10 22.22%
  • WES MONTGOMERY

35 77.78%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 126 to 132 of 132

User Info Menu

Grant Green much easier to transcribe.
    P-90 + thinline hollowbody + pick, it almost transcribes itself.
    On the other hand some of Wes's lines are harder to hear clearly.

Other than that these players represent so much of what I love about Jazz that I cannot get myself to rank them.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 08-04-2018 at 07:35 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Knob Creek vs Woodford Reserve?
    Eagle Rare!

Re: Wes v GG, agreed, music is not a competition, but I listen to way more Grant.

User Info Menu

I often dive deep into one or the other for a time.The recent releases from Resonance Records (Funk in France, Wes Montgomery in Paris), have brought them both to the fore at the same time for me. As for the poll, there is no need to answer as there's no real-life need to choose between them.

User Info Menu

Have been checking out some ii v i videos on you tube, a guy doing back to back Wes, Pass, Burrell and does some Herbie.

Whilst it is all just a few samples when I heard the licks back to back KB stood out for melody and I thought hey GG does not play like any of these guys I hear more free melody in his playing. I know he does heaps of licks but he does not run scales like those guys especially Pass it is much more like he is singing a voice free of the restrictions of scales and arpegios even though he is of course using such tools. I like how he really exploits the advantages of the guitar in a Charlie Christian kinda way eg that root b9 root triplett pull off then to the 7th thing he does and the sweep picking.

.... not comparing, just some observations to my ears, I could, I refuse to have a fav. Wes KB and GG man oh man how lucky are we to get to hear and paw over their stuff, those live Wes recordings are ridiculously smok'n, I cannot transcribe them.

Just like today criminal to compare Kreisberg to Hekselman etc celebrate the differences.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez
    Have been checking out some ii v i videos on you tube, a guy doing back to back Wes, Pass, Burrell and does some Herbie.

Whilst it is all just a few samples when I heard the licks back to back KB stood out for melody and I thought hey GG does not play like any of these guys I hear more free melody in his playing. I know he does heaps of licks but he does not run scales like those guys especially Pass it is much more like he is singing a voice free of the restrictions of scales and arpegios even though he is of course using such tools. I like how he really exploits the advantages of the guitar in a Charlie Christian kinda way eg that root b9 root triplett pull off then to the 7th thing he does and the sweep picking.
    I think that's a beautiful summation of GG's thing. Plus - the phrasing...

.... not comparing, just some observations to my ears, I could, I refuse to have a fav. Wes KB and GG man oh man how lucky are we to get to hear and paw over their stuff, those live Wes recordings are ridiculously smok'n, I cannot transcribe them.
    Yeah Wes is tough. So many ghost notes.

Just like today criminal to compare Kreisberg to Hekselman etc celebrate the differences.
    What's the difference between Kreisberg and Hekselman again?

Haha, only kidding. To me there is actually more diversity in jazz guitar than ever before. There's so many ways to do it.... K & J are kind of in the same general corner, reverby, post-Kurt, legato modern jazz guitar with complicated chords, hybrid picking and intervallic doohickeys.

OTOH, you have Lionel Loueke, Julian Lage, Peter Bernstein, Dan Wilson, Brad Shepik, Adam Rogers, Pasqaule Grasso, Nils Felder etc etc... All with their own vibe... And that's just in NYC!

Anyway you are right, for sure.
    Last edited by christianm77; 08-05-2018 at 08:47 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    i know that you're unaware of this, but you might want to replace spook with another term.
    Amended - embarrassed...

User Info Menu

I vote for ... Joe Pass.