The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    Back when NYC cared about jazz as America's only truly indigenous art form, they had a program called Jazz Interactions, where world class players like Attila, Howard McGhee, and many others were paid to give free group lessons to anyone interested in playing jazz.

The only ones that took advantage of it were a bunch of rockers who were eager to expand their musical knowledge. I was the only one who took private lessons from a disillusioned jazz guitarist who played weddings for a living in addition to teaching.
    In just the short time that Attila spent with me, he was able to zero in on what I was doing wrong, and set me on the right path.
    They also sponsored concerts by guys like Attila and Ted Dunbar, and we were exposed to real live jazz, uncontaminated by other styles of music.

The program eventually lost its funding, and it's been all downhill from there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    In just the short time that Attila spent with me, he was able to zero in on what I was doing wrong, and set me on the right path.

I'd love to read more about this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irishmuso
    I'd love to read more about this.
    Jazz Interactions - Wikipedia

User Info Menu

Thank you, but I meant reading more about setting you on the right path, but I realise that might be rather complex and perhaps a little presumptuous on my part

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irishmuso
    Thank you, but I meant reading more about setting you on the right path, but I realise that might be rather complex and perhaps a little presumptuous on my part
    Oh, he saw that I was just jumping up and down on the fingerboard from lick to lick, and not playing in position enough. It changed my playing a lot. I was still in high school, so I had a long way to go.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Oh, he saw that I was just jumping up and down on the fingerboard from lick to lick, and not playing in position enough. It changed my playing a lot. I was still in high school, so I had a long way to go.
    Thank you