The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 112

User Info Menu

There's the occasional post here on the forum about Frank Vignola's weekly Guitar Night series at the Birdland Theater in NYC. The shows are live-streamed on YouTube for free and most shows remain available on the channel.

I thought it might be useful to have one thread to collate performances and discussion as we go.

Here's last week's (22 November) show with guest Chris Flory.
    With Ted Rosenthal (piano), Gary Mazzaroppi (bass), Vince Cherico (drums)s

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

29 November 2023, with guests Pasquale Grasso and Jimmy Bruno.

User Info Menu

Tonight Pasquale has a less than mint Gibson with a guitar mike instead of his usual Trenier. Jimmy has has signature Sadowsky, Frank with the Eastman Pisano AR480. Cooking as usual. I liked both nights with Chris Flory.

Grasso with the Gibson and a Vintage47 amp sounds exactly the same as he does with his Treniers.

User Info Menu

Chris Flory was a nice discovery for me. Never heard of him before he came on. Looking forward to watching yesterdays recording.

User Info Menu

Anyone here been to Guitar Night? I wonder if it's just an hour set or are there other sets they don't stream?

User Info Menu

It's an hour and a half, and AFAIK it's just the one set.

User Info Menu

I've caught two shows in live and both were ~90 minutes. It's great to be in the room, but YouTube viewers aren't missing any off-camera moments as the video starts rolling before they take the stage and stops only after they've left. Frank has something really important going at Birdland as it relates to traditional jazz music and jazz guitar. In addition to Pasquale Grasso and Jimmy Bruno, he's had Mike Stern, Dave Stryker, Sheryl Bailey, Mark Whitfield, Ed Cherry, Peter Bernstein ... and many others. It's definitely worth adjusting one's travel plans if you are within range to support him. Streaming the live show helps show support, too.

User Info Menu

Birdland tried to monetize the shows for awhile, making it pay to view, but apparently didn't make enough money to make it worthwhile, and started the free streaming again. Making money with jazz music is difficult at best.

User Info Menu

6 December 2023.
    Tonight's guest is Olli Soikkeli.
    With Frank Vignola, Ted Rosenthal (p), Garry Mazzaroppi (b) and Vince Cherico (d).

User Info Menu

13 December 2023.
    Pasquale Grasso (filling it at the last minute for Ed Cherry)
    With Frank Vignola, Ted Rosenthal (p), Garry Mazzaroppi (b) and Vince Cherico (d).

User Info Menu

20 December 2023.
    Guest: Karrin Allyson
    With Frank Vignola (guitar), Ted Rosenthal (piano), Gary Mazzaroppi (bass), Vince Cherico (drums)

User Info Menu

27 December 2023.
    Tonight's guest is Mike Stern.
    With Frank Vignola, Ted Rosenthal, Gary Mazzaroppi and Alex Raderman.

Last edited by David B; 12-27-2023 at 10:12 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B View Post
    27 December 2023.

Mike is a modern player I really like to listen to (much more than e.g. Scofield or Metheny) but it is a pity that his sound is always so overloaded with FX that it puts him in the background and makes him sound indirect. Which works nicely for comping but not so well for soloing.

Anyway, thanks David for reminding us of new episodes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head View Post
    Mike is a modern player I really like to listen to (much more than e.g. Scofield or Metheny) but it is a pity that his sound is always so overloaded with FX that it puts him in the background and makes him sound indirect. Which works nicely for comping but not so well for soloing.

Anyway, thanks David for reminding us of new episodes.
    I do think that Frank V and the rest of the band have a more traditional sound and help modify Mike Stern's chorus craziness and makes him sound better. Like many folks I like what Mike plays, but I can't for the life of me think why he leans so heavily on that chorusy sound. He really does not need it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    27 December 2023.
    Does this recording have a number of bad cuts (right in the beginning already) or is YT acting up for me?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    Does this recording have a number of bad cuts (right in the beginning already) or is YT acting up for me?
    I watched it live on YouTube and there were some streaming issues in the first 30 minutes or so. I believe the cuts/jumps are where servers had to be switched. It did settle down.

User Info Menu

3 January 2024.
    Tonight's guest is vocalist Janice Siegel. Mike Stern, originally billed, had to cancel due to illness.
    Starts 8.30pm NYC time.

Last edited by David B; 01-04-2024 at 08:29 AM.

User Info Menu

The advertised line-up of guests for the rest of January and February is:Jan 10 - Pasquale Grasso Trio with Janice Siegel (vocals)
    Jan 10 - Pasquale Grasso Trio with Janice Siegel (vocals)
    Jan 17 - Jocelyn Gould (guitar)

Jan 24 - Janis Siegel (vocals) & Dave Stryker (guitar)
    Jan 31 - Saul Rubin (guitar)

Feb 7 - Jimmy Bruno & Sheryl Bailey (guitars)
    Feb 14 - Peter Bernstein (guitar)
    Feb 21 - Rodney Jones (guitar)
    Feb 28 - "Django Celebration" with Joscho Stephan, John Jorgenson, Arnt Arsen, Vinny Raniolo (guitars)
    Last edited by David B; 01-03-2024 at 06:56 AM.

Does that guitar have a specific name?

User Info Menu

Which guitar?

User Info Menu

I think its name is Bruce. But I could be wrong.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by murphybridget837 View Post
    Does that guitar have a specific name?
    Looking for the Mike Stern Yamaha model?

PAC1611MS - Overview - Electric Guitars - Guitars, Basses & Amps - Musical Instruments - Products - Yamaha USA

User Info Menu

Tonight
    10 January 2024
    Pasquale Grasso hosts, depping for Frank Vignola. With Ari Roland (bass), Vince Cherico (drums) and special guest Janis Siegel.

User Info Menu

Tonight's stream was cancelled, for unspecified reasons.

User Info Menu

Tonight
    17 January 2024
    Jocelyn Gould joins Frank Vignola, with Ted Rosenthal (piano), Gary Mazzaroppi (bass) and Vince Cherico (drums).