The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 227

User Info Menu

“Everything is hard on guitar” – Matteo Mancuso explains why guitar is one of the hardest instruments to learn

>>>>Matteo Mancuso is one of the most exciting players on the planet right now. The Italian virtuoso is a generational talent, having blown the minds of the greats – Steve Vai, Tommy Emmanuel, Joe Bonamassa, Tosin Abasi, the list goes on – and his debut album, The Journey, out 21 July, is a jaw-dropping work of instrumental guitar. But even Mancuso recognises the pain. Speaking to MusicRadar, ahead of his album’s release, he argues that the guitar is one of the most difficult instruments to master.<<<<<<

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wow, worth it for the extreme closeups of his RH alone :-) Sure looks like he is using flatwounds.

Half point off for not even bothering to fake plugging in the guitars :-)

User Info Menu

I agree with him. Guitar ain't for sissies

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    “Everything is hard on guitar” – Matteo Mancuso explains why guitar is one of the hardest instruments to learn

>>>>Matteo Mancuso is one of the most exciting players on the planet right now. The Italian virtuoso is a generational talent, having blown the minds of the greats – Steve Vai, Tommy Emmanuel, Joe Bonamassa, Tosin Abasi, the list goes on – and his debut album, The Journey, out 21 July, is a jaw-dropping work of instrumental guitar. But even Mancuso recognises the pain. Speaking to MusicRadar, ahead of his album’s release, he argues that the guitar is one of the most difficult instruments to master.<<<<<<

Never heard of this dude so I was coming to this cold. Reaction was basically … “I mean he seems cool … not sure what the big deal is thou———————

User Info Menu

The big deal is that no one else can do what he does, and so easily.

Other than that, no big deal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzjourney4Eva
    The big deal is that no one else can do what he does, and so easily.

Other than that, no big deal.
    Oh yeah … about 2/3 of the way through I got the big deal

User Info Menu

Try Hammond then get back to me. :P

User Info Menu

"...he argues that the guitar is one of the most difficult instruments to master"
    I agree with him 100 percent.

User Info Menu

He’s not wrong …

User Info Menu

Al di Meola playing duets with him. It's clear who is still the master but certainly Matteo is a talented guitarist...

User Info Menu

Not my cup ot tea at this point, but I can certainly appreciate his technique and a very attractive palette of sounds. What sort of sustain/distortion pedals would be needed for this genre?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GordonM
    Al di Meola playing duets with him. It's clear who is still the master but certainly Matteo is a talented guitarist...

I dunno. Matteo has a really nice touch on nylon and I’m tempted to say I prefer his acoustic playing to his electric shredding. He has a touch of the Ralph Towner to my ears. Here a little more Metheny maybe. Very melodic as well as ridiculous chops .

I mean Al is louder if that’s what you mean… the old Chick Corea trick haha.

User Info Menu

His technique is, no doubt, jaw dropping (especially his right hand finger style)... not that I know, or have followed him that much, but I hear some affinity with Gambale, in at least some of his (electric) playing. Other than that I think we'll have to wait and see (he's very young)...
    In that Prog and Jazz influenced idiom, to me, no one beats Allan Holdsworth when it comes to musicality, originality, creativity and "artistic depth".

User Info Menu

From the OP sounds like he’s moving more into the instrumental rock thing. Probs a bigger audience.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frabarmus
    His technique is, no doubt, jaw dropping (especially his right hand finger style)... not that I know, or have followed him that much, but I hear some affinity with Gambale, in at least some of his (electric) playing. Other than that I think we'll have to wait and see (he's very young)...
    In that Prog and Jazz influenced idiom, to me, no one beats Allan Holdsworth when it comes to musicality, originality, creativity and "artistic depth".
    I get very grumpy when essentially generic fusion rock virtuosos - however able and high level - are compared to Allan. Guthrie, Mancuso, whoever. Allan was a lot of things rolled into one human one of which is a very original musical mind.

Guthrie brought some bebop into shred guitar but he’s more of an eclectic than a trailblazer. I’ve been warming a lot to him though, I do think he’s a very creative and musical player live, I just wish he had more of a context for it than all star jam sessions on generic vamps. He’s obviously enjoying a great career so he should care but apparently he’s always up for a real gig in a bar.

Matteo struck me as someone able to at pastiche other musicians to a frankly astounding level. Including Allan. Im not certain I could recognise his playing in a blind test, but he has time.

