The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 36

User Info Menu

Well that was very cool! Tonight I went to see a gig by Shane Hill and Howard Alden, and Shane asked me to give Howard a lift to the station after the gig.

The last thing Howard played at the gig was an absolutely stunning solo performance of Stardust. So in the car I said to Howard, 'I'm glad you played that, because I've just been learning it. But my version is ridiculously simple compared to yours!'

To which Howard said, 'The most important thing is the melody. As long as you got that across, that's what really matters'.

So there you have it, some wisdom from Howard: Melody is king! Easy to forget it, when you're trying to cook up a fancy solo version of a tune.
    Last edited by grahambop; 05-08-2017 at 06:41 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Also Howard put his 7-string Benedetto in the boot of my car, so it is now a holy and inviolable space. I will never allow my wife to put her shopping in it again.

User Info Menu

Howard is a very nice man and I have had many conversations with him. He played at multiple house parties my friend held. This was in a living room that only had around 30 seats. The best concert was when Howard asked Jake Hanna to sit in on drums. This was one of the last performances Jake did but he was still fantastic. During breaks Howard and Jake discussed making those Concord recordings. Jake was often the house drummer for the label when it first got started.

At another party it was Howard and Bruce Forman; that was interesting because their styles are very different. Alden uses a lot more chords in his solos and his overall harmony I find a lot more interesting (hey, playing will George Van Epps helps!), while Forman has smoking bebop single lines.

My friend was into Django and since Alden played the music in the Woody Allen film there was a lot of request for that style. But Alden admitted that while he liked it, it wasn't one of his favorite so he only played one tune in that style. In addition when I requested Yesterdays, Howard knew what I wanted but the women next to me said she loved The Beatles also (hey I love the Beatles but I wanted to hear them play the Kern tune!).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Well that was very cool! Tonight I went to see a gig by Shane Hill and Howard Alden, and Shane asked me to give Howard a lift to the station after the gig.

The last thing Howard played at the gig was an absolutely stunning solo performance of Stardust. So in the car I said to Howard, 'I'm glad you played that, because I've just been learning it. But my version is ridiculously simple compared to yours!'

To which Howard said, 'The most important thing is the melody. As long as you got that across, that's what really matters'.

So there you have it, some wisdom from Howard: Melody is king! Easy to forget it, when you're trying to cook up a fancy solo version of a tune.
    I know Shane. He invited me to the gig, but I had one on unfortunately. For those who don't know him Shane's own command of chordal stuff is pretty startling actually - like Tal Farlow (his teacher) meets Holdsworth!

Funnily enough, I've been looking through Stardust. Basically the melody of Stardust is itself a huge challenge IMO. I would have liked to have heard Howard play it...

Anyway, Howard is playing on Wednesday night at Kansas Smittys, Broadway Market on Wednesday night. I may head down to that....
    Last edited by christianm77; 05-08-2017 at 07:23 PM.

User Info Menu

BTW I think Howard might be at the Clocktower Cafe, Croydon on Thursday lunchtime as well (IIRC) - he likes to pack a few dates in....

User Info Menu

In what key did Howard play Stardust, Graham?

Melody is a sure guide post for creating a solo performance. In my humble experience the most important thing is determining in what fret position to play the melody if you are playing solo. It doesn't come ex nihilo, right? Many people seem to find that song complex, though I fail to understand why - it's just beautiful. Hoagy shows promise as a composer.

User Info Menu

So you are in London, Christian? I'm presuming that great city is the locus of these clubs to which you refer. Lucky to be in a cosmopolitan city with the entertainment resources it offers.

User Info Menu

Also Howard put his 7-string Benedetto in the boot of my car, so it is now a holy and inviolable space. I will never allow my wife to put her shopping in it again.

What is the boot of a car?? In Chicago, getting your car booted is very bad news.

I got a guitar once apparently owned by Howard--a 7 string experimental gypsy guitar made by some guy in North Carolina that has 4 experimental looking f holes. Very unique instrument.

I went to hear him give a master class at the Old Town of Folk Music here. Very very nice guy, easily relate-able, really down to earth. We chatted briefly, asked me what my what background was, I said I was just a student studying with a teacher. When I named the teacher, his eyes got big and there was a gape in his mouth and he blurted out, "you are very lucky; an absolutely legendary player, legendary player".

