The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 174

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    pete was totally on fire on that gig.
    Yeah, I guess one could say that - though my personal interpretation is a bit different (didn't listen to the end on this one because too many notes that kept me from enjoying the apparently good bass, among other things). Tastes differ...

"Last night" as in yesterday evening, or as in final session of the season?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

There are more planned. It appears to be an open-ended ongoing series. Last week Frank announced the guests for many weeks ahead.

User Info Menu

A few shots from my visit to Birdland last week for Guitar Night.

Frank Vignola's Guitar Night, an ongoing concert and livestream series-img_9089-jpeg

Frank Vignola's Guitar Night, an ongoing concert and livestream series-img_9091-jpeg

Frank Vignola's Guitar Night, an ongoing concert and livestream series-img_9092-jpeg

User Info Menu

Tonight
    29 May 2024
    James Chirillo is this week's guest.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B View Post
    A few shots from my visit to Birdland last week for Guitar Night.
    Is there a cover charge and a table minimum? Just wondering how it works.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen View Post
    Is there a cover charge and a table minimum? Just wondering how it works.
    $25 (+ $5 booking fee) per person for bar seating.
    $35 (+ $5 dollar booking fee) per person for table seating.
    + a $20 minimum spend per person.

User Info Menu

that show just concluded with James Churillo is the BEST one I have heard in this series. These mofos SWUNG so hard and played so melodically. It was beautiful! James is kind of known as the expert on Freddie Green, but he also took his choruses wonderfully on his big jazz box with a Monkey-on-a-stick, especially with octaves and with chord solos. The piano player, Ted Rosenthal, is a gem. There was a point where Frank turned to Ted and said, “yeah, it’s in Eb. Three flats, like your car”. the trumpet player’s teacher was in the crowd, and Frank said that teacher was..his…father-in-law. Amazing. The repertoire was great! The into Cheek to Cheek probably went on for 20 minutes, and it was riveting. The closer, “It Had to Be you”, was a blast. “Willow Weep for Me” would have made Wes happy. And the ballad, “Gee baby Ain’t I good to you” was too marvelous for words.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B View Post
    $25 (+ $5 booking fee) per person for bar seating.
    $35 (+ $5 dollar booking fee) per person for table seating.
    + a $20 minimum spend per person.
    Good (and no wonder) that they provide the streams for free!

User Info Menu

What a lovely, old-school GASB evening.

User Info Menu

The flats like your (or his) car jokes are free, and provided at every performance.

That Guild that James has, with the Rhythm Chief 1100, is a great-sounding guitar. It's a little bright, but not as bright as most Guilds tend to be. I really like his tone.

Jon-Erik Kellso is a really good cornet player, and he also sometimes plays Puje trumpet, which looks like a cornet but is technically different, somehow. I'm not the world's most informed horn expert. He's one of the Ear-regulars, tons of videos of them on YouTube. James also sits in sometimes, as do Matt Munisteri, Chris Flory, and others. There is always a guitarist.

All in all, that was an excellent performance all around. I think Gary Mazzaroppi may be my favorite living bassist. That's a great rhythm section.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
    Good (and no wonder) that they provide the streams for free!
    They haven't always. For a time the streams were subscription only. I can't remember the price, but I didn't pay, because I couldn't be sure of being able to watch at those times, and there was no video on demand. That apparently didn't make enough money to be viable, so they went back to free streams and subsequent YouTube posts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    The flats like your (or his) car jokes are free, and provided at every performance.

... I think Gary Mazzaroppi may be my favorite living bassist. That's a great rhythm section.
    Short story about Gary: he provides the bass lines at Frank's Big Jersey Camps. Frank sends out the lead sheets for the repertoire about two months in advance so students don't have to spend time learning tunes there. I always look for a covers done in the past for each tune and transcribe good ideas for comping and soloing.

At Winter Camp in 2023 Frank included St. Thomas in the line-up. There are so many great covers of that tune - Jim Hall's is just outstanding. So is Kenny Burrell's. But the one that I worked with was recorded by Tal Farrow. And guess who played bass on that entire album? Yes - it was Gary Mazzaroppi. His solo on that cut is amazing!

In the sessions that Gary leads at Big Jersey, he asks each student to work on a tune and bring it later in the week to play in a guitar-bass duo setting with him. I asked him to play St. Thomas. He was all smiles the whole time and wow - what a memorable experience for me. Later I asked him about the session with Tal - and he said they recorded the entire album in one day. How many times have we heard a story like that?

Here's a link to that song on that LP:

User Info Menu

Yes, I remember that Gary played in the Tal Farlow quartet. I have that and other CDs of the quartet.

User Info Menu

That Guild that James has, with the Rhythm Chief 1100, is a great-sounding guitar. It's a little bright, but not as bright as most Guilds tend to be. I really like his tone.

Jon-Erik Kellso is a really good cornet player, and he also sometimes plays Puje trumpet, which looks like a cornet but is technically different, somehow. I'm not the world's most informed horn expert. He's one of the Ear-regulars, tons of videos of them on YouTube. James also sits in sometimes, as do Matt Munisteri, Chris Flory, and others. There is always a guitarist.

All in all, that was an excellent performance all around. I think Gary Mazzaroppi may be my favorite living bassist. That's a great rhythm section.
    James Chirillo is also the guitarist most of the time with Wynton Marsalis' Lincoln Center Jazz Band. The Ear-Regulars play regularly at the Ear Inn, an old bar in the West Village (NYC) – a hang definitely worth anyone's time.

User Info Menu

He's one of the Ear-regulars, tons of videos of them on YouTube. James also sits in sometimes, as do Matt Munisteri, Chris Flory, and others. There is always a guitarist.
    Wow, this is exactly the kind of jazz group I want to have.

User Info Menu

Ed Cherry may be my new favorite jazz guitarist.

User Info Menu

I can't say he's my favorite, but he's in the running. In truth, I can't say that I have a favorite, there are so many, and so little time to listen.

User Info Menu

James Chirillo did sound great. I've seen his instructional videos on rhythm guitar, but had not seen his single note solos yet. They did not disappoint!

User Info Menu

What Guild model is that?

User Info Menu

I don't know, I'm far from a Guild expert. All I'm sure of is that it said Guild on the headstock.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7 View Post
    What Guild model is that?
    Looks like the Guild Artist Award.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ukena View Post
    Looks like the Guild Artist Award.
    Yeah looks like the one Mary Halvorson has and I know she’s got an Artist Award.

User Info Menu

Tonight
    5 June 2024
    Mike Stern is tonight's guest.

User Info Menu

Once again I tried and failed. I cannot listen to Stern's cheesy chorus tone for more than a couple of minutes. I think I'm going to avoid Guitar Night for the rest of the month.

User Info Menu

I'm tuning in. I like Stern. I have a lot of peeves but his chorus doesn't bother me. Maybe because I'm not a guitarist.

I must say, it's cookville.

2nd edit: Stern is bringing fusion playing to a basically straight ahead combo. At the end of a tune, Stern basically turned it into a drawn out blues rock ending and the whole rhythm section, the drummer, bassist, and pianist were all looking at him disgustedly for the final hit. Lol!

3rd edit: He's playing thru 2 twins?
    Last edited by Bobby Timmons; 06-05-2024 at 09:32 PM.