The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Learn to play McCoy Tyner, inside/outside 4th+5th, quartal chords

Really excited to show these to you. The voicing I'm discussing in this video is a stacked 4ths triad with an added 5th on top.

So you end up with something like this in 2nd position:

E-A-D-A, the middle note is doubled on top. And it's a familiar voicing to anyone who has listened to mccoy tyner, pat metheny, allan holdsworth, eric johnson, etc.

I typically use these on the top 2 groups of 4 strings. They can get a little muddy on the bottom 4 strings.

They are powerful voicings because the added octave adds density and because they do not contain a 3rd, they are ambiguous enough to really be useful for doing inside/outside playing or to specify melodies with ambiguous harmonies underneath.

One way to use these is to harmonize them modally. Here's the set of chords on the top 4 and middle 4 strings, harmonized in a D Dorian tonality. Note that when used modally, there are a couple voicings that are not perfect 4ths. It only adds to the mystique.

Because of the ambiguity, they are perfect for moving around chromatically which I will demonstrate here. Note that while you are moving around, you can slide in and out of the specified harmony. When I use these chromatically, I try to end the sequence on an inside-sounding chord.

I will also demonstrate this over a d minor blues. Here is an example with the chords notated. Note, this example is all inside the harmony.

#mccoytyner #patmetheny #ericjohnson #allanholdsworth
    #sweeppicking #fusionguitar
    #hexatonic #picking
    #bebop #bebopguitar #beboplicks
    #jazzguitar #modernjazzguitar #legatoguitar #jazzguitarlicks #jazzguitarriffs #outsideplaying
    #pentatonics

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

hey guys, if you find this useful please comment!

User Info Menu

Thanks Jack. This was a bit of a revelation for me as I saw it just after happening to see an old video of Jim Mullen playing live - sliding the bejesus of a x55675 shape over Canteloupe Island.

The penny has dropped for me that it’s actually easy to slide such voicings around quite freely and to resolve without any trouble. It’s a lot of fun and a great thing to do if you find yourself going nowhere in the middle of a solo snd need to change gear.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff23
    Thanks Jack. This was a bit of a revelation for me as I saw it just after happening to see an old video of Jim Mullen playing live - sliding the bejesus of a x55675 shape over Canteloupe Island.

The penny has dropped for me that it’s actually easy to slide such voicings around quite freely and to resolve without any trouble. It’s a lot of fun and a great thing to do if you find yourself going nowhere in the middle of a solo snd need to change gear.
    Thanks for commenting. I have used these techniques for a while but found it a bit challenging to demonstrate them on video in a way that would makes sense to people who have never tried it. Glad you found your way through the technique on your own. I love the sound. I love the straight 4th chord sound too

User Info Menu

Very useful, I use the stacked fourths chords quite a bit but the 5th on top variant is new to me, sounds cool.

User Info Menu

Same for me. I had been playing them as 3 note voicings on top 3 and next 3 strings.

For me, the epiphany was that, in conventional tonal harmony, I could move the xx223x voicing (for example) through the major scale -- and then use all seven of the voicings (in the correct tonal center for the tune) -- largely interchangeably against major, subdominant and dominant chords. You have to use your ear and keep them moving, but it works and it can be a nice alternative to the usual harmony involving keeping the dominants and tonics separate and hearing all the thirds.

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Same for me. I had been playing them as 3 note voicings on top 3 and next 3 strings.

For me, the epiphany was that, in conventional tonal harmony, I could move the xx223x voicing (for example) through the major scale -- and then use all seven of the voicings (in the correct tonal center for the tune) -- largely interchangeably against major, subdominant and dominant chords. You have to use your ear and keep them moving, but it works and it can be a nice alternative to the usual harmony involving keeping the dominants and tonics separate and hearing all the thirds.
    That's it exactly! People forget that theory is "after-the-fact" analysis. It means nothing. If it sounds good, it's good - regardless of what the analysis says.

I'm old enough that I think of it as "sonic shapes" sometimes. It doesn't matter to me if a repeating pattern (shape-wise) falters because of the B & G string tuning. That's part of what makes the instrument magical.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    That's it exactly! People forget that theory is "after-the-fact" analysis. It means nothing. If it sounds good, it's good - regardless of what the analysis says.

I'm old enough that I think of it as "sonic shapes" sometimes. It doesn't matter to me if a repeating pattern (shape-wise) falters because of the B & G string tuning. That's part of what makes the instrument magical.
    When you move a short stack of fourths (xx223x) through the major scale, you need 3 grips. Same thing through melodic minor, you need 4 grips. Miss a grip? Decide whether it's clams or jazz.

Bear in mind, btw, that you can get a whole new series of sounds by moving the note on the D string up an octave and playing it on the E string instead.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the fifth on top Jack! I've been doing 4th's like the other guys here for ages, but never stumbled into that. (i guess to a large degree much of what I've learned is the result of stumbling around in clams and jazz...)

User Info Menu

This has been my secret move for about 20 years. Playing these voicings up and down the fretboard always adds a sense of forward movement to passages, and an added sense of depth and space. Looks like I’m in the same category as a lot of other folks on this thread in that I have only really used the 3 note version….but now I’m gonna mess around with the 4 note voicings. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Great stuff, Jack, really enjoy your foray into lessons, especially making them bite size! Please keep going! I put these up there with all those fabulous short lessons that Reg put out a few years back.