The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Featured here with the great pianist John Hicks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Peter Leitch is one of my favourite musicians. I've had the pleasure of visiting him at his home during visits to NYC in 2016 and March 2023. A previous thread on him here: Peter Leitch

User Info Menu

I just played with a drummer who knows him very well. He said Peter will never play the guitar again because of a devastating illness, but now composes some great music.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I also met him at a Phil Woods clinic in Brooklyn. He was there taking pictures (he's supposed to be a very good photographer) He's a great guy; we talked a lot about Jim Hall and Jimmy Raney.

He loved the album Jim Hall did with Art Farmer, playing Swedish folk songs.
    I listened to it later; it just seemed like a lot of boring diatonic folk songs in minor keys.
    Different strokes...

User Info Menu

I recorded a CD with him (as sound engineer and part producer) sometime in the early 90's. Nice guy, very reserved. I was a freelancer, so I never had any contact with him again. Typical "meet once and never again" situation you often have as a studio engineer. He was very tall and I wasn't happy with his guitar tuning, but the main producer forbade me to point that out to him.

Typical of things that pass you by....

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

He doesn't play anymore since 2015 (he had left hand nerve damage from cancer treatment). He is 79 years old I believe, these days he's composing.

I think he should have been more well known than he is. He has a lot of albums with great jazz and guitar playing, top notch players. Great old school player!

User Info Menu

I was lucky to see him here at the old Watermill club in 1995, I don’t suppose he made many visits to the UK. (Photo from that gig by Brian O’Connor.)

Who knows Peter Leitch?-img_0339-jpeg

joelf Guest
    I knew him a bit in NYC. Superb musician, and, yes, he was a good photographer. He also wrote liner notes for Jimmy Raney's last recording, But Beautiful. A man for all seasons.

Those live sessions from Bradley's with John Hicks et al show his depth, ideas and especially knowledge and reverence for tradition. He belonged up there with Mr. Hicks. He was a comprehensive and wise player, and I'm glad that he's composing now in spite of the health setbacks.

Well done, Peter. A great life...

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by David B
    That's my next book purchase.

Thanks!

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Just ordered it. I'm sure he's got quite a story to tell.

Thanks again!

User Info Menu

I have read that. It was a very interesting read that does not really varnish the challenges and difficulties of being a professional jazz musician.

His photography is really quite good, as well, and later in life had some success with that. Covered in the book.

Peter Leitch Photographs

User Info Menu

I'm in NYC this week and plan to call in on Peter on Thursday for a coffee. I always stop by to pay my respects when I'm over.

User Info Menu

"Who knows Peter Leitch?"

I do! I've got (and recommend) his Trio album "Up Front"