The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Looking forward to this...

Just the sound of that bass on "Come Together"...all these years later...it is just so magnificent to me.

Beatles legend will talk life and legacy with legendary producer in six-part series...Paul McCartney will reflect on his life and musical legacy during a roving conversation with producer Rick Rubin in an upcoming “documentary event.”

Last edited by Flat; 12-18-2020 at 02:55 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Love that beard !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    Looking forward to this...

Just the sound of that bass on "Come Together"...all these years later...it is just so magnificent to me.

I often find delight listening to Paul's bass lines on Beatles records. The lads were a finely tuned ensemble.

User Info Menu

Sign me up! Paul was and is the most appropriate Beatle to cover the comprehensive ground of the band's sound and how the music was made. I wish George Martin could have been involved.

The Beatles continue to amaze me. It's not just the music. It's that it was the leading edge in culture, thought and musical breadth at a pivotal time in global history. How they stuck together, albeit in a progressively loose way, for as long as they did was a feat in itself. They never grew stale.

The tension among the players is evidenced in the very different musical directions they went as soloists. It is noteworthy that Paul carried on prolifically long after he died in 1966. Paul is dead - Wikipedia

(If you want to see the best mockumentary on this, here it is. It's worth the price if you are a Beatles fan!)

User Info Menu

It's funny if you were alive back then how you were either Beatles or Stones, but not both...

And how if you were Beatles, you were either for Paul or John, less likely for George or Ringo. (Ringo seemed to fly below the radar but was a big hit with the ladies.)

I was a young Beatlemaniac, and migrated toward George as the most intellectually interesting of the group.

Of course with hindsight I appreciate both the Fab Four AND the Stones, and appreciate the contributions of ALL the Beatles. Especially Paul and Ringo, cause if you ain't got a rhythm section you ain't got a band.

Paul is clearly one of the best melody writers of all time. He could compose a hummable tune in his sleep in 2 minutes flat.
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 12-18-2020 at 12:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    It's funny if you were alive back then how you were either Beatles or Stones, but not both...
    I was Stones all the way. I thought The Beatles were for girls. (Probably because of my older sister who was 16 when I was 6 and was over the moon for them in a way I found repugnant.)

Appreciate a lot of the band's music. Might watch this documentary---looks interesting. I think Paul came up with some great bass lines.

User Info Menu

This isn't about jazz but instead stinking rock and rollers.

Play live!

User Info Menu

Seems like it was a pretty linear evolution over there.

Trad Jazz -> Skiffle -> Rock and Roll

User Info Menu

Added later: I posted here about the Peter Jackson Beatles movie coming next year, but lammie already has another thread on it. Good stuff.

The Beatles movie
    Last edited by Flat; 12-21-2020 at 02:52 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff

And how if you were Beatles, you were either for Paul or John, less likely for George or Ringo. (Ringo seemed to fly below the radar but was a big hit with the ladies.)

I was a young Beatlemaniac, and migrated toward George as the most intellectually interesting of the group.

Of course with hindsight I appreciate both the Fab Four AND the Stones, and appreciate the contributions of ALL the Beatles. Especially Paul and Ringo, cause if you ain't got a rhythm section you ain't got a band.

Paul is clearly one of the best melody writers of all time. He could compose a hummable tune in his sleep in 2 minutes flat.
    When the kids were nearby we played more Beatles than Stones. When they were near we played more Zappa than either, and Janis got a lot of play as well. When the kids were but tots we had a band that practiced at our ancient, drafty farmhouse. Drums, bass, guitars (2), Hammond B-3. Pretty sure they heard it, even upstairs. Overall, the British Invasion pretty much was balanced with a great deal of home-grown music.

Beatles, Stones - Stones were deeply in debt to American roots music, whereas Beatles had the british musical theater thing going, perhaps with George Martin encouraging that strain. I love 'em both.