The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Joe and Oscar, tearing it down.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I was able to see them play together unfortunately just one time.They were phenomenal together and had such a great rapport.Two giants the likes of we will never see again.

Quote Originally Posted by nyc chaz
    I was able to see them play together unfortunately just one time.They were phenomenal together and had such a great rapport.Two giants the likes of we will never see again.
    Amen!

User Info Menu

IIRC this was taped in the early to mid 80s, yes? I think my guitar teacher had a VHS of this and had me watch it for inspiration. I would say I ended up more intimidated than inspired at that particular moment in time.

It is interesting hearing Joe play with Oscar, because Oscar is such a powerhouse pianist who doesn't leave a whole lot of space for other people, yet Joe finds some.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Joe and Barney Kessel played some great music with Oscar but to my ears, the best match was Herb Ellis because his bluesy, direct style seemed to offer more contrast to Oscar's wall of virtuosity. Joe had a very strong quarter note feel to his playing that matched Oscar's feel so I'm not saying they were incompatible. Both were giants!