The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 67

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Binyomin
    I was just thinking that in the glory days of the Mahavishnu Orchestra they were playing in the venues used by rock groups and usually on the same bill with rock groups. There had to be some money in that.

back then, most bands lost money touring, hoping to generate record sales...the record labels had it all set up...exact opposite of whats going on today, where record sales are dead and performers survive by playing out

also tickets back then were 5$...not 250$

cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg
    GB's networth seems to be around $5 million which seems low for his accomplishments

Last I heard Metheny was also worth about $5 Million ... which places him on par with George
    that's because what metheny saved at the barbershop, benson paid to the plastic surgeon!!

(it's a joke!)

who's the most successful jazz guitarist?-all-stooge-facepalm-gif

cheers

User Info Menu

Joe Pesi.

who's the most successful jazz guitarist?-goodfellas-joe-pesci-funny-scene-620x413-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    back then, most bands lost money touring, hoping to generate record sales...the record labels had it all set up...
    But they did generate record sales, didn't they? Rock audiences were blown away. I remember seeing the Mahavishnu Orchestra on one of those 90 minute Rock Concert television programs and buying Birds of Fire at my small town shopping mall Music land. I guess I was 12 and that ended up being my first jazz record purchase.

User Info Menu

that's because what metheny saved at the barbershop, benson paid to the plastic surgeon!!

(it's a joke!)

cheers
    LOL

GB should have put some early money down on Starbucks with Kenny G

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hep To The Jive
    Me! I have two $50 gigs this week!!
    Goddamned 1%ers, they just have to brag.

User Info Menu

If it's financial terms we're talking about, it apparently wasn't Allen Holdsworth (RIP)...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus
    Goddamned 1%ers, they just have to brag.
    next he'll be tellin us he got bar mix and pbr's!!

who's the most successful jazz guitarist?-indian-spiced-bar-mix-3-jpg

cheers

User Info Menu

(it's a joke!)

cheers
    Perhaps, but that doesn't mean it isn't true ...

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    By contrast, Andy Summers, the guitarist with The Police, and a sorta kinda jazzy guitarist for a rock group, is worth $100 million.
    Wow. That's a lot of money- that's almost Beatles Money ( Ringo , George maybe ?).

Anyway Police were a very creative Group as was Summers:

Listen to the Chords, Harmonic Rhythm and the Rhythm Section - who ever did Guitar Work like this on a Pop Hit- not many.

And who would be the Model for playing like this on a Pop Hit?

This ain't in the Berklee Books- though the Tools may be.

I'm impressed IF accurate that Metheny has made millions playing and writing Jazz and Music he loves-cool.

I hope people like Kriesburg/ Moreno/ Rosenwinkel and those younger Generation Guys are pulling a few hundred Grand per year....
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 05-04-2017 at 07:55 PM.

User Info Menu

"Every single meeting with his so-called superiors,
    Is a humiliating kick in the crotch"

One of the best lines ever.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    By contrast, Andy Summers, the guitarist with The Police, and a sorta kinda jazzy guitarist for a rock group, is worth $100 million.
    I think that it would be interesting to know how much of his worth results from his Police stuff versus the sizeable amount of Jazz work he has produced.

I am a guitarist. I have probably 95% of what he has put out. Maybe the nonguitarists forego the jazz stuff altogether?

I just finished his autobiography, btw. Good read IMHO.

User Info Menu

If Summers is a jazz guitarist, then so is Clapton...he's played with Wynton @ Lincoln Center.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    If Summers is a jazz guitarist, then so is Clapton...he's played with Wynton @ Lincoln Center.
    So what more than this do you have to do in order to be a jazz guitarist?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    So what more than this do you have to do in order to be a jazz guitarist?

Improvise

User Info Menu

Plus Clapton was Great but Summers even in the Police had the type of Voicings and Rhythms associated more with a Jazz or Fusion Player.

I actually hear the overall Rhythm Section more now when I listen to the Police and they were just IMO - not worth debating- a brilliant Jazz Pop Fusion Group- and they did it without watering anything down...

Summers Rhythm and Colorist , Creative Guitar work in Police sounds even better to me now than when I first heard it.

Has to be one of the most underrated Guitarists ever....

Does his Jazz Stuff have aggressive Rhythms or more 'fit in' to Jazz Format ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Another casual 'Test' ( not scientific )if someone is a Jazz Guitarist - would be if they can and do play Standards or could nearly instantly if they chose to...

I at this point am 'Jazz Influenced ' and advanced in some ways but don't have ( Major Parts ) part of the skill set that True Jazz Guitarists have ( and take for granted )for Chord Melodies/ Standards/ Reharmonization- getting together with other Jazz Musicians and calling out Standards and Playing them extremely well with No Rehearsal ( ? !) with intros and outros ?

