The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

A cornucopia of visual and aural delights:

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

It surprised me how much they were all in more or less the same sonic ballpark with only a few having a sound that I would describe as "throaty."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE-fmZYaZLE
    Last edited by AndyV; 11-09-2023 at 06:49 PM.

User Info Menu

Interesting! There's deff some I didn't like as much as others, but there's so many I can't remember which.

(it's not like I'm in the market for one...)

User Info Menu

Incredible playing by Martin! Sound-wise the Gibson and the Benedetto stood out for me.

User Info Menu

The green ones shouldn't count...

User Info Menu

Then eventually none of them will count. The blue dye is unstable and changes to green over time.

User Info Menu

There's so much Blue Bossa on the forms these days! Perhaps too much

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Then eventually none of them will count. The blue dye is unstable and changes to green over time.
    This is why I bought a red guitar....

Also - is this true ? why can't you dye wood blue ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dot75
    This is why I bought a red guitar....

Also - is this true ? why can't you dye wood blue ?
    Guitars can be dyed blue but the batch that all the builders were given back then (Mohawk iirc) had a tendency to change to a greenish hue, though not all the guitars have changed at the same rate/color.

User Info Menu

The boy can play!

User Info Menu

I esp. liked the Hollenbeck, Buscarino and (somewhat less) the Megas and Grimes. A bit disappointed that the Ribbecke isn't included, but it's already hard enough to make a sensible distinction when they're not all used for exactly the same notes.

The Gibson probably sounds the most like a jazzguitar should sound - but then they more or less defined the term, didn't they...

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV
    It surprised me how much they were all in more or less the same sonic ballpark with only a few having a sound that I would describe as "throaty."[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nE-fmZYaZLE"
    I guess that you'd get as many different sound signatures if you performed that same "strum" on a single of the guitars (esp. if you vary the recording angle and distance too).