The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 90

User Info Menu

Julian has a new single out:

According to YouTube, the personnel is:

Julian Lage: Acoustic GuitarJorge Roeder: Double Bass & Electric BassDave King: DrumsPatrick Warren: Piano

- but I'll be damned if that piano doesn't sound like an electric guitar.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Not the most compelling track of his IMO but I am psyched to catch him on the tour coming up

User Info Menu

Most producers would suggest that the intro on this track be played on an acoustic with a capo - I'm glad that Julian wouldn't bow to any such suggestion. Hopefully its the start of a trend.

User Info Menu

That's some real commercial shit. Going for the money or what?

User Info Menu

Sounds like music that would play in a movie. The scene is a montage of some friends driving along highway 1 with the top down.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dean_G
    Maybe it's just what he felt like writing at the time. Funny how some people look at "commercial" (and this isn't anyway- it's not going to sell a million copies or anything) like it's automatically a bad thing .... just because it's not as "avant garde" as his recent stuff doesn't mean it's "commercial".

Charlie Christian played "commercial" music at the time.

User Info Menu

Beware: the jazz police...

User Info Menu

I was waiting for Joni Mitchell to start singing :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I was waiting for Joni Mitchell to start singing :-)
    Oooh, that would be a sweet collab.

User Info Menu

I was thinking John Denver

"Commercial" I admit was a poor choice of words. Too loaded. Not saying being paid for ones music is wrong. More a question of integrity/intent. Lage is a tremendous guitar player, but now he's a folksy stylist, or then he's (mostly unsuccessfully imo ) a free jazzer, then mainstream...who is he? Will the real JL please stand up? What, your freeish playing wasn't getting enough likes? Better back off and reassure his fans. BTW he's never done anything "avant garde" perhaps he needs to copy Derek Bailey or Joe Morris next, he has the chops.

Comparing him in any way to Charlie Christian doesn't fly. CC pushed the boundaries of jazz harmony and phrasing that helped create bebop. In it's time it was "avant garde" within jazz circles of the time.

User Info Menu

I was thinking John Denver

"Commercial" I admit was a poor choice of words. Too loaded. Not saying being paid for ones music is wrong. More a question of integrity/intent. Lage is a tremendous guitar player, but now he's a folksy stylist, or then he's (mostly unsuccessfully imo ) a free jazzer, then mainstream...who is he? Will the real JL please stand up?

Comparing him in any way to Charlie Christian doesn't fly. CC pushed the boundaries of jazz harmony and phrasing that helped create bebop. In it's time it was "avant garde" within jazz circles of the time.
    He can't be both? He must "decide" and pigeon-hole himself for the satisfaction of some listeners?

Some days I pick up my Charvel shredder and play like Vai. Some days I pick up my tele and play like Duke Levine. Some days I pick up my Gretsch and play like Brian Setzer. Who am I? I am me, which encompasses all of those.

And the CC comparison is 100% valid: he was playing the most popular music at that time. That's what "commercial" means.

Maybe just try listening to and enjoying the music instead of analyzing it's inspiration and intent? Or don't- your loss.

User Info Menu

Just my opinion, anyone can do anything they want, I really don't care. Guess I am too old school, not "postmodern" enough to truly appreciate this. It's boring to me.
    I just don't understand this constant genre shifting and what it has to do with jazz as I have known it. Not just with this guy but many of these current wizards of the strings don't seem to have ideas that don't seem to be clever novelties to keep attention on them. Maybe he could do a surf music album next. So yes I am the wrong guy for this and shouldn't rain on anyone 's parade. Don't worry, I feel no loss here.

User Info Menu

"Maybe he could do a surf music album next"...? hmmm that's a fantastic idea! I for one would be all over it. He likes the Gretsch sound, so it wouldn't be far off for him to go that route.

User Info Menu

It is not the kind of music I would expect Julian Lage to play, and not the kind of music I enjoy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    It is not the kind of music I would expect Julian Lage to play, and not the kind of music I enjoy.
    IDK what the rest of this new album sounds like, but if it's more of that:

He did do an acoustic/non-jazzy album before: Worlds Fair, which was well-received. And speaking of albums like this, what about Pat Metheny? I think everyone here would agree he "is jazz", but was it OK for him to do something similar with "One Quiet Night"?

User Info Menu

... A-and what did people think of Rosenwinkel's Caipi album? It rated a "meh" with me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    IDK what the rest of this new album sounds like, but if it's more of that:

He did do an acoustic/non-jazzy album before: Worlds Fair, which was well-received. And speaking of albums like this, what about Pat Metheny? I think everyone here would agree he "is jazz", but was it OK for him to do something similar with "One Quiet Night"?

Perfectly OK. His time, his career, his guitar (made by Linda Manzer), and it won him the Grammy Award for Best New Age Album in 2004. I suppose he was looking for another audience (and possibly more sales), but also wanting to express something that was beyond jazz. I suppose Lage is doing something similar.

Cynics might say that musicians make this sort of recording (instrumental, noncommittal) in the hope of it being chosen as theme music for a film, TV show or commercial — bringing royalties and popularity. But I think Metheny and Lage are sincere artists.

User Info Menu

You lot don't get it. Julian Lage is what he is. He's way above the norm and he can play what he wants and what he likes. You're judging him basically by your own standards and consequently it means nothing at all.

It's not the jazz police but it's certainly the jazz mediocrity.

Incidentally, it's not just a 'single' in the pop sense but one of the tracks from a forthcoming album on Blue Note.

User Info Menu

Nothin' new. Never forget Julian was brought up in Northern California. His grandad might've an early hippy. It's in his blood.

He did a lot of work around 7 years ago with Chris Eldridge, a bonafide bluegrass player.

Here's something from around that time:

Some damn fine pickin', but I prefer his Blues Connotation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    You lot don't get it. Julian Lage is what he is. He's way above the norm and he can play what he wants and what he likes. You're judging him basically by your own standards and consequently it means nothing at all.

It's not the jazz police but it's certainly the jazz mediocrity.

Incidentally, it's not just a 'single' in the pop sense but one of the tracks from a forthcoming album on Blue Note.
    How is the air up there?

User Info Menu

OMG sorry I posted this. I didn’t know a simple instrumental tune would generate so much controversy.

Julian isn’t Wes. So what?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I love it. kudos to Juilan for going to new places and just making good music, period.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    Nothin' new. Never forget Julian was brought up in Northern California. His grandad might've an early hippy. It's in his blood.

He did a lot of work around 7 years ago with Chris Eldridge, a bonafide bluegrass player.

Here's something from around that time:

Some damn fine pickin', but I prefer his Blues Connotation.

That was great!! Did they do an album together or what? This calls for a deep dive...

User Info Menu

Cool video with them discussing improvisation, and yes they did do an album together: Mount Royal. Will definitely be checking it out, I dig bluegrass.

User Info Menu

Mount Royal
    Also Avalon.