The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

Hello all,

i was looking for more information on Mary and found this thread. Wow nice.
    this summer I purchased her white falcon.

It’s a very beautiful guitar.
    Unusually large chunky neck. This falcon is the first one built and given to her by jimmy webster.

I don’t think she used it much aside from photos for Gretsch ads.
    I had the neck reset and play it almost daily.

it’s truly a unique Guitar from Gretschs golden era.
    Here are some pictures.

I’ve done few videos of me trying to play along with her music using the falcon. im a rockabilly guy but getting the jazz swing thing has been very cool.

Mary Osborne recording session-img_2851-jpg

Mary Osborne recording session-img_0371-jpeg

Mary Osborne recording session-img_2852-jpeg

Mary Osborne recording session-img_2854-jpg

Mary Osborne recording session-img_2828-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Bravo!

User Info Menu

She played a handmade Barker guitar much better guitar than a Gretsch. That is just my own opinion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    She played a handmade Barker guitar much better guitar than a Gretsch. That is just my own opinion.
    Was it a Barker that says Gretsch on the headstock? I’m looking at the pictures and I’m confused.

User Info Menu

She played a Barker late in her career but there were others before, a 30s ES150 w CC pu, an L-5, another Gretsch, her Stromberg, etc....

User Info Menu

Glad to see her remembered, many guitarists never even heard of her, my best bud was her pianist in Bakersfield for many years.

Here's one I like. Old and scratchy, but shows Billie Holiday bopping in the background for a bit. Starts out with the slow intro then jams away.

I've had her A Girl & Her Guitar disc for awhile now too, and definitely enjoy that.