The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    Not in mine, but I always think "roots" along with the term.

Unless you consider that people like Darrell Scott or Tim O'Brien are "twee, consciously eclectic for the sake of it"?
    I don't know them, so couldn't say. This was just my impression of how the word seems applied these days (don't want to spark a thread derail by arguing over whom this shoe does or does not fit).

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

She is eclectic. She is someone who is generally an interpreter of other people's songs rather than her own, but she has GREAT taste. And, she doesn't oversing and overplay.

I can't think of too many people who are so effective in bringing out the meaning of the songwriter's work. Judy Collins maybe? Jennifer Warnes? Pete Seeger? Doc Watson?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    A real pro, she even shines in a backup role...along with another great you might recognize

Bonnie and Emmy, bonus! I don't know if they've had cosmetic 'work' done [not that it matters] but these ladies have really aged well.
    I think Bonnie had a thing w/ Lowell at one point but I can't remember.

I was invited to a show during Linda Ronstadt and Emmylou's tour and met all the guys in the band beforehand, ace musicians all.
    Linda was there but not the most friendly, at least that day, and unfortunately Emmylou was out walking her dog. She was the one I really wanted to meet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    She's my all-time favorite slide player. She's almost more R&B than blues at times. Her new album is great.

She picked up that tune from the Bros. Landreth, and I think she won a grammy with it. That was a big deal from the Bros. Landreth who are relatively unknown but one of my favorite bands.

Here is the original version of that tune from about 8 years earlier. I'd say it's a bit rawer than Bonnie Raitt's version but it's good. If you like Bonnie Raitt then the Bros. Landreth are a band to check out.

User Info Menu

I guess good pipes run in the family. FYI for those too young to remember her dad...

User Info Menu

Another real gem came out of nowhere in 2014, when this was released:

Bonnie Raitt.....-img_1816-jpeg

It was a radio broadcast recorded in 1972 at a Long Island studio. I love this one! There’s a full album audio-only “video” on YT, too. I’d have embedded it here but I’m on my tablet & the embed code doesn’t come up in the YT app.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Bonnie and Emmy, bonus! I don't know if they've had cosmetic 'work' done [not that it matters] but these ladies have really aged well.
    I think Bonnie had a thing w/ Lowell at one point but I can't remember.

I was invited to a show during Linda Ronstadt and Emmylou's tour and met all the guys in the band beforehand, ace musicians all.
    Linda was there but not the most friendly, at least that day, and unfortunately Emmylou was out walking her dog. She was the one I really wanted to meet.
    Linda R herself tells the story at a LF concert, that one night when she and LG were 'spending the night together' at her home, Mrs LG came over and knocked on her door and said something about looking for her husband........She said that ended that particular arrangement, but I'm guessing LR didn't miss a beat...: )

User Info Menu

^^All the chicks loved Lowell. He reminds me of Jack Black—not awesomely handsome but had some kind of weird mojo that the ladies couldn’t resist.