The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This is a fantastic video. I love how close they are to each other, giving the feeling of a real combo, one of the greatest. Dolphins is off the charts (literally at times). What a band!

Eric Dolphy - alto sax, bass clarinet, flute
    Mingus - bass
    Dannie Richmond - drums
    Jaki Byard - piano
    Clifford Jordan - Tenor sax
    Johnny Coles - Trumpet

So Long Eric
    Orange was the color of her dress, then blue silk
    Perkeriana (aka Ow)
    Take the A Train

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I saw it years ago but was just watching this colorized version a couple days ago.
    Not certain but I think this was Dolphy's last gig w the band before he split and Mingus found out before and was upset.
    What a senseless death his was.
    Buy yeah, pretty spectacula video.
    Cool seeing Philly's Johnny Coles, a severely underrated trumpeter I was lucky enough to catch in a small venue once.
    I listened to this Dolphy interview just yesterday.
    "Time will tell"....indeed

User Info Menu

I had a bootleg from later in that tour, when the group became a quintet (after Johnny Coles suffered a ruptured stomach on stage, supposedly). That concert was in Wuppertal Germany.

Everyone in that band is incredible, and Mingus stirred them all up to play at their peak. Clifford Jordan deserves more recognition.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersoul
    I had a bootleg from later in that tour, when the group became a quintet (after Johnny Coles suffered a ruptured stomach on stage, supposedly). That concert was in Wuppertal Germany.

Everyone in that band is incredible, and Mingus stirred them all up to play at their peak. Clifford Jordan deserves more recognition.
    yeah man, caught Clifford in a band co led w/ Philly Joe Jones once, great show!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersoul
    I had a bootleg from later in that tour, when the group became a quintet (after Johnny Coles suffered a ruptured stomach on stage, supposedly). That concert was in Wuppertal Germany. Everyone in that band is incredible, and Mingus stirred them all up to play at their peak. Clifford Jordan deserves more recognition.
    It was a perforated gastric ulcer. Very painful.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I saw it years ago but was just watching this colorized version a couple days ago.
    Not certain but I think this was Dolphy's last gig w the band before he split and Mingus found out before and was upset.
    What a senseless death his was.
    Buy yeah, pretty spectacula video.
    Cool seeing Philly's Johnny Coles, a severely underrated trumpeter I was lucky enough to catch in a small venue once.
    I listened to this Dolphy interview just yesterday.
    "Time will tell"....indeed

Well, there was never any doubt. When it comes to progressive innovation, who is greater?

User Info Menu

A septet!

Such a big sound.

And if anyone needs a definition of swing.