The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

A thread for the purpose of collecting our favorite McCoy moments. Here are a few of mine:

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

An important thread. An ESSENTIAL thread.

Bless this day.

“No one could possibly follow tha—oh right. There’s John Coltrane.”

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Always loved this, when McCoy’s solo starts it’s like an explosion of pent-up force (with Ron Carter on bass and Billy Cobham on drums):

User Info Menu

Night of Ballads & Blue

Real McCoy

User Info Menu

Nice piano/guitar work.

User Info Menu

The whole Passion Dance live album

User Info Menu

Old guy reminisces: Saw him with Elvin and... possibly J. Garrison about 50yrs ago. Thrilling to say the least. They sang my body electric.

Smaller room with no mikes. Can you imagine playing piano at a volume that keeps up with Elvin? I think it's the loudest acoustic music I've heard. Just another thing to think about when you're thinking about his chops. He was strong in every possible way.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft

Old guy reminisces: Saw him with Elvin and... possibly J. Garrison about 50yrs ago. Thrilling to say the least. They sang my body electric.

Smaller room with no mikes. Can you imagine playing piano at a volume that keeps up with Elvin? I think it's the loudest acoustic music I've heard. Just another thing to think about when you're thinking about his chops. He was strong in every possible way.
    Man I can only imagine what that would've been like. Their energy is through the roof.

One of my favorite moments from the Coltrane quartet is about halfway through My Favorite Things on Afro Blue/Impressions. The band locks in to the dotted quarter thing they do and Elvin and McCoy are just pounding that rhythm. The energy is palpable through the recording; being in the room would be something else.

Quote Originally Posted by frabarmus
    Beat me to it with this one. The way McCoy comes in on Wave is more like a tsunami.

On the other end of the spectrum, this is really beautiful

User Info Menu

Unlikely pairing but it works.