The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 112

User Info Menu

13 March 2024
    Chris Flory and Audra Mariel are this week's guests.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Anybody watch this? I still haven't seen last weeks, hard to find the time lately.

User Info Menu

I watched. I like Chris Flory's playing. He's a classic example of 3-finger playing, he keeps his pinky tucked in, and only uses it for chords when necessary. Not that it makes any difference, just an observation that it's possible to play very well without using one's pinkie. Audra Mariel is not my favorite singer, but nice enough.

As a side note, the Hot Club of Cowtown, with Whit Smith, is at Birdland tomorrow night, March 15, and will be livestreamed. I plan to watch that.

User Info Menu

I like Chris Flory's playing a lot. Not much time for TV, three gigs next week, 2 different groups. Which is a lot for me.... about 8 months ago I sat in at my first Jazz jam.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I watched. I like Chris Flory's playing. He's a classic example of 3-finger playing, he keeps his pinky tucked in, and only uses it for chords when necessary. Not that it makes any difference, just an observation that it's possible to play very well without using one's pinkie.

Some people are born with a short pinkie (like me) are forced to adapt the way you said Chris does by mostly using 3 fingers.

Doug

User Info Menu

I fucking love Chris. He's not a double-timer but, man, he has the tightest rhythm and the most lyrical solos. Oh and THE TONE. Flory's got the best tone of any jazz guitarist.

These are my, admittedly strong, opinions.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Schwoop
    How great it is that they put these show up online so that I can listen from the other side of the world...
    Indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    Flory's got the best tone of any jazz guitarist.
    I agree that at times it sounds like a guitar like his should sound (if it weren't played through what I seem to recognise as a guitar mike?).
    But when I can't look at that poor old instrument with a pot installed through the top and can only hope this was done by the clueless original owner...

User Info Menu

Guitars are not holy relics, they're just pieces of wood with random other parts and pieces. I suspect (I have zero personal knowledge) that Chris has done what he feels he needs to do with the guitar to make it work for him, with no thought of ever selling it. That is a guitar mike on it. There are more elegant ways of mounting a volume control, but convenience of adjusting it on the fly during a gig may outweigh other considerations. I don't think he uses it acoustically all that often.

User Info Menu

Yeah Chris originally got the guitar as an acoustic. Prior to this he was playing an ES 150 and he has a funny story about how Benny Goodman hated that ES 150 and almost fired Chris and replaced him with Bucky just because of the guitar. so when he got it, it had no pick up and he originally put a rhythm chief but that one died and was replaced with what you see on it now. Chris has a really heavy right hand and so he just hated playing the guitar with a guard. that’s why he had to put the volume pot directly on the top. I can tell you from experience as I’ve played this guitar numerous times that little pot does not mess with the resonance of the guitar at all. It’s one of the liveliest loudest and biggest sounding guitars acoustically that I’ve ever played. And that’s with the electric nickel plated, steel strings that he plays. So yeah he’s clueless and obviously has a lot to learn from guitar forums.

User Info Menu

Guitars are not holy relics, they're just pieces of wood with random other parts and pieces.
    Yes, you can say that from a newly built guitar that you can mess up all you want knowing there will always be a new one from the same maker. You can also go Townsend or Kurt Russell on it if you want. A vintage instrument that is sought after for its qualities it had how it was built is not something of that sort, it's a heirloom you hope to be able to pass on to future players who'll appreciate it for similar reasons.

Hence my remark about the original owner who presumably would have been clueless indeed about the way players long after his time would view his instrument. Flory doesn't look vintage enough yet to be that person.

FWIW, I got a similar speech when I suggested to the builder of my violin that he could consider converting it to a modern instrument after he bought it back in hopes of finding the buyer I hadn't been able to find. Nope, not the intention he'd had with this instrument.

User Info Menu

Chris is pretty vintage. Not as vintage as me, but he'll be 70 in a few months.

I completely disagree that a 'vintage' instrument is necessarily something sacred that can never be modified or even breathed upon. Vintage is just a short way of saying 'old and used'. If I own a guitar, it's mine to do whatever I like to it. I don't have to preserve it behind glass for future generations. That's just asinine. If I destroy the resale value, that's my problem, and no one else's.

