The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Lorne Lofsky - Wikipedia

User Info Menu

Hey great to see Lorne Lofsky! Makes sense, Oscar and Lorne are iconic Canadians. Check out Lorne's instructional videos. He explores the secrets of Ed Bikert's harmony, both of them being guitar mainstays of the Toronto scene.

Thanks for the info, he's great. I am in Buffalo NY, so I would love to drive up there to hear him some time.

User Info Menu

amazing solo from OScar considering his left hand was useless after his stroke..

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Lorne Lofsky is another relatively little known but truly world class guitarist from Canada. He was in one of Peterson's groups for a few years, played with Rob McConnnell's Boss Brass (as did Ed Bickert), and made two fine albums with Bickert plus Neil Swainson (b) and Jerry Fuller (d). I was mildly amused to see that Amazon wants $103 for the single copy they have available of one of these (This is New). But I've never found it as a high res download of a high res remaster, and standard res mp3s are nowhere near as good. So I listen to it on YouTube. (No, I did not buy the CD!) Jimmy Blue Note posted this one already.

The other one is titled The Ed Bickert Lorne Lofsky Quartet, and there are no available CDs that I can find. But you can buy a very good remastered FLAC download for $13.20 from hiresaudio. Here's the YouTube playlist:

PS: Toss Lofsky into the "archtop vs solid body for jazz" debate. He's yet another great jazz player who favors solid bodies, and he sounds mighty good to me!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by voxo
    amazing solo from OScar considering his left hand was useless after his stroke..
    He seemed to be able to use it slightly. There was very light use of it for support. I noticed he did the majority of comping with his right hand during the guitar solo. Then during his solo he would comp with his right hand between phrases like an organist when a pianist would comp with his left.