The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

I don't know if he was a great drummer but I always loved the way Shelly's drums interacted and commented upon what Barney Kessel and Ray Brown played on the Poll Winners LP. What he played always seemed perfect.

Philly Joe Jones was another very musical drummer. Bill Evans really came out of his shell when he played with Philly Joe.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV
    I don't know if he was a great drummer but I always loved the way Shelly's drums interacted and commented upon what Barney Kessel and Ray Brown played on the Poll Winners LP. What he played always seemed perfect.

Philly Joe Jones was another very musical drummer. Bill Evans really came out of his shell when he played with Philly Joe.
    I with you on Shelly Mann and the Poll Winners. This was a tight trio and not just a lead instrument musician with a bass and a drummer.

I also like Jake Hanna for a similar reason. Very tasteful. Once I was at a house party and Howard Alden was featured. (he was in Los Angeles for some gigs and did the house gig on an off day). His regular drummer wasn't available and so he had Jake sit in. Seeing him playing in a living room with Howard was something. Even my wife (who loves jazz but isn't a musician), made a comment this old man drummer (Jake was in his 70s), was so tasteful and played the drums with a light touch. Jake's work on various Concord albums was always interesting, and never distracting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV
    Outdoors in front of the Philadelphia Art Museum, circa 1979, in a free concert with Dizzy Gillespie and Ray Bryant.
    not to get too off topic but I caught Joey Defrancesco there backing up Betty Carter a few yrs later, he couldn't have been more than 11 yrs old sitting on phone books stacked on the organ bench. rip Joey....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    In case anyone else has no idea who this is, I googled it and it's Paul Motian. Not Kenny Aronoff.
    I wouldn’t recognise his face either but after finding out it was him on a few magic recordings I won’t forget his name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Anyone mentioning Bonzo of the Band of Thieves (Bonham of Led Zeppelin) cannot pass by Ziggy Modaliste of the Meters. Bonzo had a Masterclass with I’m in New Orleans while Led were visiting on a tour. Great little story told by Leo Nocentelli, wonderful guitarist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Billy Higgins
    Ed Blackwell
    Eric Kamau Gravatt
    Han Bennik
    Dennis Charles
    Barry Altchul

and some local guys in Minnesota you never heard of...

Rock wise Mitch Mitchell and Ginger Baker (both who came from a jazz background)

I have learned more important lessons about music performance from drummers than any other instrumentalists.
    They are the core of the music, and even when I play alone they are there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dean_G
    Billy Higgins
    Ed Blackwell
    Eric Kamau Gravatt
    Han Bennik
    Dennis Charles
    Barry Altchul

and some local guys in Minnesota you never heard of...

Rock wise Mitch Mitchell and Ginger Baker (both who came from a jazz background)

I have learned more important lessons about music performance from drummers than any other instrumentalists.
    They are the core of the music, and even when I play alone they are there.
    Hi Dean!

Where are you from in Wisconsin? I used to live in La Crosse. I lived in MN as well and have spent a lot of time in the Twin Cities. Some great players there.

Also…Dave’s Guitars!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Hi Dean!

Where are you from in Wisconsin? I used to live in La Crosse. I lived in MN as well and have spent a lot of time in the Twin Cities. Some great players there.

Also…Dave’s Guitars!
    Hey thanks. I am not from Wisconsin but retired up here 15yrs ago in the sticks north of Eau Claire . Mainly grew up in the Twin Cities and have done most of my music there, for over 50 years I guess. Still play time to time in TC and in eau claire area . Started performing in the late 60s so I know or have played with most of the people in mpls St Paul at some point. Came up with great people back in the day.
    I Love Dave's Guitars! But don't dare set foot in there. Same goes for LaVonne music in Savage MN. Can get in above my head real fast in those places. (Willies too).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dean_G
    Hey thanks. I am not from Wisconsin but retired up here 15yrs ago in the sticks north of Eau Claire . Mainly grew up in the Twin Cities and have done most of my music there, for over 50 years I guess. Still play time to time in TC and in eau claire area . Started performing in the late 60s so I know or have played with most of the people in mpls St Paul at some point. Came up with great people back in the day.
    I Love Dave's Guitars! But don't dare set foot in there. Same goes for LaVonne music in Savage MN. Can get in above my head real fast in those places. (Willies too).
    It helps that none of those places are pushy. Lavonne is my current favorite to visit. My GFs BIL has a ‘64 335 on sale for consignment there right now.

I love Willie’s, but the new place with its required appointments is not the same as the old. Willie is the same, place isn’t though. (I used to enjoy going to Willie’s in St. Paul, then going nextdoor to Snuffy’s malt shop for a burger and malt. The people who bought the building jacked up the rents so high that Willie’s and Snuffy’s both had to move. The “new Snuffy’s” is almost like the old though. Same vintage greasy burger smell!) Another good vintage place in Minneapolis is Twin Town Guitars.

Have you met or played with Dan Neale? He is an old buddy from Chattanooga who is a fixture in the MSP music scene. I saw him last summer with the Galactic Cowboy Orchestra. Great playing by all.

BTW, I interviewed for a job in Eau Claire at the Mayo hospital about 7-8 years ago. I didn’t get for reasons I still don’t really understand, but my new job is pretty good, so I guess it turned out for the best. Beautiful scenery there though.

User Info Menu

Hi Dr Jeff.. we're veering OT so I will pm you