Here endeth the rant.

User Info Menu

I'll write the fuzzy reading between the lines off to your reading glasses being vintage too. Also ought to help picking a ditto Chibson for your next e-guitar project

User Info Menu

I cleaned my glasses, but it didn't seem to help. If there is sarcasm involved, it's over my head.

User Info Menu

If there is sarcasm involved, it's over my head.
    I didn't want to imply that , just that you're reading things between my lines that I never said nor intended.

User Info Menu

That is a guitar mike on it..
    Pardon me guys, but what is a guitar mike? I haven't come across the term before, maybe because I'm in the UK. How does it differ from a standard pick-up (if there is such a thing)?

And should I get one?

BTW I've liked anything I've heard Chris do; it sounds almost attainable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irishmuso
    Pardon me guys, but what is a guitar mike? I haven't come across the term before, maybe because I'm in the UK. How does it differ from a standard pick-up (if there is such a thing)?

And should I get one?

BTW I've liked anything I've heard Chris do; it sounds almost attainable.
    It’s the name of a specific kind of pickup.

DeArmond Guitar Mike Model FHC Archtop Guitar Magnetic Pickup, c. 1950's | RetroFret

User Info Menu

20 March 2024
    Tessa Lark is this week's guest.

User Info Menu

Finally got to Al Gafa's performance. Just spectacular. Frank and the guys make it seem reachable.

User Info Menu

Tessa has been on before. I'm not her biggest fan. More of a fan than some other guests who have appeared, though.

User Info Menu

We enjoyed Tessa Lark's performance with Frank and his band very much. Frank and Tessa are doing three shows together in May - two in Mass and one in NY. More on that here: Frank Vignola

Next week Frank is doing a tribute to George Barnes - this is going to be good!

User Info Menu

List of upcoming guests through to the end of June:

March 27: Celebration of George Barnes/Ruby Braff Quartet with Matt Munisteri (guitar) and Jon-Erik Kellso (trumpet)
    April 3: Nicole Zuraitis (vocals) and Warren Vache (trumpet)
    April 10: Stefano Doglioni (bass clarinet) and Pasquale Grasso (guitar)
    April 17: Olli Soikkeli (guitar)
    April 24: Sara Caswell (violin)
    May 1: Karryn Allison (vocals)
    May 8: Bria Skonberg (trumpet)
    May 15: Peter Bernstein (guitar)
    May 22: Guest host Peter Bernstein (guitar) and Ed Cherry (guitar)
    May 29: James Chirillo (guitar)
    June 5, 12, 19, 26: Mike Stern (guitar)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    List of upcoming guests through to the end of June:

March 27: Celebration of George Barnes/Ruby Braff Quartet with Matt Munisteri (guitar) and Jon-Erik Kellso (trumpet)
    April 3: Nicole Zuraitis (vocals) and Warren Vache (trumpet)
    April 10: Stefano Doglioni (bass clarinet) and Pasquale Grasso (guitar)
    April 17: Olli Soikkeli (guitar)
    April 24: Sara Caswell (violin)
    May 1: Karryn Allison (vocals)
    May 8: Bria Skonberg (trumpet)
    May 15: Peter Bernstein (guitar)
    May 22: Guest host Peter Bernstein (guitar) and Ed Cherry (guitar)
    May 29: James Chirillo (guitar)
    June 5, 12, 19, 26: Mike Stern (guitar)
    Really looking forward to Barnes/Braff tonight.Not looking forward to a whole month of Mike Stern in June.His sound after a couple of tunes just starts to grate on me.

User Info Menu

Barnes/Braff should be cool, also looking forward to James Chirillo. I don't think I've seen him on before.

User Info Menu

Tonight
    27 March 2024
    Frank Vignola's Guitar Night celebrates the Barnes/Braff Quartet with Matt Munisteri and Jon-Erik Kellso.

User Info Menu

I'm enjoying it. I have most of the Braff/Barnes recordings. John Pizzarelli is also playing tonight. Both he and Munisteri are nailing the Barnes sound and playing, using Charlie Christian pickups, and Kellso is coming pretty close to Braff's sound. Vignola, on a Gibson with McCarty pickups, not so much. He sounds a lot like Frank Vignola. Not complainin', just sayin'.