The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Leon Redbone?

and whichever then why??

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Kind of indifferent, leaning like. Never listened much, but never turn it off if I hear it, if that makes sense?

User Info Menu

I admit to not liking his music so much in the 70's, just because it was so anachronistic and un-Steely Dan-ish. I did like his style and sense of humor though. Might be similar to my reaction to Tiny Tim and other people who tried to hearken back to an earlier style that was out of fashion.

However, later I learned to appreciate his artistry. He makes it look easy, but his style of guitar playing and singing is hard to do. TBH it's kind of similar to what I'm working on right now.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by thelostboss
    Leon Redbone?

and whichever then why??
    Love him! Very high quality stuff, and popular as hell too. Not every artist can claim that..

User Info Menu

Never saw him in a room at the same time as Frank Zappa, though. They were the same guy.

joelf Guest
    He often had only tuba accompaniment, and kept perfect time with it. They were a band.

He also picked repertoire that was a perfect fit for him----style and abilities, even limitations. And his presentation of said repertoire was uber-cool---literally. No wasted energy (though I can see where he may have been too laid-back for some tastes).

And I loved his bass (or low bari?), growly voice. Reminded me a bit of Pops. And that voice was also right in rhythmic sync with the tuba and his guitar. A trio!

User Info Menu

The wife and I LOVED Leon and long before he appeared in Elf. Love it when you can become a caricature and make a living doing it.

User Info Menu

"Streaks on the China....never seen em before, who cares
    When you drop kicked your jacket
    As you came thru the door, no one glared......"
    Loved that show!

I liked him. Seemed to be the real deal on stage and in life. No real facts about him. Was married when he died, I believe, but not a lot revealed. Had some wonderful quotes. I regret I never experienced him in person.

User Info Menu

Love this version of Walking Stick..

User Info Menu

He lived in my area, I used to hear about him, but I wasn't into his music, never heard him play.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Never saw him in a room at the same time as Frank Zappa, though. They were the same guy.
    ... Nor with Groucho Marx.... Hmmm....

User Info Menu

He gave good gigs to a lot of jazz players. I did a gig with his drummer, an Italian guy who had been on the road with him for years. Swing oriented player.