The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

I don't know how (maybe because I don't listen to too many guitar players) but this guy slipped under my radar...just picked up "night songs," and I gotta say, WOW. This guy plays exactly like i love-- hip and modern, but relaxed and melodic. I cannot get enough of his playing...i really appreciate a player who can play some really hip outside stuff over a standard ballad and make it fit...does anybody know what kind of acoustic he uses on several tracks? It sounds like it might be a gypsy jazz guitar played in a decidedly non-gypsy style, but I'm not sure...whatever it is, it's beautifully recorded...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm listening to "New for Now" and "Nine Stories" for about 6 month now, and yeah, i totally agree with you !
    Best thing : The Man is travelling to France next month, and guess what, he comes in my little town called Lyon for his only gig in France
    I'm so happy !!

User Info Menu

he's better live then any of his records

User Info Menu

well, that just means i gotta get myself back to NYC.

User Info Menu

he's my favourite guitarist. he's unreal. ive been frantically transcribing his solos. absolutely great. a a nice dude as well.

User Info Menu

Kreisberg is a beast. He has everything you'd want to hear, nice chords, melodies, chops for days, awesome tone...I've seen him twice and been so amazed. Check out "The South of Everywhere" record.

User Info Menu

one of my favs at the moment..

ive got all his records/sideman work.

Some really exciting stuff.. (especially the organ trio album, New For Now.. that version of All or Nothing at All in 7 is just nuts.. from the opening intro riff, to the organ solo, to the sick outro... perfect)

one thing i will say.. and this is not to knock JK...

but i noticed after listening to his stuff alot that hes got a few pet licks that he busts out almost every time i hear him.. atleast once or twice in a cd, and a few times through his YouTube vids.

when i get home to computer with speakers, ill point one of them out.. its A SICK lick but he uses it alot. hah, i actually laughed out loud when i was listening to his new one "Night Songs" and the lick popped up in a ballady song.. so its this lick he usually plays over fast songs, but he plays it at this nice slow tempo and you can hear the whole lick at a much slower tempo than usual.

and this isnt just some simple short lick either, its a very unique signature line, if you will.

User Info Menu

heh, not that it matters, but this is the lick i hear pop up alot in his playing.

right at around 1:21 to 1:23

User Info Menu

Great player. I don't like the fact that they read the music while they play, but well.

User Info Menu

He's got a lot of Patterns that he's got worked out. I dn't think it's any different then all the methenyisms and little Wes octave tricks etc etc.

He's great, that's just my opinion. I listened to a masterclass i played with him on from Feb finally (out of fear) and just amazed at his control of the instrument... me I was a gimp fool. But it was fun none the less.

His Clinics are great, try and get something with him if you can.

I'm all for memorization... when you have tunes as complex as his... sheet music facilitates security rather then trying to memorize that melody in 21/8.

User Info Menu

jake - any chance of getting that masterclass in mp3?? no chance of seeing him here over in australia...

User Info Menu

Sorry Csoul. Jonathan was reluctant to let me Tape it in the first place. But considering that we shelled out the coin to fly him up here for the clinic and concert...

User Info Menu

Beautiful tone, lovely relaxed player and nice use of a loop on Autumn in New York. Thanks for posting this Mr B, I was unaware of existence.

User Info Menu

Smalls jazz club has been doing live internet streaming for many of their shows. Simple straight camera band shot with decent audio.

Monday October 5th
    The Ari Hoenig Group
    "Punkbop"

10:30 PM to 1:00 AM

Ari Hoenig - Drums
    Will Vinson - Alto Sax
    Jonathan Kreisberg - Guitar
    Matt Penman - Bass

NYC Eastern standard time
    Click on Live Video

User Info Menu

There's a beautiful shooting (in high definition) of the Jonathan Kreisberg Group on nunoalpi's channel on YouTube: YouTube - jonathan kreisberg nunoalpi

User Info Menu

His playing scares me...in a good kind of way. At least I've been listening to him for enough years to stop having nightmares.

jeffstocksmusic Guest
    If you aren't a fan yet, this live set w/ Ari Hoenig will likely make you one. Potter is KILLING on this. The version of Moment's Notice is almost too good.

Ari Hoenig You Are What You Hear

User Info Menu

I was fortunate enough to meet John in Atlanta in the mid-90's when he was still gigging with the Jonathan Kreisberg Trio. He was super nice, answered all of my geeky questions, and remembered me by name over the next couple of years whenever they came through town. They were a killer fusion gig, and if you can find the one CD they recorded...get it!
    It's always nice when a player that you admire is also humble and personable. Scott Henderson, and John Scofield also are just flat out nice people. I'm sure there are a lot more, at least I hope there are...I just haven't met them.