The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 126 to 141 of 141

User Info Menu

I actually really liked the 80's while living them. My dad was hip, he listened to more "college rock," as they called it, REM, Replacements, Let's Active, etc.

Of course I didn't know this. I assumed everybody drove around and listened to Siouxsie and the Cure on homemade mixtapes.

Interestingly enough, I kinda rebelled against this stuff when I started playing guitar, because at that time, my early guitar heroes were all into the 70's stuff...big loud distorted guitars.

But now I can even hear pop like the Human League or Flock of Seagulls and I get very nostalgic. A lot of 80's music was really intelligent.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I think the biggest issue with the way this method is sold/marketed/price etc is really just the combination of everything, meaning if only some issues existed (like the high price) that would be fine. But to me it's like if you pretend this method is like a nice but expensive guitar:

Picture a guitar that's supposed to be the nicest guitar money can by, and it's like $8,000 (I know that a lot of archtops are very expensive, but go with me here and my more solid body thinking). Now I would think to myself, I don't care how nice it is, when there's guitars 95% as nice that are $2-4k I can't justify this even if it's the nicest guitar I would ever play.

UNLESS I get to try it, and if it honestly is the greatest thing ever and nothing compares, then maybe I can justify the price knowing it's a lifer for me.

But I feel like with the Method, it's expensive and there's no way to try it first...the Experience/videos are not good enough, especially as mentioned often the videos are like an hour+ long and filled with rambling, where a nice 10 minute video highlighting the key points with maybe visuals would be invaluable.

I think the best plan, for both Peter as a businessman and customer satisfaction, would be to either have Vol 1 be a manageable price (like maybe $30 max) so people won't be so hesitant to take the jump, or have the purchase option of maybe a 30 day trial period, or maybe even just a week, where it's only accessible via web browser, so if one cancels they just don't have access to it anymore instead of a pdf. Instead it's the regular marketing ploys of promising to throw in "special gifts" if you purchase all the volumes at once for what, roughly $1000? He's hemorrhaging money this way imo.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Gabor;1083169](George Benson is not "talented" he is one of the greatest)

How can anyone believe, that there is an exploitable secret, which will give the student a shortcut from years of learning, transcribing, listening?.

Uhh last I checked - if you have a good teacher, years of the journey can be cut.

Completely other question: how can anyone believe, that mimicking the mimicker is an achievement? Best case you will end up as 2nd grade Peter Farrell mimicker, but also sharing this questionable title with many people.

Where does Peter say any of his students should imitate HIM? Smh

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Brazenkane
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    (George Benson is not "talented" he is one of the greatest)
    How can anyone believe, that there is an exploitable secret, which will give the student a shortcut from years of learning, transcribing, listening?.

Uhh last I checked - if you have a good teacher, years of the journey can be cut.

Completely other question: how can anyone believe, that mimicking the mimicker is an achievement? Best case you will end up as 2nd grade Peter Farrell mimicker, but also sharing this questionable title with many people.

Where does Peter say any of his students should imitate HIM? Smh
    Unbeliever! George Benson obviously has the cheat codes. We just need those!

User Info Menu

$1000? Exploitation at its finest - no if ands or buts. And yes, universities in the states do the same thing. You can get a lesson a month for a whole year with some very fine guitarists at that price. I studied harmony and composition with one of Nadia Boulanger's closest protégés... you wanna know how much his books cost? Around 25 euros a piece.

User Info Menu

So the book sales are re-opened...but damn $176 for Vol 1 just to check out?

User Info Menu

The PDF books do not come with either videos or audio. Peter Farrell has done some free video on YouTube; but they don't directly support the books as such. (Some of the free videos may have other issues... I thought he swore way too much; but I can't remember how he was dressed being much of a problem - the relevant videos may have been filmed in hot weather in a room without any air conditioning.) Also, I understand lessons are available from Peter Farrell are available on a couple of platforms; but those are separate packages that you have to pay for separately. (Although you may be able to pay for expensive lesson packages and get some books thrown in.)

Also, I thought I should point out that the PDFs are DRM'd so you can't actually readily print them out. (You could probably work round it by doing a screen cap on some computers and then printing that out; but that would be a faff and could turn out to have some other disadvantages.) So you need to have an electronic device that you're comfortable reading music on, which may rule out using a desktop for some people who would read the books with a guitar in hand or a mobile phone for people with poor eyesight or a large tablet computer for people who are worried about it falling off a music stand and costing a lot of money,

William

Quote Originally Posted by troxelj
    I would love to check out the Peter Farrell books on George Bensen. He's obviously done extensive research and has mastered the technique. I haven't pulled the trigger on this for three reasons;
    1) The cost is prohibitive. I would gladly pay $100, or perhaps even a bit more, for a well laid-out book with a logical pedagogical sequence. But I find the marketing for these books to be confusing and unclear as to what I actually get. Am I just getting a bunch of PDFs I print out myself? Is it a combination of PDFs and videos? and really; $1000?!!!
    2) I am naturally wary about the kind of marketing that tells me there are "secrets" that I can't get anywhere else, and that I must pay dearly for. And then the marketing almost approaches the self-help world; investing in myself, yada yada. Then there's the limited time aspect - the books will never be available again after this date, but then six months later here they are again.
    3) The videos are hard to watch. There's no clear curriculum that I could discern, and I found them to be repetitive. And wear pants in your videos.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jco5055
    So the book sales are re-opened...but damn $176 for Vol 1 just to check out?
    I know! And that's not US dollars (-the price quote.) I'm not sure what it would cost me in US currency. But I'm not going to take the plunge.

