The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

I got to see Herb Ellis live around 1994-95 at Fat Tuesdays in New York. It was a weekday and the place was practically empty (criminal). I sat so close to the stage I could have spilled my drink on him. Ellis ran a great informal show with his trio, perfectly demonstrating the capacity for true communication and community that we jazz fans all know as the gold standard for live performance. One of my biggest regrets is being too intimidated to talk to the guy.

That night remains very much the performance model for me as a musician, and I'm deeply influenced by his comping with Oscar.

Sad day, but, given his illeness, probably more of an escape in the end.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ingeneri
    I got to see Herb Ellis live around 1994-95 at Fat Tuesdays in New York. It was a weekday and the place was practically empty (criminal). I sat so close to the stage I could have spilled my drink on him. Ellis ran a great informal show with his trio, perfectly demonstrating the capacity for true communication and community that we jazz fans all know as the gold standard for live performance. One of my biggest regrets is being too intimidated to talk to the guy.

That night remains very much the performance model for me as a musician, and I'm deeply influenced by his comping with Oscar.

Sad day, but, given his illeness, probably more of an escape in the end.

actually have a friend who saw him at Fat Tuesday's, and inbetween sets he talked to him. I've heard he was very personable and willing to talk about his gear and technique

User Info Menu

His technique is distilled in his three books--Swing Blues, Rhythm Shapes, and All The Shapes You Are. You hear him play and learn how he played (-chord shapes, fingerings). Great stuff.

TommyD Guest
    Bye for a while, Herb. See you later. Thanks for signing my guitar! I think of you every day when I play it.
    Tommy/

User Info Menu

Rest In Peace, Herb.

User Info Menu

Can't believe I missed this until now, R.I.P Herb, I was just watching a clip of him on youtube and thought, "Herb is one old cat, good to have him with us still" and bam, " - March 28, 2010)"

What are people's standout recordings of Herb Ellis' playing?

Mine is one with Jimmy Giuffre. Great bop lines with an arranged background that is still hip...

NL