The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 152

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    That's great what I heard--glad to see he's back in the saddle.

I've mentioned before my fiancee's sister who is an excellent visual artist had a stroke 2 years ago that affected her speech and right sided strength. She is still recovering and improving even to this day, is back doing art and just ordered a 3-wheel bike so she could enjoy one of her main physical pursuits.
    This record is great as music but there is this part too that it's so good to see that Jimmy and Frank are good and recovered from their injuries.

I wish your fiancee's sister get better.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

According to the video Jimmy released yesterday, the release date is October first. Jimmy's still working on his commentary....

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by clebergf
    Good news!
    $29.95 was more than I expected to pay, but I'm all in!

User Info Menu

Autumn Leaves
    Unit 7
    Love For Sale
    Hangin'
    I Hear A Rhapsody
    All The Things Tempo 1 and Tempo 2
    I'm In The Mood For Love
    Satin Doll
    A Train
    Body and Soul
    How High The Moon

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Good news!
    $29.95 was more than I expected to pay, but I'm all in!
    Yeah, but with a video with their insights for each song is a great deal.

User Info Menu

can i cop for cheaper w/o the lessons?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    can i cop for cheaper w/o the lessons?
    I don't think so, at least not at the moment. And for anyone interested, it's also a little convoluted in how it works to get the tunes once you've bought the whole package.

First, you need to use one of the Truefire apps. My main computer is a chromebook, and I use the Truefire android app. I bought the collection today, and didn't see any options for getting the songs. It turns out you need to use the "Truefire 3" app for either Windows or MacOS to get the songs. *sigh*

So, I fire up my ancient Dell desktop that has Windows 10 on it (it's excruciatingly slow, so I have a dual boot with Linux Mint for that machine, but I digress). With the Windows version of the Truefire app, I can download the songs. However, there doesn't seem to be a way to download them all at once; I have to launch the video for each song and click on a download link for the audio, which is a...WAV file, which has no metadata. And the file name is not the name of the tune. In theory, you can take these files and burn them to a CD, but you'll need to know which file is which if you want to hear them in the order they are presented.

I don't fault Jimmy or Frank for this, I'm pretty sure it's a Truefire thing. And this is not intended to be a criticism of Jimmy or Frank, or Truefire, for that matter, but I think anyone interested in this product should know what's involved. I don't have a MacOS machine, so it's possible that the process is a whole lot slicker if you're part of the Apple ecosystem.

On the plus side, you get 12 tunes (in video and CD quality audio), and a video from each guitarist with commentary for each song. Whether it's worth $29.99 is for the individual to decide. I think it is, and I'm happy to throw some money at Frank and Jimmy to support their efforts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bonnerj
    I don't fault Jimmy or Frank for this, I'm pretty sure it's a Truefire thing. And this is not intended to be a criticism of Jimmy or Frank, or Truefire, for that matter, but I think anyone interested in this product should know what's involved. I don't have a MacOS machine, so it's possible that the process is a whole lot slicker if you're part of the Apple ecosystem.

On the plus side, you get 12 tunes (in video and CD quality audio), and a video from each guitarist with commentary for each song. Whether it's worth $29.99 is for the individual to decide. I think it is, and I'm happy to throw some money at Frank and Jimmy to support their efforts.
    I'm happy to give Frank and Jimmy some money. (Ain't the first time, won't be the last.) They are greats and this is a special project. (They both recently had serious injuries and did not know if they would ever play up to their own standards. It was a long slog and I'm happy both of 'em made it.)

I'm used to dealing with the TrueFire app, so that's not an issue for me. I have it on my phone too, so putting the songs there should be a snap.

A CD may eventually be issued (-I'm not sure about that. Might depend on demand.)

User Info Menu

Frank Vignola just uploaded this to his YT channel.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jack E Blue
    Frank Vignola just uploaded this to his YT channel.

This is especially sweet because "Satin Doll" is often the first song Jimmy assigns his Workshop students to learn and improvise on. (If it's not "Satin Doll," it's "Blue Bossa.") I've recorded dozens of choruses over these changes for Jimmy. He was encouraging but I was always disappointed. Gonna have to try again and see if I'm improved in the interim.

User Info Menu

jimmys jazzed!

cheers

User Info Menu

I love Frank's rhythm playing so much.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I love Frank's rhythm playing so much.

