The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wow. In this day and age, he would have been a candidate for having his own reality show.

User Info Menu

LOL! I just posted this on facebook!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    LOL! I just posted this on facebook!
    where do you think I discovered it.

User Info Menu

I have said it before and I will say it again, eccentricity is very common in the highly gifted.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    I have said it before and I will say it again, eccentricity is very common in the highly gifted.

and some of us not so gifted too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    where do you think i discovered it.
    lol!!

User Info Menu

one of my longtime fave composers...have read his bio's etc etc...massively influential..eno, ambient. minimalism, new age. etc etc...jazz too

some classic satie compositions/melodies reworked for jazz

portrait of the artist as a young man-

Eric Satie was odd-luces-de-bohemia-46-638-jpg

cheers

User Info Menu

A friend of mine was the first person ever to perform Vexations (a single page of piano music to be repeated 840 times) solo back in the '60s. BBC cameramen turned up to film the closing moments of the event and found the pianist in a kind of energetic trance with his eyes glazed over. They attributed his state to the impressive feat of endurance. What they didn't now was that someone had spiked my friend's coffee with mescaline!

User Info Menu

Weird yes, but not in a way that harmed anyone else.

I absolutely love his music, especially the solo piano works--Gymnopedies, etc.

And yes, he was incredibly prescient about the role that minimalism and ambient would play. In the classical world John Cage, Steve Reich, Philip Glass and Arvo Part are obviously direct descendants.

User Info Menu

PMB, you wouldn't have any idea at all who that "someone" was, would you?

User Info Menu

Richard Toop. He is an excellent writer and musicologist (author of books on Ligeti and Ferneyhough), was Stockhausen's assistant in the early '70s and moved here to Australia soon after.

User Info Menu

So Toop is the one who got the mescaline, or the one who did the spiking?

User Info Menu

Richard Toop gave the performance and was the 'spikee' (I might add that he had no idea what was in the coffee). Rather than try to remember the single page of music, Richard made 840 copies and removed each page from the piano's music stand as he went along.

User Info Menu

Don't wanna spread unsubstantiated rumors, but-----------------a little bird told me Messiaen was a big nut case.

You heard it here first (;

User Info Menu

According to Jobim's sister and biographer, he was also into the occult. Not at all unusual for 'creative types' to hitch their spiritual wagons to strange frontiers of belief. (Um, Chick Corea, anyone?).

I guess we can also thank Monsieur Satie for all the gigs we play where no one pays attention...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    Richard Toop gave the performance and was the 'spikee' (I might add that he had no idea what was in the coffee). Rather than try to remember the single page of music, Richard made 840 copies and removed each page from the piano's music stand as he went along.
    Sad to report that Richard Toop, one of the most eloquent writers and thinkers on the new classical music scene, died on Monday. We hadn't seen each other for some years. He'd had a sudden illness back then and I'd called a few days later to check on his condition. He seemed to be recovering well so I had no idea when posting here about Richard's Satie performance that his health had declined so much recently.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fasstrack
    Don't wanna spread unsubstantiated rumors, but-----------------a little bird told me Messiaen was a big nut case.

You heard it here first (;
    Koo Koo for Cocoa Puffs??

User Info Menu

Eric
    Was an odd
    Bod thank
    God

User Info Menu

another genius composer wrote a book of memories about Satie.

Yuri Khanon - Wikipedia

I held the book in my hands... it's a huge volume... to me writing this is a kind of eccentricity which surpasses the definition of eccentricity and becomes an art per se.

User Info Menu

If the author of the article considers this eccentric he needs to meet more people from the arts genre

User Info Menu

A picture taken during Richard Toop's premiere solo performance of Vexations in Drury Lane, London, 1967:

Eric Satie was odd-toop-vexations-jpg