The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 34

User Info Menu

... to listen to!

Any style, in the song environment (don't come up with Montserrat Caballe).

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Dominique Eade a true vocal instrumentalist. She has everything: the melodic and harmonic savvy, the range, the clarity and the taste.
    She's worked with Fred Hersch, Mick Goodrick, Ben Monder, taught some of the greatest young vocalists of this generation.
    My favourite.
    David

User Info Menu

Susanna Rigacci

Last edited by cosmic gumbo; 02-03-2019 at 04:44 AM.

User Info Menu

My vote goes for Eliane Elias, no doubt.

User Info Menu

Linda Ronstadt! She had a rock-solid vocal sound that just blew out the doors when she sang rock, and when she sang other styles she did an incredible job of fitting her voice with the style of the songs. Her three albums with Nelson Riddle are for me the epitome of serious pop music performance.

Female singers you like...-lindar-jpg

User Info Menu

Any genre ?

Cara Dillon is my favourite, - the perfect voice for Celtic folk.

Why did I not pick jazz ? I tend not to appreciate "jazz singers" like I feel I should. I am much more attracted to jazz as purely instrumental music, whereas Celtic folk seems an intrinsically vocal medium.

User Info Menu

Karrin Allyson, Casandra Wilson, Tracy Nelson, Aretha Franklin, Esther Phillips, Dinah Washington are some of the female singers I like.

User Info Menu

Norma Winstone

User Info Menu

Blossom Dearie
    (heck of a piano player too)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrblues
    My vote goes for Eliane Elias, no doubt.

I went to hear her live in a jazz club about 2001 or so, and she was wearing skin tight black leather pants and a matching halter top. My wife asked me afterwards "How was it?" I replied, "That woman has the finest ass in jazz!" Needless to say that comment got me a "bad man!" retort, but I couldn't help it. So beautiful. The concert was great, too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by robertm2000
    Linda Ronstadt! She had a rock-solid vocal sound that just blew out the doors when she sang rock, and when she sang other styles she did an incredible job of fitting her voice with the style of the songs. Her three albums with Nelson Riddle are for me the epitome of serious pop music performance.

I love those Nelson Riddle recordings as well. Much as I adore and respect the great jazz vocalists it's nice to hear recordings of these tunes where the melody is done fairly close to the original.

User Info Menu

Such a wide-open question. I'll start with a few I've heard live in the last decade or so, pretty much all jazz.

• Cécile McLorin Salvant
    • Esperanza Spaulding
    • Roberta Gambarini

There are others who are very good, but any of these three are pretty much guaranteed to knock your socks off.

User Info Menu

Susan Tedeschi
    Rachael Price from lake street dive and other projects.

User Info Menu

Sarah Vaughan, Dinah Washington, Ella Fitzgerald, Anita O'Day, P. Lee.

User Info Menu

Nancy Wilson.

User Info Menu

Carmen McRae
    Sarah Vaughan
    Jo Stafford
    Dinah Washington
    Betty Carter
    June Christy

User Info Menu

Billie Holiday. Ella. One of the great tragedies for me was Linda Ronstadt's disability. She was absolutely great in several genres. Diana Krall.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by robertm2000

Saw her live back in the day, I was seated on the floor in the second row. She was a heart-stopping performer on stage. Sheer electricity.

User Info Menu

I'll say it:

Dianna Krall. Her voice just melts me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Blossom Dearie
    (heck of a piano player too)
    I love Blossom Dearie too. Love to hear her sing Cole Porter's "The Ooh-La-La".

User Info Menu

I too, dig Blossom Dearie. Some must remember when she had a gig singing some tunes for the Schoolhouse Rock series of cartoons.

User Info Menu

What? No Julie London love in here?

User Info Menu

Anita O'Day is my favorite. Check her out with Oscar Peterson and Herb Ellis (and Ray Brown and John Poole!) on "Anita Sings The Most". "Anita Sings The Winners" is another amazing album, though more arranged and with larger bands.

As for living female vocalists, Greta Matassa who lives and gigs around the PNW is a real treat...and actually it was Greta who hipped me to Anita O'Day. Greta is an incredible musician! She's married to Clipper Anderson who's a monster on bass. Greta and Mimi Fox recorded an album together "Two For The Road" which I can highly recommend.

Also highly recommended is Diana Panton from Canada. Many of her albums include the great Reg Schwager (guitar) and Don Thompson (piano/bass) as well as other superb musicians.

Sade
    Pat Benatar
    Ella

User Info Menu

I forgot about Cecile McLorin Salvant.