Peter's a great player. He knows his stuff. Perhaps the next stage in the evolution of teaching the Benson method is finding someone who is not the player George is (or Peter is) but who concisely presents material so that prospective customers know just what they'd be getting for all that money.

Caveat: I'm a geezer. If the primary audience for this material is young, then Peter's approach may be highly effective.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I know! And that's not US dollars (-the price quote.) I'm not sure what it would cost me in US currency. But I'm not going to take the plunge.

Peter's a great player. He knows his stuff. Perhaps the next stage in the evolution of teaching the Benson method is finding someone who is not the player George is (or Peter is) but who concisely presents material so that prospective customers know just what they'd be getting for all that money.

Caveat: I'm a geezer. If the primary audience for this material is young, then Peter's approach may be highly effective.
    I believe I'm young, especially in the Jazz world (I'm almost 30) but I can't focus on any of his videos for more than 5 minutes or so, just way too much rambling.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jco5055
    I believe I'm young, especially in the Jazz world (I'm almost 30) but I can't focus on any of his videos for more than 5 minutes or so, just way too much rambling.
    I have that problem too. Though I'm told his lessons via Skype are very good, well worth it.

I'm not THAT keen on learning the Benson method. I was interested in Benson picking because my own picking was erratic. Great as George is as a player, I don't listen to him very much. (I listen to Herb Ellis every day---that's where my head is at.) Still, I'm sure there's a lot I could learn from this method.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I have that problem too. Though I'm told his lessons via Skype are very good, well worth it.

I'm not THAT keen on learning the Benson method. I was interested in Benson picking because my own picking was erratic. Great as George is as a player, I don't listen to him very much. (I listen to Herb Ellis every day---that's where my head is at.) Still, I'm sure there's a lot I could learn from this method.
    Yeah, even though since I'm relatively new to Jazz, George is the only non-fusion guy I really like, I'm not sold on the idea that he is the be-all end-all like this method tries to sell. But I'd at least like to check it out, but with that price...

User Info Menu

George Benson made a DVD video for Hot Licks back in the 90's where he spoke about and gave examples of his playing. It's well worth the $25.00, not sure if it still available

User Info Menu

It sure is:https://www.amazon.com/George-Benson...8277076&sr=8-1 .

$14.99 as an Amazon Video.

User Info Menu

Not the easiest to follow, George himself either. «Just do this and then that..» (played in a blistering tempo) But at least he has his pants on :

George Benson The Art Of Jazz Guitar chunk 6 - video Dailymotion

User Info Menu

I'm going to wait for the 15% off deal on those picks.

User Info Menu

Just discovered Peter Farrell’s George Benson method as of June 2023. Have not added up everything but it seems like it’s into the thousands of dollars for all of the materials now. No doubt GB. pockets his cut, considering his name is on the method and it’s really all about his approach to the Guitar/music.

I purchased volume one of the blues e-book for $39 via an Instagram link to the PF/GB website. An audio demonstration of each of the 20 lines is included in a separate zip file. There are some beautiful phrases/motifs here and picking, slurs, etc. are also notated. To my ear, initially, these particular lines are reminiscent of the Breez’n/Weekend in LA era.

Cearly, Peter Farrell has put a lot of work into this. Even using current technology to slow down and transcribe these licks would take me hours and hours to learn and notate. That would be without the insight Peter Ferrell has into George Benson‘s technique, and from what I’ve seen so far in the PDF transcriptions, and then notated fingerings/pickings, this is different than the approach I normally take.

For me, the perception of value really comes down to how committed one is to learning “the George Benson way”. I’ve been a fan of Benson since the early 70s and agree with others hear that his CTI years definitely demonstrate the zenith of his traditional jazz guitar playing. There are faint echos of that “CTI/Philly grease” in the licks present in this e-book. Of course, GB’s music evolved, he became a popular entertainer/singer, and one could observe, a pioneer in “smooth jazz”.

If the full course primarily focuses on this later evolution then I’m not really interested in purchasing any more of the e-books, and certainly not the more expensive video centric/longer e-book materials. I have not yet discovered any short snippets from the more comprehensive “George Benson, method” that would allow me to discern how valuable the whole approach would be to my musical vision. It seems like Peter simply wants you to buy the modules and proceed from there. It would be great to see some free samples of various aspects of the whole thing.

In any case, there’s only one George Benson and while we could all learn from him, we are still going to sound like ourselves. Honestly, the most effective progress I’ve made at jazz guitar has come from heavy focus on rhythm/ear training, advancing my technique, and learning tunes by listening to multiple classic versions done by the masters and transcribing some of their ideas. Oh, and of course, playing with musicians who are better than I am!
    Last edited by SevenStringJazz; 06-29-2023 at 07:58 AM.