The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

I know that some of the Forum members could put up something equally inspiring, but I'd be interested to hear the members' take on these varied performances.
    Just a coupla choruses each, and you can fast forward past the ones you don't like. A treasure trove of vocab!

2 questions, which was your outright favourite? and, Why?

FWIW, mine was Camile Meza. Why? I don't know! Her swingin' in the pocket groove, choice of notes, the way her lines dictated her technique and not the other way around? Dunno, she just grabbed me in a way that many of the others didn't, but how about you guys?
    Last edited by princeplanet; 11-18-2023 at 10:24 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

hmm, no takers eh? Ah well, I guess no-one will be too interested in this next challenge either? ...

... and no, I'm not affiliated in any way with this Chase Maddox fellow

User Info Menu

She was my favorite too by far. Heavy pocket.

User Info Menu

Yeah she sounded awesome. Also loved Sheryl Baileys. She’s just a monster player. Super modern but also swings like crazy. Love her. And love that she did a minor blues.

User Info Menu

I'll go with my three favorites:

Mason Razavi, Camila Meza, Taylor Roberts, Chris Whiteman

Oops that's four.

User Info Menu

Bobby Broom for me. Interesting lines and phrasing without losing a blues feeling. He's hearing it intensely and really improvising, bringing it out from his body not just wiggling his fingers. Closest to retaining "the Blues" despite the abstraction not just the form. Some things reminded me of Dennis Budimir.

Also dug Rodney Jones that shit was happening now.

User Info Menu

Lotta really nice stuff happening. For tone, Chris Whiteman. For use of space and cool lines Sheryl Baily. For musicality and flow, Camila Meza. For commitment to blues feeling, Bobby Broom. I like that no one seem to be competing for chops or showing off. They were teaching and communing.

User Info Menu

A lot of really good ones. Bobby's one of my favorite players, so its hard not to pick him, but Mason's stuff was my kind of blues too...I didn't dislike any of em.

We should play this game too. I'm willing to kick it off. Gonna limit the talking though

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    A lot of really good ones. Bobby's one of my favorite players, so its hard not to pick him, but Mason's stuff was my kind of blues too...I didn't dislike any of em.

We should play this game too. I'm willing to kick it off. Gonna limit the talking though
    Oh man. Do it.

User Info Menu

Great thread and clip. Not just a treasure trove of vocab, a treasure trove of style and approaches.

My favorite by far was the Mr gypsy jazz guy Stephane Wrembel. That's my favorite thing about an approach, if it can be rhythmically aggressive and melodically catchy. Also Camila Meza was extremely driving rhythmically while probably being the most linear and lyrical out of the bunch. Really impressive.

Next, I realized another thing in an approach that I'm drawn to is angular playing. Bobby Broom was nice and angular while keeping it bluesy like you guys mentioned. He seemed to be actively searching for interesting stuff which I liked. Also I liked strat guy Will Brahm's sneaky combo of smooth yet angular.

The last thing I was drawn to was a cool crisp sound with good technique and some pretty chords. The 7 string guy Taylor Roberts and Chris Whiteman.

I should probably work on emphasizing these attributes in my playing.
    Last edited by Jimmy Smith; 11-22-2023 at 11:48 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet

I know that some of the Forum members could put up something equally inspiring, but I'd be interested to hear the members' take on these varied performances.
    Just a coupla choruses each, and you can fast forward past the ones you don't like. A treasure trove of vocab!

2 questions, which was your outright favourite? and, Why?

FWIW, mine was Camile Meza. Why? I don't know! Her swingin' in the pocket groove, choice of notes, the way her lines dictated her technique and not the other way around? Dunno, she just grabbed me in a way that many of the others didn't, but how about you guys?
    This is basically a master class. I can't even begin to choose a favorite because it's a deluge of ideas and thoughts. I will need to watch this several times to absorb what's there.