The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Lorne Lofsky released his first solo album in 25 years this month. He's fronting a quartet featuring tenor player Kirk MacDonald, plus Kieran Overs and Barry Romberg in the rhythm section. His basic sound is the same--that mellow, Ed Bickert-influenced tone, rhythmic feel, and comping style, with a slightly more boppish soloing style. Mostly original material, but a couple of interesting arrangements of standards.

You can buy it on Bandcamp for something like 6 bucks (U.S.) here:
    This Song Is New | Lorne Lofsky | Modica Music

He's interviewed about the album and his early breaks with Oscar Peterson and others here:
    A Conversation With ... Lorne Lofsky | FYIMusicNews

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Loved his album with Ed.

User Info Menu

Thanks, 44Lombard. I bought the album already. :-)

While poking around searching for the new Lofsky, I stumbled onto his 2004 session with Joey DeFrancesco and Guido Basso. Basso is on flugelhorn as usual, and the whole session sounds kind of like what (I imagine) Ed Bickert and Art Farmer or Chet Baker might sound in a Detroit jazz organ combo. The record is called "One Take", and it's all standards recorded in, surprise surprise, one take. It's also really cheap as a download. Good stuff.

Album One Take: Volume One, Joey DeFrancesco, Guido Basso, Vito Rezza & Lorne Lofsky | Qobuz: download and streaming in high quality

User Info Menu

Lorne is a great player- he's got chops, taste, time and groove. I hear him as being a little more aggressive than Ed tended to be but with a similar advanced sense of harmony. Great voice leading both chordally and in lines. He is kind of a walking master class.

Listening to a few of the tracks, though, it sort of sounds like he's a side man on his own album. I suppose it's inevitable when you have a horn player in the band because they always sound like the leader no matter what.

"One Take" is a great album too. Like the name implies, all the tunes were one take, warts and all. With musicians of that caliber, however, there aren't too many warts.

User Info Menu

I believe he posted on this site at one time. If you do a search you'll probably find it.

User Info Menu

I like a lot Lorne’s latest album.

Some more Lofsky for those interested:

Barry Elmes Quintet - Dog’s Breakfast
    https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OL...AKtwvTfCjzVqZQ

Last edited by mayrandp; 04-21-2021 at 06:47 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Lorne is a great player- he's got chops, taste, time and groove. I hear him as being a little more aggressive than Ed tended to be but with a similar advanced sense of harmony. Great voice leading both chordally and in lines. He is kind of a walking master class.

Listening to a few of the tracks, though, it sort of sounds like he's a side man on his own album. I suppose it's inevitable when you have a horn player in the band because they always sound like the leader no matter what.

"One Take" is a great album too. Like the name implies, all the tunes were one take, warts and all. With musicians of that caliber, however, there aren't too many warts.
    Funny that you mention the part about a horn player with guitar. I recorded some original tunes last year and felt the same thing, it sounded like the horn players gig! I will be recording again soon and decided to replace the horn player with piano. When I was mixing the recordings I found it difficult to just get the guitar in there sound-wise. The sax just cut through so easily.
    Back to Lorne, I really like his playing. My favorite album of his other than the one with Ed Bickert is All Of You on the Jazz Inspiration label. Great stuff!