The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm kinda torn about this one. A really good and painstaking video editor - and player! - is behind this - BUT otherwise it is SOOOO WRONG.........

Past interview:

Q: "What music is on your phone?"

Angus: "Charlie Christian, Joe Pass, Dizzy. I'm a big Charlie Christian fan. Malcolm used to listen to him all the time when we were kids. Highway To Hell's riff is from one of Christians solos. Joe Pass is another of my idols. I really wanted to be the next Joe Pass when I was a kid but we were poor and there was no money in playing jazz so I went with hard rock."

User Info Menu

Benson and Acca Dacca... This is everything I have ever wanted in one thread.

User Info Menu

Ok you got me
    is that Angus ?

someone put me out of my misery !

thats some bitchin' playing right there ....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Ok you got me
    is that Angus ?

someone put me out of my misery !

thats some bitchin' playing right there ....
    Of course not! You can always tell Angus by his vibrato. Whoever made the video was just noodling, but close enough for trolling.

Those videos are funny, well made and make you laugh for sure... For about 3 min anyway. In the end though, I want my 3 min back.

User Info Menu

As much as I wanted that video to be legit of Angus channeling his inner GB, it’s not. Watch the following video and you will see and hear what he is actually playing. It’s good in its own right, but it’s not On Broadway.

Skip to the 3:56 mark for “On Broadway “.

Angus is known for being a jazz fan, and he considers Louis Armstrong to be one of the greatest musicians ever, but to my knowledge there are no legit videos of him playing jazz as the initial video suggests. Very cool version of On Broadway, however. I would love to know who that was on guitar.

User Info Menu

I for one didn't want it to be Angus at all. Angus is so much better than that mediocre noodling.

He's not a jazz player all right, but he never set out to be a one, and he's one of the best at what he's doing. I wouldn't expect him to be great at GB thing, just like I wouldn't expect GB to be great at what Angus is doing.

It's all in fun folks.

User Info Menu

Personally, I like the video and thought the playing was good. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but we can’t agree on the best jazz guitarist or jazz guitar either, so why should we expect to agree on the merits of the guitar playing? Thanks for the post, drumbler.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    I for one didn't want it to be Angus at all. Angus is so much better than that mediocre noodling.

He's not a jazz player all right, but he never set out to be a one, and he's one of the best at what he's doing. I wouldn't expect him to be great at GB thing, just like I wouldn't expect GB to be great at what Angus is doing.
    Respectfully, I'll disagree . The guitar playing in that spoof is certainly above Angus' level, while by no means GB, or even "jazz", it had some moderately sophisticated moments that even Angus would probably admire.

As for "mediocre noodling", I mean really, you can say that for 99% of all rock players, the good and the bad...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet

As for "mediocre noodling", I mean really, you can say that for 99% of all rock players, the good and the bad...
    I almost agree with that! But, IMO, soloing was never the key attribute of a great rock player. I know, it's a controversial view. I mean, good solo is always a bonus, but the key is rhythm and riff/song writing.

In that regard Angus is a legend and doesn't need to prove anything. Besides the man can swing! In the spoof solo I found not much swing, just a generic fusiony rock vibe. Thousand if not millions of that on YT, dime a dozen.

But yeah, it's funny, with 'have a laugh and move on' kind of value.

User Info Menu

Besides the man can swing!
    For sure, and I wonder if it is somehow related to the influence of Armstrong who he admired at an early age - his brother too, I believe ?

User Info Menu

Well played, sir.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by m_d
    For sure, and I wonder if it is somehow related to the influence of Armstrong who he admired at an early age - his brother too, I believe ?
    Yea, both of them, they always maintained that they are Rock'n 'ROLL band, not rock or metal. Their influences started and ended with Chuck Berry, Little Richard, BB KIng etc.

There was another brother, a jazz sax player in the family too, and an accordion player... 7 kids growing up together, and everyone was playing an instrument!

User Info Menu

I almost agree with that! But, IMO, soloing was never the key attribute of a great rock player. I know, it's a controversial view. I mean, good solo is always a bonus, but the key is rhythm and riff/song writing.
    I agree with you!
    I grew up on rock guitar and thought Hendrix was IT. And he was great. He wrote a lot of good songs. As I grew older, I grew more and more to admire the guitarists who 'put it all together,' like Steve Cropper (Booker T & The MGs, et al) or Keith Richards (not a great soloist but a lot of the old Stones songs still sound great. And Chuck Berry, for that matter.)

Well, Jimi DID have it all put together. I'm not saying he didn't! But everyone agrees Jimi was great.

And Angus fits in there. Absolute killer riffs and strong rhythm.

One reason I liked Stevie Ray Vaughan a lot is that he could play good rhythm. Same with Hendrix---they both fronted trios and HAD to play rhythm. (Clapton fronted a trio too but I never thought he was rhythm playing was on par with theirs.)

I liked short, hooky songs like "Secret Agent Man" (Johnny Rivers) and like John Fogerty did with CCR. They were good SONGS. The whole song was good, not just the solo.

User Info Menu

That is great. Angus cuts to the heart of why I play guitar, cause its super fun.

User Info Menu

There was another brother, a jazz sax player in the family too, and an accordion player... 7 kids growing up together, and everyone was playing an instrument!
    Older brother George Young was a founding member, guitarist, and songwriter for the Easybeats, and later co-produced AC/DC's first six albums with his partner Harry Vanda.