The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Thank god that Pinheiro group can play in time with each other. It would just take one of them to go out and the whole thing would be a really serious car crash. I was nervous just listening to it!
    The singer was playing all the band parts from the start and didn't let up when they joined in. I remember an over enthusiastic piano player being taken aside by a singer to be told, 'don't be the band, be in the band'.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

"btw about George Benson, he is one of the greatest, his (non jazz music) sound a bit more like soul than R&B for me. His contribution, - just as singer - is way bigger than Marvin Gaye's and Frank Sinatra's together despite the masses who idolize the latter two. I do know, El Jarreau and Bobby McFerrin are geniuses, but there is only one singer I can listen any time, any condition an unlimited way, and this is Benson, who's music goes staight to my heart, bypassing my brain."

you must be kidding - as much as I love George Benson, but Frank Sinatra?! Have you ever listened to his concept albums? Probably not.... Bobby McFerrin, Al Jarreau - they eat (or ate) George alive...

User Info Menu

John Pizzarelli
    Benson

seems strange..rock/pop has many guitar/singers..

is it that "jazz" is an instrument based music?? It has many vocalists.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    John Pizzarelli
    The question was guitarists that can sing.
    Just kidding, JP sings but his nasal tone isn't exactly my favorite.

User Info Menu

Leon Redbone?

User Info Menu

Any guitarists in jazz that can sing?

I suspect there are, but they don't.

User Info Menu

Alicyn Yaffee sings (but she also plays styles that probably don't count as jazz).

User Info Menu

Camila Meza

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Lenny Breau

User Info Menu

I will throw this out although an unknow in all but the jazz guitar archtop world. Guitar maker Bill Barker was a fine singer and I believe a singer first and foremost for many gigs. He was also a monster guitar player who knew a ton of tunes and could play with anyone really. He made country record early in his career or at least in the vein of county type tunes. I don't remember the recording date. He also told me that the great Johnny Gray was a singer too, but his guitar skills were so in demand to back singers that he really never did much singing after he made in pretty good in studios.

If you are a singer and guitar player, it probably helps to be nice looking because then you get more attention. Some jazz players might actually sing but then some of them might not look so terribly handsome . Fill in the blanks.

User Info Menu

Ilya Lushtak