The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Check it out here.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks for the heads-up on its release! Saw some footage of a test pressing on Instagram months ago but since then nothing about a release date. Looks like it's out now via J.M.I Recordings. Available from them on vinyl. Recorded to tape in the studio.

LINK: Lage Lund - Ashes (12" vinyl LP) — J.M.I. RECORDINGS

From Ike Quebec recommending Thelonious Monk and Bud Powell to Alfred Lion and Francis Wolff to Kenny Drew convincing every jazz star passing through Copenhagen to let Nils Winther record their shows, jazz labels have a rich history of receiving A&R help from musicians already on their label. So it was when Sasha Berliner raved about Norwegian guitarist Lage Lund. One quick listen to Lage’s fluid, distinctive lines and exquisite taste on guitar and we were hooked. In classic JMI fashion, we matched him in a trio with other favorites we wanted on the label. Tyshawn Sorey on drums and Matt Brewer on bass had both made our list with knockout avant garde performances at New York’s most active and searching venue, the Jazz Gallery. Lage’s recording session, held one day after the David Murray session which produced JMI-10, was a dream. When we got the results, one of our first pressings from our new plant in Paris, we were gobsmacked. This record embodies the sound we’ve been shooting for since we started the label. The cover was shot in a bizarre, dedicated photo shoot by Roz Wertheimer.

Lage Lund - NEW ALBUM (Ashes)-lagelund_ashes_back-jpg

User Info Menu

You can hear the whole album on his SoundCloud page. Personally, I thought it was a bit dull and I'm not sure it'll interest many people. I could be wrong, of course.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    You can hear the whole album on his SoundCloud page. Personally, I thought it was a bit dull and I'm not sure it'll interest many people. I could be wrong, of course.
    I think you're deaf or you talk weird things...I could be wrong of course.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    That is what I posted in the OP. I personally love the album, but I am a huge fan of his style.

User Info Menu

Hoping to hear it over at Spotify soon, but it is not uploaded at the moment.

User Info Menu

CD, for those of us with nice speakers (and no record player)?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Melodic Dreamer
    That is what I posted in the OP.
    Yes, but if you click on Lund's name on that clip it takes you to his SoundCloud profile page where the tracks are listed separately by title. Maybe not everyone would realise that :-)

User Info Menu

Checked with record company: "No CDs for old dudes."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    "No CDs for old dudes."
    That was a great movie!
    :-)

User Info Menu

Looking at the recording chain details on the LP back cover and the company history on their website, JMI Recordings appear dedicated to producing vinyl only in an all-analog recording and mastering chain (very audiophile).

You will however be able to stream and get a CD of another new Lage Lund recording, 'Most Peculiar', out on Criss Cross on 3 November. It's the same trio as 'Ashes', expanded to a quartet with the addition of pianist Sullivan Fortner.

Link with sound samples: Most Peculiar

Lage Lund - NEW ALBUM (Ashes)-1412-jpg

User Info Menu

I've been a huge Lage fan. Such an adventurous and gorgeous documentation of three of most sensitive and musical cats alive. Just from my little computer speakers, I'm so excited. I just moved to my new place and have set up my Thorens in one room, my Dual in the office. This is why.
    Can't wait to bring the boys into my house. Tyshawn's drumming is as insightfully melodic as Paul Motian's. As a matter of fact I can't help make comparisons and impressions to Bill Frisell's trio work with Paul Motian.
    Chamber music for people who listen. Everything I love about Lage in three dimensions.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    I've been a huge Lage fan. Such an adventurous and gorgeous documentation of three of most sensitive and musical cats alive. Just from my little computer speakers, I'm so excited. I just moved to my new place and have set up my Thorens in one room, my Dual in the office. This is why.
    Can't wait to bring the boys into my house. Tyshawn's drumming is as insightfully melodic as Paul Motian's. As a matter of fact I can't help make comparisons and impressions to Bill Frisell's trio work with Paul Motian.
    Chamber music for people who listen. Everything I love about Lage in three dimensions.
    Speaking of Tyshawn and Motian.
    I saw Frisell and Lavano with Tyshawn earlier this year at the Big Ears festival in Knoxville Tn.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Looking at the recording chain details on the LP back cover and the company history on their website, JMI Recordings appear dedicated to producing vinyl only in an all-analog recording and mastering chain (very audiophile).

You will however be able to stream and get a CD of another new Lage Lund recording, 'Most Peculiar', out on Criss Cross on 3 November. It's the same trio as 'Ashes', expanded to a quartet with the addition of pianist Sullivan Fortner.

Link with sound samples: Most Peculiar

Lage Lund - NEW ALBUM (Ashes)-1412-jpg
    I've been waiting for this one. Clips sound great.
    Thanks for posting.

User Info Menu

Just listened to the new Criss Cross release. Most Peculiar indeed. The album is definitely quirky. Enjoyed the home school session videos during the pandemic. Nice to hear them fleshed out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Thanks for the heads-up on its release! Saw some footage of a test pressing on Instagram months ago but since then nothing about a release date. Looks like it's out now via J.M.I Recordings. Available from them on vinyl. Recorded to tape in the studio.

LINK: Lage Lund - Ashes (12" vinyl LP) — J.M.I. RECORDINGS

From Ike Quebec recommending Thelonious Monk and Bud Powell to Alfred Lion and Francis Wolff to Kenny Drew convincing every jazz star passing through Copenhagen to let Nils Winther record their shows, jazz labels have a rich history of receiving A&R help from musicians already on their label. So it was when Sasha Berliner raved about Norwegian guitarist Lage Lund. One quick listen to Lage’s fluid, distinctive lines and exquisite taste on guitar and we were hooked. In classic JMI fashion, we matched him in a trio with other favorites we wanted on the label. Tyshawn Sorey on drums and Matt Brewer on bass had both made our list with knockout avant garde performances at New York’s most active and searching venue, the Jazz Gallery. Lage’s recording session, held one day after the David Murray session which produced JMI-10, was a dream. When we got the results, one of our first pressings from our new plant in Paris, we were gobsmacked. This record embodies the sound we’ve been shooting for since we started the label. The cover was shot in a bizarre, dedicated photo shoot by Roz Wertheimer.

Lage Lund - NEW ALBUM (Ashes)-lagelund_ashes_back-jpg

Has anyone ordered from J.M.I?
    How long does it take to receive a record?

I placed an order two weeks ago and still haven't even received a receipt. The money hasn't been taken from my paypal, but when emailed, they replied with they received my order. I'm just confused.