The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 85

User Info Menu

I thought I've heard it all . . .but here it goes: Pat Boone singing "Papa's Got A Brand New Bag," and "Soul Man."

Play live . . . Marinero

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Mr. Boone's career, through which I have lived, has always mystified me. He seems quite sincere, you know? We used to watch Lawrence Welk, as a family. Same vibe.
    What is the opposite of hip? Mebbe this stuff?

De gustibus non disputandem est, I suppose....

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Mr. Boone's career, through which I have lived, has always mystified me. He seems quite sincere, you know? We used to watch Lawrence Welk, as a family. Same vibe.

They guy is great. He does whatever he wants, the way he wants to do it, and doesn't get upset about what anyone thinks. However little we might like the outcome, I gotta admire someone who isn't derailed by all the ire dumped on him. Not my cup of tea, but I still raise my glass to mild-mannered gentleman who knows no fear.

User Info Menu

"Not my cup of tea, but I still raise my glass to mild-mannered gentleman who knows no fear."

Hi, L,
    Isn't that the academic definition of stupidity? The man was a zero as a vocalist. He couldn't even sing in tune. To be polite, his phrasing was stilted and rhythmically challenged. He ripped off a generation of true artists and their music--many of whom died poorly or in poverty. But, yes, he has Big B_LLS and a generation of brain-dead consumers bought his records. Now, he's hawking vitamins to the elderly who will certainly buy them since they bought his records. A true musical icon! An American legend!
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

There's a late night radio talk show host, don't remember his name, but he used to sub for Art Bell and may have replaced him after his death. Anyhow, on one of the few occasions I heard him, he was pushing for Pat Boone for the R & R Hall of Fame. Somehow, I don't thing he's gonna make it.

User Info Menu

Ripped off a generation of true artists? Maybe. It's also entirely possible that the sales of Pat Boone records made more for the people who wrote those tunes than their own recordings did. I am reminded of Jeff Beck's version of "Goodbye Porkpie Hat" being played for Charles Mingus. He was asked how he thought it sounded and his reply was "it sounds like money."

There is a market, much bigger than the market for jazz, for music that soothes people and makes them feel good. Jazz tends to be nerve-jangling, unlistenable to most people, and proud of it. It's part of why jazz musicians earn so little and have so few gigs. Possibly the worst insult you can give a jazz musician is the accusation of pandering to the audience. Guys like Pat Boone do nothing but pander to the audience: they play what people want to hear, and laugh all the way to the bank. Neil Diamond probably made more per week than Sonny Rollins made in a year.

American attitude? Yep.

User Info Menu

I'm going to stick up for Pat Boone. In fact I'm going to stick up for any artist who enjoys playing / performing a style of music that works for them, irrespective of whether or not it's cool, hip, complex, trendy, or whatever. I would love Pat Boone to have recorded one of my songs, in any style he cared to. I wouldn't see it as rip-off. I'd be proud as heck.

A quick look at Wiki reveals the true success of the man, not only as a singer, but in a whole variety of fields. Well done that man!

And as for brain-dead consumers... You could easily have someone who loves Pat Boone, and easy listening music, whilst studying the Greek Classics or working as Michelin chef or whatever. To call millions of people, at a stroke, brain-dead is pretty offensive.

Derek

User Info Menu

Money does not equal success. it may be a nice substitute, but pandering is pandering, and basically worthless. People that willingly listen to Pat Boone do not like music.

User Info Menu

" Neil Diamond probably made more per week than Sonny Rollins made in a year." Cunamara

Hi, C,
    But that's not what I'm talking about. Neil Diamond and other "popular entertainers" had good voices and could sing pop tunes. Many "Hard Rockers"- whose music I abhor actually had talent in their genre. Pat Boone had none. He couldn't sing. Period. Listen to his songs: no vocal range and always out of tune. It's amazing to me that someone with no talent could make so much money. And, if there's an example of the "Peter Principle" in the music business--he's it's shining star.
    Finally, to all who have responded and those might in the future--I am NOT directing any animus against posters with whom I disagree in re: PB but rather venting for myself and all competent musicians who struggle with the definition of success, record deals, and monetary rewards. I have played with musicians my entire life who had incredible talents and, for whatever reason, never got their break. I understand life is not fair and there is such a thing as luck, but it usually begins with, at least, a modicum of talent. Pat Boone sings James Brown, Sam and Dave, Smokey Robinson, Jr. Walker . . . o.k., guys . . . I'm too close to breakfast to continue. Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

The music...uh...speaks for itself. However, in the spirit of "look on the bright side", props to Mr. Boone for the tip of the hat to Brother Danny Ray, James Brown's long time announcer (and cape bearer) in the intro to the (otherwise abominable) "Papa Has Purchased a Brand New Handbag".

