The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 94

User Info Menu

Pharaoh Sanders last album is one for the ages.

This may not be true of every jazzer, but a lot of sax players sure put out great work not too long before they passed.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Lots of great players listed!

In no order:
    - Wayne and Trane, of course!
    - Bergonzi
    - Garzone
    - Lovano
    - Mark Turner
    - Melissa Aldana
    - Jerome Sabbagh
    - Loren Stillman
    - Chris Cheek
    - Chris Potter
    [and more!]

User Info Menu

I've just been listening to Stan Tracy's Under Milk Wood on cd.

Bobby Wellins on Sax. Another great tone. I saw him a few times live too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head View Post
    I had forgotten I have this one on CD LOL. Had this Georgia version on heavy rotation in the 90ies.
    Okay, here’s the deal. I too had already bought that CD because the local jazz station seemed to play Georgia once every hour. In 1992 Gerald Albright came to town with his band to Seattle’s Jazz Alley for a 6 night gig. And Gerald actually performed many straight ahead charts on that gig. But don’t you know that he was so excellent that I came back a 2nd and 3rd night bringing several people in tow to hear him. I had never heard a tenor or alto player that hit such high notes that weren’t even on the charts. And all this from a player whose first instrument was piano, who switched to sax because a piano teacher had his saxophone near his piano. And as if that isn’t amazing enough Gerald actually has doubled on Bass for many recording sessions with Anita Baker, Aretha Franklin, etc. etc.etc.

Gerald is simply one gifted musician.

User Info Menu

I've been listening to a Frank Lowe album called Lowe Down & Blue with Bern Nix on guitar.
    Steve Lacy is someone I keep returning to. His recorded output is absolutely vast.

User Info Menu

Bird, Lucky Thompson, Dexter Gordon, Wardell Gray, early Sonny Rollins, Hank Mobley, Sonny Stitt, Sonny Criss.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersoul View Post
    I've been listening to a Frank Lowe album called Lowe Down & Blue with Bern Nix on guitar.
    Steve Lacy is someone I keep returning to. His recorded output is absolutely vast.
    Man, we seem to be on the same page! I love Frank Lowe and Bern is one of my favorite guitar improvisers.
    As for Steve Lacy, I have looked to his work and writings for my entire life it seems. To me he is the ultimate artist-musician-composer- improviser.

User Info Menu

Don’t sleep on Warne Marsh….

User Info Menu

Warne and Lee were a pretty established double act of course…

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller View Post

Warne and Lee were a pretty established double act of course…
    I have that set (4 CDs), it also has some nice guitar by Dave Cliff (he was in the band for some of the tour).

User Info Menu

The Little Giant (Johnny Griffin).

User Info Menu

As for sax players I don't like, I saw Archie Shepp live in Rome in 1976. That's 2 hours of my life I'll never get back.

A lot of what John Klemmer has recorded falls into the smooth jazz bucket but I like this duo album ...

Last edited by AndyV; 11-26-2023 at 08:18 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV View Post
    As for sax players I don't like, I saw Archie Sheep live in Rome in 1976. That's 2 hours of my life I'll never get back.

A lot of what John Klemmer has recorded falls into the smooth jazz bucket but I like this duo album ...

I love this blues album with Horace Parlan

User Info Menu

Larry McKenna. RIP.

User Info Menu

I’m pretty tired of saxophone.

User Info Menu

As for sax players I don't like, I saw Archie Sheep live in Rome in 1976. That's 2 hours of my life I'll never get back.
    I don’t suppose there were many flocking to that gig. Ewe could have tried to get your money back?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop View Post
    I have that set (4 CDs), it also has some nice guitar by Dave Cliff (he was in the band for some of the tour).
    Mines in storage somewhere with all my other CD’s. Cliffy was pretty young at this point I think? Peter Ind on bass (when it’s not NHOP) was his teacher at Leeds iirc
    Last edited by Christian Miller; 11-25-2023 at 05:42 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller View Post
    Mines in storage somewhere with all my other CD’s. Cliffy was pretty young at this point I think? Peter Ind on bass (when it’s not NHOP) was his teacher at Leeds iirc
    Found this photo online of them all doing a gig in Whitley Bay (!). Dave Cliff is in the bottom right pic.

Sax Players You Like.-img_0697-jpeg

User Info Menu

So many but man, Art Pepper was just such a great improvisor it's almost scary, didn't have a cliche in his whole body.
    He just kept evolving to the end, a favorite is his reading of When The Sun Comes Out from his "Wintermoon" lp

User Info Menu

Just to name a Sax-Player besides the usual suspects:

Big Jay Mcneely

User Info Menu

Gato Barbieri
    Eric Dolphy
    Charlie Rouse with Monk's Quartet

User Info Menu

Spike Robinson with Martin Taylor on guitar. Released 1984.

I heard Spike play a few times in the past. I liked his breathy sax tone.

User Info Menu

I saw Archie Shepp live in Paris sometime in the 1990's, a great night, smoking was banned in the venue that night too and the Parisians obeyed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Just to name a Sax-Player besides the usual suspects:

Big Jay Mcneely
    Just found a great lecture by Big Jay.

(2 Parts, low volume)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon View Post
    So many but man, Art Pepper was just such a great improvisor it's almost scary, didn't have a cliche in his whole body.
    He just kept evolving to the end, a favorite is his reading of When The Sun Comes Out from his "Wintermoon" lp

Thanks for reminding me of the sax player I wanted to post but couldn't remember.