The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Lesson - Every Guitarist should know this blues lick, 7 steps to Pat Martino, Part 6

I'm a student of Pat Martino's and I will help you unlock the secrets to his improvisation, technique and approach to the instrument.

This is a straight forward blues lick over an F7. I borrowed this lick from Willis Jackson's song, Bar Wars. You can hear it at 4:22 into the song.

Pat was a master of the blues and there are a ton of blues licks on this recording worth copying. Hopefully you find this useful as I did!

Thanks for the support.

Jack Zucker

Contents

00:00 Intro riff
    00:11 overview
    00:55 First part of the lick
    01:40 2nd part of the lick
    02:02 Putting it all together
    02:39 Summary
    03:10 Closing/out
    Last edited by jzucker; 08-19-2023 at 11:41 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This is very cool and a well done video. One bite sized concept explained slowly and you spell out the notes so TAB is not even necessary. That is the winning formula for me.

I’ve been overplaying that double stop part with my own follow up lick for years now but this is better.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes
    This is very cool and a well done video. One bite sized concept explained slowly and you spell out the notes so TAB is not even necessary. That is the winning formula for me.

I’ve been overplaying that double stop part with my own follow up lick for years now but this is better.

Thanks
    Thanks for the comment. I actually like to take it down the 2nd octave as well but I wanted it to be a really simple lesson

User Info Menu

That's a cool lick, Jack.
    Looking forward to "blues licks for jazz guitar" material.

I like this lesson because it focuses on one thing and points the nuances that make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    That's a cool lick, Jack.
    Looking forward to "blues licks for jazz guitar" material.

I like this lesson because it focuses on one thing and points the nuances that make it work.
    Thanks Mark. It's actually interesting because doing videos like this helps my playing a lot because it makes me realize which things I really like and what I should personally focus on.