The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Anyone been in NYC this week to see Julian at the Village?! Billy Hart is on drums!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Anyone been in NYC this week to see Julian at the Village?! Billy Hart is on drums!
    Wow, 83 and still pounding the skins. Impressive.

User Info Menu

Not with Julian Lage, but I saw Billy Hart with Yotam Silberstein at Mezzrow about a year ago and it was incredible. He's absolutely still got it.

User Info Menu

I saw Billy Hart quartet a few times and it was awesome.

User Info Menu

Yes, I made the trip to NYC specifically for the show! Was able to see the first two shows (back to back on Tuesday). Showed up 90min early and got to be front row (had to restrain myself from trying to touch Julian's Nacho tele hoping the magic would rub off on me). Julian was outstanding as always! I'm relatively new to jazz so hadn't heard of the drummer but was impressed having reviewed his bio and by his playing. So great to see the younger and older generations intertwined. The sets had a few more standards than Julian typically plays, but I only think they repeated one song between the two sets. Highlight for me was during the first set when they played one of Julian's songs, Day and Age, but Billy sped up the drums a bit in the middle leading into a fiery jam. Although I prefer the trio shows, looking forward to catching a couple of Julian's solo shows this fall. I sure wish they recorded these shows!

Julian Lage - Village Vanguard!-img_2011-jpgJulian Lage - Village Vanguard!-img_2024-jpgJulian Lage - Village Vanguard!-img_2030-jpgJulian Lage - Village Vanguard!-img_2032-jpg

User Info Menu

What an iconic venue!

User Info Menu

Jackpot!

User Info Menu

Hey... don't forget Jorge! Great bass player. I really dig Julian, and I'd love to hear what these guys do with the standards.

User Info Menu

I have tickets to two shows on consecutive nights at SF Jazz.

The first night is dedicated to Keith Jarrett, the second to Jim Hall.

Should be interesting!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    Hey... don't forget Jorge! Great bass player. I really dig Julian, and I'd love to hear what these guys do with the standards.
    I am seeing them perform as a duo next week. Can't wait to hear them in that stripped down format

User Info Menu

Tell us about it, Paulie!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Tell us about it, Paulie!
    Reporting back - what an incredible performance. Julian played acoustic guitar the entire time. They played some new tunes off an upcoming record, which interestingly was described as being a larger ensemble, as well as a lot of tunes off of View with a Room and Squint I believe.

Last edited by Paulie2; 08-14-2023 at 11:01 AM. Reason: typo

User Info Menu

Brilliant. Charlie Christian is beaming!

User Info Menu

Damn... those guys are so good together! I loved Blues Connotation when I saw them. Christian/Goodman to Ornette, anything in between, a bunch of other stuff after, and always sounding great and havin a ball.

Couldn't make out his guitar. You know what he was playing? Flat-top? Idle curiosity on my part.

S.O.B can do anything :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    Damn... those guys are so good together! I loved Blues Connotation when I saw them. Christian/Goodman to Ornette, anything in between, a bunch of other stuff after, and always sounding great and havin a ball.

Couldn't make out his guitar. You know what he was playing? Flat-top? Idle curiosity on my part.

S.O.B can do anything :-)
    It was definitely a flat top, I was not close enough to see if it was his Collings or Martin but I was assuming the Collings