The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

So, I have stated several times that I thought Joe sounded fantastic/best on his last Gibson guitar, particularly the Jazz Baltica 1992 video and his Musicians Institute video "An Evening with Joe Pass." I have not infrequently blamed his Ibanez for years of subpar tone; I think I have an exception to that too. Anyway, here is Joe and NHOP with Joe playing his Jimmy D'Aquisto guitar and sounding absolutely fantastic:

And with NHOP on the Ibanez and sounding pretty good, too, through a Polytone amp. Not as good as the D'Aquisto or the Gibson (or his ES-175) but better than many of his videos featuring the Ibanez. I wonder if the sounds I don't care for with the Ibanez were the results of going direct to FOH rather than through an amp to provide some warmth, fatness and EQ.

And with NHOP and the Gibson in 1992:

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Though I would listen to Joe regardless of his tone, I'm inclined to agree with you here—it took about 3 notes! My guess is that Joe thought his Ibanez tone was "good enough"...

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Cunamara;1298889]<<SNIP>>
    And with NHOP on the Ibanez and sounding pretty good, too, through a Polytone amp. Not as good as the D'Aquisto or the Gibson (or his ES-175) but better than many of his videos featuring the Ibanez. I wonder if the sounds I don't care for with the Ibanez were the results of going direct to FOH rather than through an amp to provide some warmth, fatness and EQ.

<<SNIP>>/QUOTE]

Well we are often criticized for "listening with our eyes" and the loafers with white socks might contribute to that!

User Info Menu

In the first clip it's the shirt. Seriously, the shirt.

User Info Menu

I think the middle setting on my Strat sounds great. Just like JP's Ibanez.

User Info Menu

As someone who has definitely commented in the past that there are several recorded album tones Joe used that I didn't care for, I don't think I've ever seen a live clip where I didn't like his sound. All three of these sound great to me.