Anthony Wilson with Larry Goldings and Jim Keltner

John McLaughlin with Joey DeFrancesco and Elvin Jones

Dr. Lonnie Smith with Jonathan Kreisberg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A fair few of the gigs that I have seen recently have been organ trios:

Coryell/Di Francesco/Cobb
    Goldings/Bernstein/Stewart
    Martyn Johnson's 'B3' trio with Jim Mullen (technically a 4-piece if you count Snowboy's Latin percussion. I don't, though it's nothing personal! However, I think that the music would still be complete without his contributions)

and up and coming is Bobby Broom at Ronnie's in May.

Albums? I like the Bernstein/Goldings/Stewart "Live at Small's" and also "Mooving and Grooving " by Jake Langley with the aforementioned Mr. Di Francesco on organ.

User Info Menu

Wow, an old thread, but a good topic!

Check out Bob DeVos' stuff.

User Info Menu

John Abercrombie is one of the modern players with firm footing and a love for the traditions. He's also one of the few who has taken the organ trio as his preferred format as a working band. His trio has Dan Wall and Adam Nussbaum. He uses the thumb too.
    But as far as my favourite of his, Timeless with Jack DeJohnette and Jan Hammer changed my life.
    David

Last edited by TH; 04-16-2013 at 09:02 AM.

User Info Menu

+111111 for Live@Yoshi's

For me, After the Rain is spoilt by the undeniably cheesy version of My Favourite Things. 'Trane got away with it, but McLaughlin doesn't IMHO.

User Info Menu

Live At Yoshi's, Pretty much everything with Bernstein, Goldings and Stewart.
    Although not a huge fan of the recordings, this:

User Info Menu

The Abercrombie stuff with Dan Wall and Adam Nussbaum is really great. Abercrombie is really one of my favorites.

Grant Green with Larry Young and Elvin on "Talkin' About" is excellent. I love Larry Young and Elvin, two of my favorite musicians.

Scofield just did a tour in Europe with Larry Goldings and Greg Hutchinson on drums. The stuff I saw on Youtube was good.

How about "Emergency!" by Tony Williams Lifetime ? Larry, Tony and McLaughlin. I could do without the good vibes spoken word stuff, but the intensity and sense of purpose in the playing is pretty evident.

A question I've thought about lately is who hasn't made an organ trio record that I'd like to hear.

Lage Lund and Kurt come to mind.

User Info Menu

I would prefer to hear Mike Moreno to those two on an organ trio. Mike has more bop chops, which complements the organ better.
    I wouldn't mind Kurt dialing in an organ tone with his HOG, though, haha. He kind of does it on one of his new songs.

User Info Menu

You can totally prefer Moreno on bebop type playing to Lage Lund and Kurt Rosenwinkel, but I don't think that you can definitively state that he is better.

I'd give "Intuit" a serious listen or ten before slighting Kurt's bop vocabulary. Lage Lund on the Bud Powell tune "Celia" and "You Do Something to Me" from his album "Early Songs" demonstrate considerable fluency in the bebop idiom.

I also think you are viewing the B-3 a bit narrowly if you are hearing it exclusively in the bebop/hard bop context. It can be used quite expressively in a variety of settings. Larry Young, Bernie Worrell, Larry Goldings and others provide countless examples of diverse applications of the organ.

Here is an album I forgot from my previous list that I don't think has been mentioned: "Upside" by Brian Charette. Ben Monder on guitar and Jochen Rueckert on drums. But I am very partial to both Monder and Jochen Rueckert, which is how I stumbled on this one. Glad I did, Charette is an excellent musician.

User Info Menu

Oh God, I don't want to get into another argument on who is better or on who sucks when I never said anyone is better than anyone.

Lage is one of my two favorite guitarists, the other being Peter Bernstein. I know his playing quite well. Kurt is another one of the guys I listen to a lot, Intuit being one of my two favorite albums of his.
    Kurt has his own vocabulary, which isn't really bebop, I've transcribed I think two or three of his solos on Intuit and you can really tell a lot of the stuff he's doing is really out there. I feel that the organ would be a strange thing to see with Kurt
    Lage's compositions (which is mainly what he plays to stay realistic) I feel wouldn't sit quite well on an organ. I've heard his recording's of Celia and You Do Something To Me, as well as another record he has called Standards (which, to no surprise, is all standards). Despite this, I would be less surprised to see Kurt on an organ than Lage, Lage just doesn't sound like it.

I did say I would prefer to hear Mike with an organ, didn't say anyone was better than anyone.

And I've heard plenty of odd examples of organ use. Larry Goldings is on Jay Azzolina's CD Local Dialect, where he does some pretty odd stuff with the organ (on a really straight fusion tune, sounded really cool). I've also heard Gary Versace with Jay, as well as with Kreisberg, and also Kreisberg and Lonnie Smith. I just feel like the organ's home base is at bop, and hard bop. Jimmy Smith type stuff. Which is why Bernstein, Goldings, and Stewart is my favorite organ trio.
    Not that I wouldn't welcome the organ in any other setting, I'm just used to hearing it like this.

