The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 94

User Info Menu

I was browsing through my cds, when I noticed I had 12 recordings with Scott Hamilton playing sax.

Great tone and great lines.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sax players I like... too many! I'll just name a couple: Joe Henderson and Jerry Bergonzi.

User Info Menu

Canonball

User Info Menu

Funny, when I saw the title I thought Scott Hamilton, too. Also Zoot Sims. And Johnny Hodges.

User Info Menu

So many....

Ike Quebec, Gerry Mulligan, Stan Getz, Lester Young, Paul Desmond, Ben Webster, Cannonball, Jimmy Forrest, Hank Mobley, Sonny Rollins, Houston Person, Dexter Gordon, Joshua Redman, Johnny Hodges, King Curtis.

User Info Menu

On a huge Coleman Hawkins binge since his birthday was this week.

User Info Menu

Trane 'n' Wayne... Paul Dunmall.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    On a huge Coleman Hawkins binge since his birthday was this week.
    Try these....

User Info Menu

....Brecker

Also a big Kenny Garrett fan. The way he can develop rhythmic ideas is so tight. I'm working on transcribing this solo right now.

I also quite like Mark Turner and Brandford Marsalis. And theres a guy named Mike Troy in NYC who's starting to get prominent. He doesn't have much of an online presence but there are some smalls live recordings of his groups, and he plays with Russel Hall's group too. He's in the Trane/Ornette school of playing I'd say.

User Info Menu

Corey Weeds.

User Info Menu

No particular order: Prez, Bird, Cannonball, Illinois Jacquet, Paul Gonsalvez, Eddie Cleanhead Vinson, James Moody, Jimmy Heath, Ben Webster, Coleman Hawkins, Al Cohn, Zoot Sims, Archie Shepp, Trane (I do not ike the late stuff, "Love Supreme" etc.), Don Byas, Paul Desmond, Buddy Tate, Louis Jordan, Pepper Adams, Serge Chaloff, Charles McPherson, Gerry Mulligan, Eric Dolphy, Yusef Lateef, Roland Rahsan Kirk, John Handy, Booker Erwin, Stan Getz, Dexter Gordon, Sonny Rollins, Lee Konitz, Warne Marsh, Cecil Payne, Leo Parker, Heinz Sauer, Johnny Hodges ...

Posting this on a guitar forum I realize that I have listened much more to jazz saxophonists and pianists than to guitarists.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BreckerFan View Post
    Also a big Kenny Garrett fan.
    Me too! Mainly because of the second disk of the incredible Five Peace Band album. Too incredible for words...

I should get round to listening to other albums he appears on.

Gary Bartz is also awesome...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by James W View Post
    Me too! Mainly because of the second disk of the incredible Five Peace Band album. Too incredible for words...

I should get round to listening to other albums he appears on.

Gary Bartz is also awesome...
    Oh man somehow I missed this album, that's a stacked lineup tho I'll have to check it out.

Probably my fav Garrett albums are Pursuance, Songbook, and Triology. Songbook has Kenny Kirkland on it too which is an added treat. African exchange student has some good tracks on it too. And then he was sideman on the two records that Freddie Hubbard and Woody Shaw did together, some great playing on those.

User Info Menu

My fav is Dexter. But if I want to get my groove on it’s got to be Gerald Albright! He’s a long time LA session musician who made it big with this album:

Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 11-23-2023 at 01:29 PM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Check out Yusef Lateef (and Barry Harris on piano) playing this

moat beautiful ballad performance ever? It’s up there imo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BreckerFan View Post
    Oh man somehow I missed this album, that's a stacked lineup tho I'll have to check it out.

Probably my fav Garrett albums are Pursuance, Songbook, and Triology. Songbook has Kenny Kirkland on it too which is an added treat. African exchange student has some good tracks on it too. And then he was sideman on the two records that Freddie Hubbard and Woody Shaw did together, some great playing on those.
    Thanks. (BTW I noticed beneath the youtube video I posted it says Herbie Hancock plays on tracks 2 - 3, which is not in fact true, he only plays on track 3).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop View Post
    My fav is Dexter. But if I want to get my groove on it’s got to be Gerald Albright! He’s a long time LA session musician who made it big with this album:

I had forgotten I have this one on CD LOL. Had this Georgia version on heavy rotation in the 90ies.

User Info Menu

Sentimental memories playing support act for Maceo once upon a time in the late nineties with my band. And our backliner told me Maceo watched our whole show from backstage.

Last edited by Bop Head; 11-22-2023 at 03:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Not much to add to the above. I love all the classic players. I probably listen most to Trane, Getz, Cannonball and Dexter. Also kudoes to Bernie Maupin for his bass clarinet on so many Miles and Herbie Hancock.

More recent players: Joe Henderson, Joe Farrell, Kenny Garrett.

I actually don't listen to a lot of young sax players, for no particular reason except I prefer guitar-based music these days. But I do like Donny McCaslin, and in fact listened to his incredible sax work on Bowie's last album Blackstar yesterday. Phenomenal work on that album by all musicians.

User Info Menu

Paul Desmond - especially with Ed Bickert or Jim Hall

Stan Getz circa 1962, His tone changed later in life.

James Carter - great, adventurous player - 'Chasin' the Gypsy' is a great record

Charles Lloyd - thanks for 'Forrest Flower' and his modern band with Leisz and Frisell

Benny Carter - love his inflected arpeggios style

Earl Bostic - great ideas and facility plus that unique "strip club" raspy tone

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV View Post
    Paul Desmond - especially with Ed Bickert
    Yes, indeed! That Toronto set is one of my most played sets.

User Info Menu

Phil Woods.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head View Post
    No particular order: Prez, Bird, Cannonball, Illinois Jacquet, Paul Gonsalvez, Eddie Cleanhead Vinson, James Moody, Jimmy Heath, Ben Webster, Coleman Hawkins, Al Cohn, Zoot Sims, Archie Shepp, Trane (I do not ike the late stuff, "Love Supreme" etc.), Don Byas, Paul Desmond, Buddy Tate, Louis Jordan, Pepper Adams, Serge Chaloff, Charles McPherson, Gerry Mulligan, Eric Dolphy, Yusef Lateef, Roland Rahsan Kirk, John Handy, Booker Erwin, Stan Getz, Dexter Gordon, Sonny Rollins, Lee Konitz, Warne Marsh, Cecil Payne, Leo Parker, Heinz Sauer, Johnny Hodges ...

Posting this on a guitar forum I realize that I have listened much more to jazz saxophonists and pianists than to guitarists.
    Yeah all those guys, but I'd swap Buddy, Serge and Heinz (cos I don't know them) for Jackie Maclean and Tina Brooks, oh and Michael Brecker, which is about as modern as I get with the Saxers, I should get out more...

User Info Menu

Steve Lacy (soprano sax)
    Ornette Coleman
    Albert Ayler
    Anthony Braxton
    Pharoah Sanders
    Sonny Rollins
    Lee Konitz
    Lester Young