The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    Thanks. I want to listen to Hirata'a version and see if I have a new favorite of one of my favorite bebop tunes. (other than this classic one).

That album is great too.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by enalnitram
    After reading the OP, this is the solo I thought of! It’s untouchable, of course, but I still like the young guy’s playing.

Not to change the subject, but Raney is just unreal. I transcribed this solo in college. He plays the tune faster than Bird, and plays ahead of the changes in an astonishing, controlled, and consistent manner.
    Oh gotta check this out. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by bediles
    For this style these really old recordings of JVR at The Crow are nice little goldmine

http://https://archive.org/details/iuma-jesse_van_ruller_at_the_crow
    Good stuff man. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by murphybridget837
    Anthropology is such a masterpiece, and diving into that solo is like uncovering hidden treasure! The way he navigates those rhythm changes is pure magic, reminiscent of the legends like Bud Powell and Wes Montgomery. It's incredible how someone so young can command the guitar with such mastery. Truly a monster player, leaving us all in awe.
    It really is amazing...one of the best rhythm changes solos I've ever heard on ANY instrument. You could stop pretty much anywhere in the solo and have something to take from. Thankful to have stumbled upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    Thanks. I want to listen to Hirata'a version and see if I have a new favorite of one of my favorite bebop tunes. (other than this classic one).

Never heard of this take from Raney; thanks for the recommendation. Hirata's solo on Anthropology can he found here:

He takes the first solo and Fumika Asari takes the second.

Each musician brings their unique style and interpretation to a piece, infusing it with their own personality and creativity. Exploring different interpretations of classic bebop tunes can be a thrilling journey!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    That album is great too.
    I have that album in digital format, interesting that it's cleaned up and dropped a few cents from the recording on Youtube, which sounds like it came from a turntable with a slight speed issue. Anyway, great track, lots of useful lines. Jimmy and Doug were both amazing!

Just added this to the playlist; missed it during my initial deep dive. His performance on this one start around 1:47:00. This time he's playing duo with a piano player.

This is his other appearance at that festival; this time in a quartet led by Patrick Bartley. Starts around 1:58:45

Last edited by montes707; 03-02-2024 at 07:00 PM.