User Info Menu

He has his own voice ... isn't that the pinnacle of what you usually ask of a musician?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    He has his own voice ... isn't that the pinnacle of what you usually ask of a musician?
    I have my own voice, too. Trust me, you don't want to hear it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Yes. But irrelevant in this case, since Boone is hardly a musician. He's an entertainer and a fraud.

User Info Menu

Music is not just performance. It is communication, it is a performance that establishes a link with an audience, so that the performer, the performance, and the audience are, however briefly, united around the song. Unlike paintings songs are "over." You have to play them again. Music is a momentary bond between performer and audience, in which the performer has decided what to present, how to present, who the hoped-for audience will be. "Success" is not about money, it's about the performer's ability consistently to create that bond and even create a level of loyalty, of persistent attention and interest. The reason many virtuoso musicians fail is that they don't care about the audience. Their disdain, even despising, of the peons and commoners who listen comes across both explicitly and implicitly.

Many musicians of only modest musical abilities "get" this and despite not having a great voice (Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, etc.) they have the virtuosic ability to mold voice, words, context, into a powerful moment of communication with an audience.

Like it or not, Pat Boone did that. He was and is deeply loved by many who found something in his music that they did not find in others.

His "No More Mr. Nice Guy" album also showed he has a quality that many musicians, including some on this forum, lack.

Ironic self-awareness.

User Info Menu

The arrangement of Sandman is actually pretty cool. I could do without Pat's vocals, but I like the backing track.

User Info Menu

Hugely popular in the 50s, second only to Elvis iirc.
    I used to have a day gig where we could listen to the radio and we had it tuned to one of the nostalgia stations that played a mix of tunes from the 40s-70s. It ntroduced many tunes to me, some that were quiet good that I adapted to jazz. The only jazz station played classical during the day and jazz at night and for us classical wasn't conducive to getting work done.
    April Love was a huge movie and hit for him and was in regular rotation. It was one of the few times I was oh so tempted to turn the volume down.
    But I don't begrudge him for "taking away from legitimate artists" There's always been and will be performers that achieve great success/popularity that we feel might not deserve it compared to some.
    You can always change the channel.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74

Keep your eyes peeled for the great Barney Kessel in the background of those Lawrence Welk shows.

User Info Menu

"And-a now we're going to play that great Duke Ellington song, Take A Train"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by digger
    And as for brain-dead consumers... to call millions of people, at a stroke, brain-dead is pretty offensive.
    There are never too many reminders on that topic.
    There sure are a surplus of 'us-and-them' talking heads.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    "And-a now we're going to play that great Duke Ellington song, Take A Train"
    I like and respect Sting.
    I really like John Dowland's lute music.
    Sting does too. He learned some lute and recorded an album of lute and vocal music including Dowland.

Somehow, Sting did not quite reach the standard set by Julian Bream and Peter Pears. But there's a 100% chance that somebody heard his record, got lit up and dove headlong toward Dowland, and changed their life.

Same deal with Lawrence Welk and-a Duke Ellington, as you note.
    Possibly the same deal with Pat Boone and James Brown.

It's a funny way to get there but when people find the path to authentic creative work we can only love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry

It's a funny way to get there but when people find the path to authentic creative work we can only love it.
    Truth: by hearing Brit Blues-Rock bands playing covers of black blues artists I checked the credits and discovered the wonderful world of old original blues...

User Info Menu

Pat Boone baptized singer/songwriter/pianist/guitarist Judee Sill in his backyard swimming pool.

User Info Menu

Ironic self-awareness? sorry, it's simply making money off the tone-deaf.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    I like and respect Sting.
    I really like John Dowland's lute music.
    Sting does too. He learned some lute and recorded an album of lute and vocal music including Dowland.
    Somehow, Sting did not quite reach the standard set by Julian Bream and Peter Pears..
    I feel the same way about Dowland and Sting, but for the record, Sting basically played "rhythm lute" (or not at all) and had a bona fide lutenist do the heavy lifting on those releases.

User Info Menu

I liked Moody River when I was 11.

And that was it for me and Pat Boone.