I wish I still had the notes-handouts for that session. At this point, I couldn't tell you what he spoke of. All I remember was that was a classy, super friendly cat.

I'll tell you whose handouts I still have from a master class, and they are copious--it may take months, possibly years to grok them: Gene Bertocinni. Now that guy was UNBELIEVABLE in his genius.

PS: every reputable player worth their salt I've talked to has said, "base it on the melody". Every single one. It's only on message boards where you get the "Lydian Dominant to ALT to 2nd mode of melodic minor in the course of two bars" discussions.
    Last edited by NSJ; 05-08-2017 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Veritas
    Many people seem to find that song complex, though I fail to understand why - it's just beautiful.
    I don't know about anyone saying it's COMPLEX. It's difficult to play WELL. It's a beast. Lots of space In the phrasing of it. Sure, it's pretty straightforward if you're playing it classical style or whatever.

User Info Menu

Do you play this song solo, Matt? If so, what keys do you prefer? I think the choice of key makes a significant difference. I use different keys in varied circumstances, such as accompanying a male or female vocalist. No one right answer, of course.

There are a lot of examples of solo versions of Stardust on YouTube. Howard Morgan is one example. Clearly there are two principal approaches to solo standard playing. Those who attempt to represent the melody and harmony faithful to the original song, and those who take a more improvisational approach. Martin Taylor is an example of the first type, and someone like Howard may be more improvisational. I like both styles. I'm going to see if I can find a video of Howard playing this song. Would be very interesting to hear his version.

Here is one cool version with Howard improvising with another fine player in the key of C, a good key for this tune. Nice improvisational approach.
    Last edited by Veritas; 05-08-2017 at 08:12 PM.

Do you play this song solo, Matt? If so, what keys do you prefer? I think the choice of key makes a significant difference. I use different keys in varied circumstances, such as accompanying a male or female vocalist. No one right answer, of course.

There are a lot of examples of solo versions of Stardust on YouTube. Howard Morgan is one example. Clearly there are two principal approaches to solo standard playing. Those who attempt to represent the melody and harmony faithful to the original song, and those who take a more improvisational approach. Martin Taylor is an example of the first type, and someone like Howard may be more improvisational. I like both styles. I'm going to see if I can find a video of Howard playing this song. Would be very interesting to hear his version.
    We posted our versions in the Stardust practical standards thread. Feel free to post yours with sunsets or whatever.

User Info Menu

Sunsets?

What forum section are your posts under?

User Info Menu

Here is one cool version with Howard improvising with another fine player in the key of C, a good key for this tune. Nice improvisational approach.
    Howard Alden is a friend of mine. We have performed together in concert and have jammed a few times. He is a world class player to be sure. The other player in that video is Hank Bones, a fine jazz guitarist from North Carolina. Hank's uncle is a friend of mine and whenever Hank is in California visiting his uncle, he comes and sits in on my solo gig. He is a fine player indeed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    BTW I think Howard might be at the Clocktower Cafe, Croydon on Thursday lunchtime as well (IIRC) - he likes to pack a few dates in....
    Yes it sounded like Howard is playing gigs around the south-east almost daily, for the next few days.

Just memorising the melody of Stardust (with the intro) I found a challenge. But I did learn it eventually. I must put up a video of my attempt sometime.

Actually Howard played 2 other solo things - one was a Van Eps tune called Tango el Bongo. The other one was incredibly complex but I forgot to ask Howard what it was. I'll have to do some research. It reminded me a bit of one of those things Carl Kress or Dick McDonough used to play.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    What is the boot of a car?? .
    'Trunk' to you, old chap!
    Last edited by grahambop; 05-09-2017 at 04:23 AM.

User Info Menu

Where was last night's gig Graham? It didn't appear on Howard's website. I'd like to hear Shane Hill play - I've heard good things from Christian and others.

For anyone in the South-East area, I've pasted below Howard's dates from his website. I'll probably be at Kansas Smitty's tomorrow night for his gig there with Dave Archer.

