The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

Hello all,
    Can someone help me to find some jazz who i could become seriously interested in? I have been trying for a while, and I can only find songs here and there. I love the tones of Jazz, and the chord melody style playing on electric guitar, but the bebop era stuff tends to be far too fast and chromatic for my taste. I think I could become a fan of all the stuff, but as it stands I need help finding some guitarists who fit the style I'm describing. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ted Greene?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dreamcity
    Hello all,
    Can someone help me to find some jazz who i could become seriously interested in? I have been trying for a while, and I can only find songs here and there. I love the tones of Jazz, and the chord melody style playing on electric guitar, but the bebop era stuff tends to be far too fast and chromatic for my taste. I think I could become a fan of all the stuff, but as it stands I need help finding some guitarists who fit the style I'm describing. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Try Gene Bertoncini. Always tasteful, never too many notes.

But really, if you don't like jazz, who cares?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Wes and Jim Hall.

User Info Menu

Attila Zoller

User Info Menu

Kenny Burrell plays a nice mix of ballads, jazz-blues and more laid-back bebop that might be quite accessible.

User Info Menu

For bridging the gap into the horn stuff, Paul Desmond solo records are great. Tempos are very cool, playing is more spare and a bit less chromatic. Not to mention he employs only the very finest guitarists (Jim Hall, already mentioned here, and Ed Bickert).

User Info Menu

@Dreamcity:
    I hope that some of the examples we've posted so far have inspired you in your search for Jazz you might like.

It seems you're fairly new to Jazz?
    What have you been enjoying listening to before discovering Jazz?
    Any favourite styles, genres or records?

User Info Menu

@Dreamcity, also check out anything from Jake Reichbart, he is a master of chordmelody guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    For bridging the gap into the horn stuff, Paul Desmond solo records are great. Tempos are very cool, playing is more spare and a bit less chromatic. Not to mention he employs only the very finest guitarists (Jim Hall, already mentioned here, and Ed Bickert).

This is my all time favorite jazz album. I had it when I was a teenager and wore it out.
    I bought it again on CD.

To my mind, this is the definition of terrific comping on guitar.

Not to diminish multiple other aspects of this all-time great recording.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    This is my all time favorite jazz album. I had it when I was a teenager and wore it out.
    I bought it again on CD.

To my mind, this is the definition of terrific comping on guitar.

Not to diminish multiple other aspects of this all-time great recording.
    Yeah it’s amazing. Paul Desmond I guess is sort of a certain flavor, but you could pick a line from any solo on this record at random and it would be like a laboratory-perfect jazz line.

My big Paul Desmond album was Pure Desmond. I played that one until the CD wore out.

Quote Originally Posted by Alder Statesman
    Ted Greene?
    Thanks for the help! I could only find one album with him on spotify, but I liked it a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Try Gene Bertoncini. Always tasteful, never too many notes.

But really, if you don't like jazz, who cares?
    This seems like a good suggestion, I'll give it a listen. And the "who cares" answer is that I would really like to get into jazz!

I have heard of jim hall before, i'll give them both a proper listen. thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by frabarmus
    Attila Zoller

Thank you for the suggestion. This is a name i have never heard before so I am adding him to my playlist right now!

love this standard so much too! Thank you for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by frabarmus
    @Dreamcity:
    I hope that some of the examples we've posted so far have inspired you in your search for Jazz you might like.

It seems you're fairly new to Jazz?
    What have you been enjoying listening to before discovering Jazz?
    Any favourite styles, genres or records?
    Hey sorry, I think I am late to seeing this. I come from a hip-hop background mostly. Any jazz songs I have found have been from samples, but i usually love them. I have, in more recent years, found myself being drawn more into obscure types of guitar music like shoegaze and things like that (which employee fun and spicy chords) so I am new to jazz, but what I have listened to so far (Namely Joe Pass and Emily Remler) has been exciting and tasteful. I really want to explore this genre and learn as much as I can! Some of these suggestions have been a Godsend because i can really find myself running down rabbit trails of styles and struggle to find records or tones that I like. I guess it's fair to say that I know the tones I like more than what specific styles I like.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    I was thinking the same thing lol. I still decided to throw something out there and see what he says about it. Provided he comes back. So I chose something chord melody and not-bebop.
    I really appreciate that you avoided bebop. I actually quite like the record you posted a lot. I realize that I could have been a lot better at replying, I work from home so I am rarely on my computer or phone after work hours. Sorry about that! Thanks for your help in my search, the album you shared is really incredible, and I will look more into George Van Eps.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    I was thinking the same thing lol. I still decided to throw something out there and see what he says about it. Provided he comes back. So I chose something chord melody and not-bebop.
    Actually, so far your album recommendation is like my favorite jazz record I have heard! Thanks so much

Hey everyone!

I see almost all of you took the time to recommend some really great artists. I have listened to most of what has been recommended and I have been digging around. As I said in a reply to another individual, I attempt to reduce my time on my computer and phone in my life as much as I can, and usually turn notifications off for things out of habit. I am not online very much, and so the culture and rules of forums (I.e. replying to threads and liking people's responses) more or less evaded me. I realize that this is pretty silly of me, because for the most part that was probably articulated when I made an account on here in the first place. I will try to do a little better, but I cannot promise I will not leave a thread untouched again for a few days. Thanks again to everyone who graciously and kindly offered responses to me, and who were patient with my failure to reply in an adequate amount of time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dreamcity
    Actually, so far your album recommendation is like my favorite jazz record I have heard! Thanks so much
    Great! It's a beautiful record.

He's really good. I haven't seen too much chord melody with a pick before, can't wait to dig more into his discogrophy.