The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    That would be him. The artist I was working with, who was working on another album for Moroder/Niel Bogart, really didn't like him, but Mats- the only, the best one in town. Hence I was sent for. That's how I ended up in Munchen from California. To replace him. I didn't do a good job of replacing him. LOL. Wow. I never really thought of this form that angle. He had all the right gear, right sounds, right grooves. He was a very good studio guitarist. I was green at the time. I don't know why they didn't like him. Maybe he was arrogant. But I never knew him. There was another studio guitarist who was very good. An American who quit to fly commercial airplanes - I think United. I couldn't believe anyone turning away from being a top studio guitarist. But he said he was very burned out. I wish I could remember his name.
    Funnily I just found out that Mats Björklund came to Munich as a member of Swedish instrumental group The Spotnicks.

Some other names I found: Diether Enderlein (guitar), and possibly jazz drummer Joe Haider and jazz pianist Max Neissendorfer were part of the Machine as well.

Who the guitarist was who became a pilot — no idea.

You could ask Wally through his website or facebook. Another one to ask could be Mirko Hecktor who wrote a book about Munich’s night club scene from 1949 until now. He might possibly know someone who know your colleagues from then. His e-mail adress is in the imprint of his website.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    Funnily I just found out that Mats Björklund came to Munich as a member of Swedish instrumental group The Spotnicks.

Some other names I found: Diether Enderlein (guitar), and possibly jazz drummer Joe Haider and jazz pianist Max Neissendorfer were part of the Machine as well.

Who the guitarist was who became a pilot — no idea.

You could ask Wally through his website or facebook. Another one to ask could be Mirko Hecktor who wrote a book about Munich’s night club scene from 1949 until now. He might possibly know someone who know your colleagues from then. His e-mail adress is in the imprint of his website.
    Thank you bophead!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    Thank you bophead!
    You’re welcome! Another one you might have known is Nick Woodland. I just found out that he worked for Frank Farian on Boney M albums. (I only knew him as blues artist.) The lineup of musicians that worked on those albums is listed en detail in the English wikipedia so those articles might be another source for finding familiar names.

I found researching for the Munich (Sound) Machine not easy in the all-knowing internet. That might partly be due to the fact that a (in circles interested into that type of music) world-renowned Bavarian techno DJ, DJ Hell, has called one of his albums “Munich Machine” (1998) which mixes up with the Google results of your former studio crew. (I guess the album title is probably a tribute.)

BTW among Hendrix fans: Did you know that Jimi smashed his first guitar at a club (then) called Big Apple in Munich’s Leopoldstraße? (It’s probably heretic to talk about such things on this forum LOL.) It fell off stage and he got mad because it was totally out of tune. Someone once told me that that show had been filmed by someone. But the photographer passed away later and his son later became homeless so that historic footage is probably lost forever.

What you have written about the production of the Joni Mitchell album inspired me to pull out the “Mingus Plays Piano” album again after a very long time.