User Info Menu

I think that's what I like about "Intuit" so much. That Kurt has his own vocabulary, as you said, but he , for my ears at least, makes it work on bebop material.

Gary Versace is a great name to mention. He is another great contemporary voice on the instrument. Have you checked out Bad Touch ? Its not trio, but Nate Radley is a really interesting player.

Versace is also on a Rez Abbasi album called "Snake Charmer". Which is a whole different type of thing in that familiar ogran trio instrumentation.

Re: Kreisberg on the Lonnie Smith stuff... I think that's some of my favorite work of his. New for Now is cool too.

I didn't mean to accuse you of anything. I just think that all of these guys are really interesting and at the level of excellence at which they all can play, its just a matter of preference. I apologize if it came across in a vitriolic manner.

User Info Menu

No worries, I just got out of another argument about Kurt where I voiced my opinions on him and some people went nuts over that.

I went to a session the other day with Jay where Gary Versace brought his organ to sub for the house bass player. I didn't get to play with him, but he sounded incredible.

User Info Menu

Plenty of great selections in this thread. I'll throw a few more favourites out there:

Vic Juris - 'Listen Here' (with Brian Charette and Anthony Pinciotti)

Sheryl Bailey - 'Bull's Eye' and 'Live @ The Fat Cat'

Dr Lonnie Smith - 'Pilgrimage' (with Jonathan Kreisberg and Jamire Williams')

Any of Dave Stryker's organ group recordings.

Goldings/Bernstein/Stewart - 'Live at Smalls' (or any of their recordings actually)

Trio Beyond - 'Saudades' (John Scofield, Jack DeJohnette, Larry Goldings)

User Info Menu

Don Patterson: Dem NY Dues (24? year old Pat Martino, smokin'!!!)
    Jack McDuff: Brotherly Love (Martino, Red Holloway)

User Info Menu

But My favorite Things was for Elvin, and he kills it!

In any event, the combo of Jimmy Smith, Kenny Burrell and Grady Tate shall forever be the Cadillac of organ trios, smooth, fat, always burning, and each player with the standard of the industry sound of confidence and mastery, with exquisite tone, and beautifully recorded.

Having said that, Larry Goldings is amazing, I knew him as a teenage prodigy, and he was a sure thing by the time he was 16. He's a phenomenal pianist, but his organ approach is so original, so colorful, and so very intelligent that it's a refreshing wonder.

But most of the Philly-based players are ridiculous as well.

And let's not overlook Jimmy and Wes, even though much of their recorded work is big production.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Trio Beyond - 'Saudades' (John Scofield, Jack DeJohnette, Larry Goldings)
    Damn! forgot about that one! That's a great one. My favorite on there is Big Nick.

User Info Menu

^^ Timeless with Jack DeJohnette and Jan Hammer changed my life.

Indeed! Red and Orange and Ralph's Piano Waltz especially! (Didn't Jan use a C3 instead of the usual B3?)

User Info Menu

Bumping an old thread cause organ trios are right up my alley!

All of Bob Devo's albums are top notch (though some are quartets). Highly recommended and underrated. I like 'Playing For Keeps' the best I think but all his albums are awesome including his brand new 'Shadow Box' album.

Pat Martino's 'Live At Yoshis' (w/ Joey D) is great as is his recent 'Undeniable' album (w/ Tony Monaco).

Grant Green with Larry Young is great, like the 'Talkin About JC' album.

Locally here in the greater Boston area, there's the Ken Clark organ trio. Guitarist Mike Mele is awesome. Check therm out: http://www.amazon.com/s?_encoding=UT...ch-alias=music

All of Groove Holmes stuff is great.

I really like the recent stuff of Lonnie Smith with Jonathan Kreisberg like this:

Last edited by monkmiles; 11-02-2013 at 12:06 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hallpass
    Bumping an old thread cause organ trios are right up my alley!

All of Bob Devo's albums are top notch (though some are quartets). Highly recommended and underrated. I like 'Playing For Keeps' the best I think but all his albums are awesome including his brand new 'Shadow Box' album.
    +100 on Bob's new album! Great compositions and playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    +100 on Bob's new album! Great compositions and playing.
    Glad to hear we both dig it! He such a nice, friendly guy too...just from exchanging a few emails with him. I really need to see him play live some day. I'm starting to attempt to learn 'Pause for Fed's Claws' from his 'Playing for Keeps' album....awesome tune. I saw you had/sold a guitar similar to his?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hallpass
    Glad to hear we both dig it! He such a nice, friendly guy too...just from exchanging a few emails with him. I really need to see him play live some day. I'm starting to attempt to learn 'Pause for Fed's Claws' from his 'Playing for Keeps' album....awesome tune. I saw you had/sold a guitar similar to his?
    "Pause .." is a great tune!
    I'm submitting an interview I did with him to "Just Jazz Guitar" magazine, and it'll have a lead sheet from one of his new tunes. He IS a great guy!

And yes, I unfortunately had to part with my Engel -- killer guitar!

User Info Menu

Baby face Willette /Grant Green.Check out "Stop and Listen" or "Face to Face. Baby face is also on "Grants' First Stand by Grant Green.