The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Should be interesting. Appears as if it is very Fripp-centric.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This looks good!

User Info Menu

This must be a celebration of British middle aged passive aggression or I will be sorely disappointed

User Info Menu

About the first band, it sounds like. Long before Adrian Belew. They were good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    Should be interesting. Appears as if it is very Fripp-centric.
    No kidding. Fripp IS King Crimson.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy blue note
    About the first band, it sounds like. Long before Adrian Belew. They were good.
    I doubt it. There were shots of Belew, Bruford, etc...
    The first band only made one album, and made one tour before they broke up, because they weren't cut out for touring.
    It is named after their first album, but Fripp (who asked the director to make it) wanted to call it a name I can't print here...

Hopefully, there will be material on the first band (Giles and MacDonald were shown), but otherwise it will be pure Frippery...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I doubt it. There were shots of Belew, Bruford, etc...
    The first band only made one album, and made one tour before they broke up, because they weren't cut out for touring.
    It is named after their first album, but Fripp (who asked the director to make it) wanted to call it a name I can't print here...

Hopefully, there will be material on the first band (Giles and MacDonald were shown), but otherwise it will be pure Frippery...
    Now I'm excited!
    That trio of albums with the yellow, blue and red covers are among my favourite musical collections of all time for me.

User Info Menu

Fripp..a very intense musician/composer..like Zappa without the attitude..

to understand.ingest..and perform this kind of music takes discipline..vision and courage..

ahh..the label thing..is it prog rock..fusion..free form jazz

I doubt if Fripp cares

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    Fripp..a very intense musician/composer..like Zappa without the attitude..

to understand.ingest..and perform this kind of music takes discipline..vision and courage..

ahh..the label thing..is it prog rock..fusion..free form jazz

I doubt if Fripp cares
    Fripp had no attitude? He fired Belew by email! Only Arthur Lee did better than that. He fired his lead guitar player in Love by telling him to come to a recording studio in the morning. When the guy got there, there was a big note on the door saying "FY-You're fired!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Fripp had no attitude? He fired Belew by email! Only Arthur Lee did better than that. He fired his lead guitar player in Love by telling him to come to a recording studio in the morning. When the guy got there, there was a big note on the door saying "FY-You're fired!"
    It’s a bit more complicated than that…

On Sep 7, 2013, at UK 11:33 RF wrote:

dear ade,
    when you called, just before setting off for NIN, you said: if you were thinking of reforming KC without me, this would be a good time!
    i wasn't thinking of that.
    on monday 22nd. july, visiting two pals in london for supper with T, i saw how the Beast might return to life.
    but, i wasn't sure i wanted to do it.
    so, surprisingly, this past wednesday evening i decided to set Crim in motion.
    this is a very different reformation: seven players and three drummers.
    this is not a Crim i see for you.
    this does not mean that you are no longer a member of the Crimson Brotherhood, rather that i see you as presently The Eighth Man.
    T Lev was The Fifth Man for ten years.
    the final player to say yes! of the seven did so yesterday at 18.55.
    before i do anything more with this, i wanted to contact you and let you know that you have escaped the Mighty Beast's return to action - this time.
    xxx eeeeeeeeeaaaaaargh! boppin' bobby
    Adrian’s response Sent: Sat, 7 Sep 2013 19:01…
    phew...
    that was a close one.
    RF reply: Sep 8, 2013, at 4:58 AM…
    ade - don't relax too soon: you're still younger than me.

The following day, Mon, 9 Sep 2013 6:52 Adrian wanted to speak on the ‘phone, so I called him at home. Ade was unprepared to be The Eighth Man, and quit the band. Ade was not fired: he left the band of his own volition. Regrettably IMO.

Hotel Acceptable, Seattle.

They more or less buried the hatchet in 2017, and recently Adrian said he would play again with KC if asked. KC looks to be on hiatus right this moment though.

User Info Menu

And say what you will about RF, but he is quite capable of making fun of his own image of a stodgy, soulless type.

He posted this recently on his own FB page:

King Crimson documentary-30e9fa72-87f4-4c59-b536-c4e0ce25901f-png

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    And say what you will about RF, but he is quite capable of making fun of his own image of a stodgy, soulless type.
    I once saw a video of his League of Crafty Gentleman Guitarists (or whatever it was called) where about 20 guitarists were in their robotic modes playing nearly the same thing in unison but one guy in the center of the front row was completely motionless with a blank look on his face holding his guitar through out the whole piece.

User Info Menu

In the Court of the Crimson King is one of my all time favorite albums. It cannot be fully appreciated without the time context it arose. The same is true with Jimi Hendrix, Stanley Jordan, and Michael Hedges.

If Robert Fripp didn't play nice in the sandbox, that may have been the necessary ingredient for the band's success. Who knows? But he made a difference.

User Info Menu

I don't know if he played nice in the sandbox or not. He seems like a decent enough guy.

Of course people who lead bands and aren't willing to make tough decisions are often soon enough unemployed musicians.

Let's not forget that many people left KC of their own accord for various reasons. Fripp has even worked with some of them despite past differences, Mel Collins for instance. Mel had this to say about their reunion...

"How is the Robert Fripp of today different from the Robert Fripp of 1971?

"He’s so much more mellow. He’s tolerant. He doesn’t have that ego that he used to have. He still can be awkward, no question about it, but he is so nice to me. He gives me the freedom to play what I want to play, basically. He’s nice to be with and he loves the music. I think that’s the problem in the past. He loves both the music and the musicians involved."

Mel Collins Interview: King Crimson, Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan - Rolling Stone

Also one should note that Belew left Zappa under awkward circumstances to play with Bowie.

Interestingly, there have been a lot of posts on both Adrian's and Robert's Facebook pages about their past records and Belew's departure, which *might* suggest there's something brewing with these two.

User Info Menu

Will have to watch this one, thanks!

I think Fripp is great. Inspired by Hendrix, he carved out his own singular voice on our instrument, while many are satisfied repeating someone else’s blues licks.

Fripp as a person, who knows - but that’s not a worry for me, I get to just enjoy at one moment the most meticulous plucked angular constructions and the next the most primal wail.

My favorite Fripp aphorism was uttered at a self-help seminar hosted by his sister. I think the recording is still out there. Fripp says, “In order to go from good to great, you must first go from bad to good.” in an acerbic tone that suggested he doubted that many ever achieve this prerequisite.
    Last edited by maxsmith; 02-27-2022 at 12:03 AM.