The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 94

User Info Menu

It was a free concert of squawks and squeaks and structure-free noodling. I haven't listened to anything by Sheep since. To be fair, I should give a listen to how he sounds now.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV View Post
    It was a free concert of squawks and squeaks and structure-free noodling. I haven't listened to anything by Sheep since. To be fair, I should give a listen to how he sounds now.
    I like his last record, "Bah-Bah Blues"

User Info Menu

Many.. but Paul Desmond and John Coltrane were unique and seem to tap into the Force in a way few could.

User Info Menu

Stan Getz and his contribution to Johnny Smith's "Moonlight in Vermont".

Tom

User Info Menu

Eddie Lockjaw Davies

User Info Menu

Getz, Desmond and an LA tenor player named Robert Kyle. Also, Stanley Turrentine.

User Info Menu

Lester Young.

I'm been enjoying playing the cd with Oscar Peterson trio today.

Barney Kessel on guitar.

User Info Menu

Rather than particular players I prefer particular tracks, it doesn't matter who plays them. It all depends on the track.

User Info Menu

John Coltrane

Cannonball Adderley

User Info Menu

I never met a sax player I didn't like. Guitarists, on the other hand...

User Info Menu

I've been revisiting Ben Webster today.

His big breathy tone is fantastic.

User Info Menu

For current players, I like Harry Allen. For those now gone, Lester Young.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BreckerFan View Post
    ....Brecker

Thought there'd be more Brecker fans among guitar players - or is it just the Rock guys that would give 3 of their testicles to sound like this:

brecker brothers heavy metal bebop - Google Search

... his solo starts at 1.58, oh, try slowing down the phrase at 2.13 to 50% . Its still fuckin' fast!

User Info Menu

Previous post has me listening to Hank Mobley.

Damn!

User Info Menu

Dexter Gordon

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B View Post
    Dexter Gordon
    Was just listening to some Dex (as I often do). There's a reason we keep going back to him, for me it's because I feel this really cool personality. I mean, I also get that from a few of the past greats, Pres, Jackie Mac, early Rollins, early Wayne, early Cannonball (in a more "joyous" way though), but there's just something about Dexter. Put it this way, if you're like me, if all the greats were at the same party, you'd make your way to Dexter's corner to hear his stories ahead of anyone else's...

User Info Menu

Any of these guys…..

Sax Players You Like.-christianm77_right-_i_mean_if_you_think_youre_too_deep_to_play__81f93f1b-4ab6-4889-beb7-2f614c72-png

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller View Post
    Any of these guys…..

Sax Players You Like.-christianm77_right-_i_mean_if_you_think_youre_too_deep_to_play__81f93f1b-4ab6-4889-beb7-2f614c72-png
    White old men ... AI sucks Maybe we could use some blockchain as well to document how jazz musicians influence each other ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone View Post
    Previous post has me listening to Hank Mobley.

Damn!
    Grant Green's playing on Workout is some of my favorite Green sideman work, but Mobley is the star here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal View Post
    Grant Green's playing on Workout is some of my favorite Green sideman work, but Mobley is the star here.
    And Philly Joe Jones!

User Info Menu

Ted Brown

User Info Menu

Too many to list, as far as those I like. Favorites? Getz, Watts, Berg, Shorter, and Woods.

User Info Menu

I heard Joe Lovano live more than a few years ago. He was great and I am not generally a fan of jazz sax.

User Info Menu

All the good ones

Always had a soft spot for Gary Bartz on this. To me, it's the sound of someone offering their soul on a plate...