He is great at it. And he really focuses on the basics in his teaching: four to the bar and the Charleston rhythm. Starting with simple changes. He discourages the use of playalongs (for guitarists) and urges students to make their own because comping changes for several minutes is a big part of the performing life of a guitar player. It's what you do most, yet something many young players devote the least amount of disciplined practice to.

Herb Ellis also stressed this. (He was a great rhythm player too.) It's not that it is all that hard (at least, the basics) but you have to do it a lot to make it flow, and you need the endurance to be able to do it for a long time. And when done well, it pleases mightily.

User Info Menu

I grew up just outside of Philly in South Jersey, so I spent a lot of time in the late 90s/early 00s at Chris' Jazz Cafe. That's where I discovered Jimmy Bruno and his crew. Pat Martino even stopped in on occasion.

I've long loved Jimmy's playing and always wondered why he never saw widespread acclaim outside some of the tighter knit jazz guitar communities.

I realize his videos have gotten a bit curmudgeonly over the last couple years, but I still love the guy.

He's an absolute monster!

User Info Menu

Poor Jimmy, probably just born a bit too late. Guy hits the scene as a Philly style bop burner right as fusion revs up.

As for his curmudgeonishness, I find it rather charming.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Poor Jimmy, probably just born a bit too late. Guy hits the scene as a Philly style bop burner right as fusion revs up.

As for his curmudgeonishness, I find it rather charming.
    Oh, I dig it as well. And his accent reminds me off home. His videos are a bit off the wall, but the dude can still burn!

And I agree, might have just been a case of bad timing. Martino is ten years older and that might have made all the difference.

User Info Menu

Jimmy is a phenomenal player. I actually prefer him to Pat Martino. I think he's much more melodic. But that's me. Both guys are great "in their own sweet way."

User Info Menu

I rather amazed at the number of tunes he can play. He's been posting on You Tube on a regular basis and I don't recall hearing many repeat tunes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    I rather amazed at the number of tunes he can play. He's been posting on You Tube on a regular basis and I don't recall hearing many repeat tunes.

In one of his videos Jimmy says he didn't know a lot of tunes when he started performing. (He had to figure them out on the bandstand, which didn't always go as well as he had hoped.) But boy, did he sure learn a lot after turning pro!

User Info Menu

There used to be a video of Jimmy Bruno at age 16 (around 1968?) playing guitar.

He could really tear it up even then. He was unbelievable.

I can't find the video unfortunately.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbler
    There used to be a video of Jimmy Bruno at age 16 (around 1968?) playing guitar.

He could really tear it up even then. He was unbelievable.

I can't find the video unfortunately.
    I think the biggest reason he's not more known is because he was buried in orchestra pits in Vegas backing up and touring w Donny Osmond, Wayne Newton etc for so many yrs.
    He bought an ES175 from me a long time ago and he wasn't really young then.

Here's the clip w Buddy Rich...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I think the biggest reason he's not more known is because he was buried in orchestra pits in Vegas backing up and touring w Donny Osmond, Wayne Newton etc for so many yrs.
    He bought an ES175 from me a long time ago and he wasn't really young then.

Here's the clip w Buddy Rich...
    Great clip! Thanks for posting that. A new one on me. I wouldn't have recognized Jimmy!

Jimmy has some interesting things to say about his time with Buddy Rich. For one, Buddy would never let players take the "book" (of arrangements) home to study. He just didn't allow it.

But after Jimmy got tired of that kind of work, he decided he was going to play the kind of jazz he wanted to play and take the consequences. One consequence is that he is not as well-known as he might otherwise be. But I think he's happy to be playing the music he most wants to play.

He went back home to Philly and worked in a bar to support himself. He tells the story that one night there came a knock on the back door and he called out, "Who's there?"
    Answer: "Joe Pass."
    Jimmy: "Bullshit. I know Joe Pass and he would never play a dump like this."
    Turns out it really was Joe Pass.

User Info Menu

As far as I'm concerned Jimmy can be as disgraceful as he likes because he's been there, done it, and knows what he's talking about. No question, no bull, the real deal. End of.

And I like his teaching too, makes sense.

User Info Menu

And really great tone on that video!!

Is it this guitar?

Ah no, its a seven string!