The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Eddie Lang & Joe Venuti VS Django Reinhardt & Stephan Grappelli

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Eddie Lang & Joe Venuti

3 27.27%
  • Django Reinhardt & Stephan Grappelli

8 72.73%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Similar format of music between these two duos and their groups, but with different sound and interpretation.

Who do you prefer? The American style or the European style?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The last time this came up I listened to some Lang/Venuti thought it was good, but never went back. So I went with European.

User Info Menu

I was lucky enough to see both Grapelli and Venuti play live and both were beyond great.I have to pick Django/Grapelli because i don't think Lang is equal to Django.

User Info Menu

What's the point of such a comparison? Django built his style on part of Lang's vocabulary as did Stephane with Joe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV
    What's the point of such a comparison?
    Because its a very similar style with subtle differences

User Info Menu

Not so many years separated them, but I hear them as reflecting different eras.

That said, I find Lang/Venuti to be of academic interest, but I can really enjoy Django/Grapelli.

User Info Menu

Not going to say one was better than the other but I prefer Venuti/Lang especially since I got completely burned out on gypsy jazz yrs ago. Joe and Eddie performed in many different settings. Granted Django was one of the greatest improvisers on any instrument but don't sell the inventor of jazz guitar, Eddie Lang, short. A brilliant accompanist, and I certainly prefer Venuti to Grappelli.

User Info Menu

In this case I think comparisons are invidious. I'll enjoy both equally, thank you!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    In this case I think comparisons are invidious. I'll enjoy both equally, thank you!
    Not a comparison really. Just wanted to know which people enjoy best.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by adamrhowe
    Not a comparison really. Just wanted to know which people enjoy best.
    Perfectly valid. For me, it would be akin to picking a favorite child. No can do!