At the end of the day, Allan was not a virtuoso
    while Matteo and Guthrie. Might seem an odd thing to say, but Allan could only do Allan, his voice. He wasn’t about to bust out some chicken picking or George Benson smooth jazz chops on a dime like Guthrie could. It wasn’t a matter of choice for him. It’s a different thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Allan was a lot of things rolled into one human one of which is a very original musical mind.
    Exactly! That's why no one is, even vaguely, comparable to Allan.

User Info Menu

The OP video sounded less like fusion and more like the extreme end of the blues-rock genre except with no vocals. It was accessible and the playing was great but I wasn't mind blown. It sounded like the Eric Gales band except the band here isn't as driving and Eric doesn't do finger tapping.

User Info Menu

There are videos of Mancuso playing Wether Report etc! This kid is and amazing guitar player along with Eric Gales as well.
    But they are aiming for a Non Jazz traditional market to make some $$$

The music we grew up with sans Jimi Hendrix, does not sell any longer. And probably didn’t make much of a living for most of our favorite Jazz Guitarists back in the day.

We also are living in a Video Age vs Audio one we grew up in our day. So Rock and Theatrics is what is expected. I highly doubt guys like Joe Pass, Pat Martino, Lenny Breau would make it on anyone’s radar any longer. Maybe a few guitar geeks?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    There are videos of Mancuso playing Wether Report etc! This kid is and amazing guitar player along with Eric Gales as well.
    But they are aiming for a Non Jazz traditional market to make some $$$

The music we grew up with sans Jimi Hendrix, does not sell any longer. And probably didn’t make much of a living for most of our favorite Jazz Guitarists back in the day.

We also are living in a Video Age vs Audio one we grew up in our day. So Rock and Theatrics is what is expected. I highly doubt guys like Joe Pass, Pat Martino, Lenny Breau would make it on anyone’s radar any longer. Maybe a few guitar geeks?
    I don't like when people alter the approach to what they love strictly for money making purposes. The kid is an amazing guitar player but staying true to what you like always works out best IMO. For me, I would rather dig ditches than play rock or country. Blues was my first love. One day I figured out that was what I needed to be doing and that anything else was a bad idea trying to pander to people's tastes. It doesn't work anyways as tastes are too wide ranging. Someone won't be pleased regardless of what you do. I make better money gigging now doing what I like. Not that it's a king's ransom by any means, lol. People can tell if you are just going through the motions for money. Not saying that's Mancuso, just saying in general.

Pass, Breau, and others would still gather attention. Their style and abilities commanded it. I find Pass and Breau especially to be very charismatic individuals that naturally draw attention even aside the guitar. Entertainers. Pasquale Grasso seems to be getting quite a bit of attention staying true to what he likes. Regardless, instrumental music of any sort will always have much more limited interest and money making ability.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBone
    The OP video sounded less like fusion and more like the extreme end of the blues-rock genre except with no vocals. It was accessible and the playing was great but I wasn't mind blown. It sounded like the Eric Gales band except the band here isn't as driving and Eric doesn't do finger tapping.
    I agree. I think it’s a bit of departure from what I’ve heard from Mancuso before.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBone
    ... and except Eric Gales plays funky as hell and knows (how to play) the blues ...

User Info Menu

I dunno. Matteo has a really nice touch on nylon and I’m tempted to say I prefer his acoustic playing to his electric shredding. He has a touch of the Ralph Towner to my ears. Here a little more Metheny maybe. Very melodic as well as ridiculous chops .

I mean Al is louder if that’s what you mean… the old Chick Corea trick haha.
    Matteo use fingers and Al use a pick......
    I like more the sound of Matteo .

User Info Menu

I don't blame the kid for wanting to earn. Most of our 'golden age' jazz heroes did it at different times and to different degrees. I think it's real music in any case, not that I'm likely to listen to it outside of this forum.

The A section of the head reminded me of Resolution for some reason. Feel and phrasing maybe.

I like that he sounds like he's playing guitar and doesn't pedalize to the point of sounding like a synth. I like his attack and how he uses that. I'm sure it feels great to play this when they are plugged in. I actually give them points for not faking that part. Besides, if they had cords they'd have to figure out where to put the amps on that stage. Bit of a mess really.

User Info Menu

At the end of the day, Allan was not a virtuoso
    Reeeeaally? How do YOU define virtuosity? These are close enough for me:

User Info Menu

I may have been the one who first mentioned him on this forum. This video shows his hands a lot so as a guitarist you'll be able to grasp what he's doing (right?), and this tune features him playing up to speed some complicated stuff... Bass player is no slouch, either.