The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Reading the Lewis Porter bio of Coltrane "HIs Life and Music" where he mentions Wes gigging with Trane and Dolphy in California during 1962 including Monterey Jazz Festival. Internet search shows a tape of this performance surfaced some years ago. Apparently Trane wanted Wes in the band as he gave it a much "fuller" sound. Wes didn't dig the longer 20 minute arrangements. What could have been...Anyone hear of this tape?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This tape always strikes me as likely to be an ‘urban myth’. I don’t mean that it never existed, I hope it does. But if it ever surfaces, I cannot believe it will remain unknown for long.

User Info Menu

If somebody actually has the tape, damn their mfing greedy ass for not letting it be heard. Pretty sure I read someone somewhere poorly attempting to justify preventing it's publishing; no words.....

User Info Menu

wes and trane ...sept 22 1961 monterey festival..pic by jim marshall

they did 3 tunes...in an hour long set
    Wes Montgomery and John Coltrane-a8e490eb5179f7ef7c7dcb9238b8d07e-jpg

cheers

According to legend the tunes were "My Favorite Things", "Naima" and a medley of "So What, Impressions" that lasted most of the set. From what I've read Wes burned the house down...

User Info Menu

Would really, really love to hear it but I think that will never be.