May 9 Brentwood, England Howard Alden trio; with Simon Woolf – bass; David Dyson - drums 8 – 10.30PM Spike’s Place Bardswell Club Weald Road, Brentwood, Essex CM14 4TJ
    May 11 Croydon, England; Howard Alden & Simon Woolf 12.15 – 2.15PM Croydon Clock Tower 9 Katharine Street Croydon CR9 1ET
    May 11 Beckenham, UK Howard Alden trio; with Simon Woolf – bass; Matt Fishwick - drums 8.30 – 11PM Spike’s Place Langley Park Club, 2 Hawksbrook lane, Beckenham, BR3 3SR
    May 12 London, UK; "An Evening of Improvistaion" with Howard Alden, Matthew Sear & Esta Rae - Schott's Music, 48 Great Marlborough Street London, England
    May 14 Brighton, UK: Howard Alden trio with Geoff Simkins – alto sax; Simon Woolf – bass 8.30 -11PM Verdict Jazz Club 159 Edward Street, Brighton BN2 0JB;
    May 15 Porthsmouth, UK; Portsmouth Jazz Club; Howard Alden quartet; with Olly Wilby – tenor sax; Sebastiaan de Krom drums Simon Woolf – bass
    May 17 London, England; Howard Alden quartet; with Olly Wilby – tenor sax; Sebastiaan de Krom drums Simon Woolf – bass 8.30 -11 606 Club 90 Lots Road London, SW10 0QD, 020 7352 5953;
    May 18 Saffron Walden, England; Spike’s Place - Howard Alden trio with Olly Wilby – tenor sax; Simon Woolf – bass; Matt Home - drums 8.30 – 11
    May 20 Ashton, UK; Aston Jazz Club Howard Alden trio + guests; Howard Alden – guitar; Olly Wilby – tenor sax; Simon Woolf – bass 7.30 -10
    May 21 Ipswich, UK; Ipswich Jazz Club; Howard Alden quartet with Olly Wilby – tenor sax; Sebastiaan de Krom drums Simon Woolf – bass

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Where was last night's gig Graham? It didn't appear on Howard's website. I'd like to hear Shane Hill play - I've heard good things from Christian and others.
    It was at a pub in Betchworth, Surrey. Only a small place, I'm not sure how much it was publicised. I think Shane organised it, I know it was mentioned on his facebook page a while back.

They also had Pete Long on clarinet and Jacqueline Sampson on vocals, it was a great evening.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I know Shane. He invited me to the gig, but I had one on unfortunately. For those who don't know him Shane's own command of chordal stuff is pretty startling actually - like Tal Farlow (his teacher) meets Holdsworth!

Funnily enough, I've been looking through Stardust. Basically the melody of Stardust is itself a huge challenge IMO. I would have liked to have heard Howard play it...
    Yes Shane did some nice chord stuff in his solos, reminded me of Wes a bit. He can also play very fast single note lines. He had put low bass strings on his E and A, so both he and Howard (on his 7 string) were able to take over 'bass' duties as required!

Howard's 'Stardust' was brilliant. He kept the melody in mind throughout, but he put just about everything else in too, I can't describe it! Counterpoint, bass lines, beautiful chord movement, the lot.

User Info Menu

almost 30 yrs ago Howard came to town w/ an old timey type of ensemble in a church.
    Terry Waldo was playing piano, excellent marimba player, bass.

Howard played his old 40's Gibson L-5 and did a few solo tunes from the Kress/McDonough/Lang book.
    He also played solo and ensemble tenor banjo.

I taped the show on cassette, need to dig it out and see if it stll plays.

User Info Menu

It would certainly be nice to see some of these gigs show up on YouTube. I'm certainly not able to get across the Atlantic to see them.

User Info Menu

'Trunk' to you, old chap!

yah, it was either going to be that or the back seat.

Now you got me thinking about that master class with Howard. There was another guy in the audience (just a few people seated in chairs close to each other) whom I thought was just another attendee.

Turned out he was actually playing with Howard that evening. I had never heard of him before, but he was super nice, as well. His name is Andy Brown, and he plays around town, often solo guitar.

Well worth checking out. He and his wife actually perform as a duo (singer backed by Andy on guitar) at a local library here, in the suburbs). If I didn't work so much, I would definitely check that out, myself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    We posted our versions in the Stardust practical standards thread. Feel free to post yours with sunsets or whatever.

I had to laugh at this post when I saw it last night. Right on target.

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    I had to laugh at this post when I saw it last night. Right on target.
    Target? :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    Target? :-)
    I'd begun to wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    I'd begun to wonder.
    Just surreal. The stuff of legend.