB or WM flourishes, American jazz to varying degrees.

On YT you can find videos about "your" Mike Reinhardt (one of many underrated Gypsy players), old and newer ones. You could also search 'Mike Reinhardt' with some of his former fellow musicians (given above) or the 'Mike Reinhardt Trio'.
    Some examples (not granted that he is always the "right" Mike R.):

Yeah, this guy is killing me , not just his clean (very) rapid lines, but his pocket, and his tone - not to mention his tasteful blending of Gypsy, R&B and Bluesy language. Looks like standard pick grip too, nice full tone, aggressive yet smooth... what's not to like? Even makes Oberg sound like he's struggling!

I know there's a lot of these guys that might seem equally as good or better, but as much as I like to listen to Stochelo and Birelli etc, this Mike Reinhardt fellow must be wondering why he is not a household name... I mean, what else does he gotta do?