WTF- ?

I can get it by comparing Jamming on a Blues ..

Now I probably don't need to learn Standards for what I've been working toward - but understanding some of them is good- and I will HAVE to be able to improvise like a MF over my own Material at least.

I actually wrote a 6/8 Blues long ago to Jam with Jazz Musicians - and they can Jam on it really well but I can't Jam on most of theirs- that's for sure especially as Polished as they are...

But I will always say 'Jazz Influenced ' because it is a lower burden of Responsibility - really - lol.
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 05-05-2017 at 12:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Robertkoa
    Plus Clapton was Great but Summers even in the Police had the type of Voicings and Rhythms associated more with a Jazz or Fusion Player.

I actually hear the overall Rhythm Section more now when I listen to the Police and they were just IMO - not worth debating- a brilliant Jazz Pop Fusion Group- and they did it without watering anything down...

Summers Rhythm and Colorist , Creative Guitar work in Police sounds even better to me now than when I first heard it.

Has to be one of the most underrated Guitarists ever....

Does his Jazz Stuff have aggressive Rhythms or more 'fit in' to Jazz Format ?
    I totally agree except for the "Jazz Pop Fusion Group" label. That is a bit much for me. I just see very deep "radio play rock" that reflected the times well. Throwing in some "jazz chords" doesn't equate to jazz music for me.

I still need to get his last couple of releases, but Summers has released a wide range of jazz styled music. Drum machines, Robert Fripp and John Etheridge collaborations among others, jazz swing, Monk covers, etc. Summers is a smart guy. He knows how to let his projects be what they are without any false pretenses IMHO.
    Last edited by lammie200; 05-05-2017 at 12:13 PM.

User Info Menu

@lammie200- yes I certainly can't disagree...

Maybe my 'Jazz Pop Fusion' label is a stretch.

Those three are all really smart Guys- I see film scores sometimes with Stuart Copeland's name- is that the Drummer from Police ?

I wasn't a big fan and actually didn't notice how Progressive some of their stuff was....

I remember seeing some of their Reunion Tour on TV and thought they didn't Mix the Rhythm Section too well....Sting's Basslines and Copeland's Kick Drums were mixed without much low end and low in Volume-
    byt they could really Play....

By the way - you ( not Just you ) are why I
    should not label myself as a Jazz Guitarist
    although I am much closer than Summers was in Police- I swing and have adopted bebop phrasing ( proudly ) because it allows me to play chromatically and explore and even 'wrong' notes can be recovered from etc ( not always lol).

But if some kid sees me Playing and asks if I am a Jazz Guitarist- unless I play Standards - that's misleading -also kind of like saying your a Doctor/ MD when you are a Chiropractor- but I am becoming a really good Chiropractor and Jazz helps- I just prefer and am much better at Modern Voicings and Rhythms..
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 08-10-2017 at 10:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Those three are all really smart Guys- I see film scores sometimes with Stuart Copeland's name- is that the Drummer from Police ?
    If you like the Police you might want to watch the documentary about the reunion tour if you haven't seen it. Copland's personality really shines. Reminds me of my ten year old contrarian daughter.

And, yes, he has done some film scores. Can't say that I remember which ones off the top of my head though. Wiki time...

User Info Menu

Copeland and Summer both have done film and TV scoring. Looking that the money of the guy Sting has most 300 million, then Summers 100, and then Copeland 80. Shows the value of play Pop/Rock and songwriting royalties. For that kind of money I would say they own their own music and have good money managers investing for them.

I would say playing Jazz and Fusion is a very tiny slice of their financial wealth. Look at Benson and Metheny at only 5 million and they have that because a lot of their music crosses over into Pop world. You don't play Jazz for the money.

User Info Menu

I don't care what anyone calls Andy Summers. I call him "brilliant."

User Info Menu

For all the folks we're discussing, most of that money came a long time ago. Records sales for all genres are usually a fraction of what they were, with a few specific artists breaking out (Beyonce, Gaga). Paul McCartney talked about this in an interview not so long ago- the record company tells him sales are great by current standards, but the volume in a month is what it used to be in a day. Some of that is changing tastes, but most of it is changing buying patterns. Spotify, satellite radio, etc., are way more convenient than buying songs or albums. And the royalties from those are a pittance.

User Info Menu

Has anyone mentioned Chet Atkins?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 55bar
    Has anyone mentioned Chet Atkins?
    I don't think so, but worth mentioning. I was going to bring his name up in another thread about jazz guitarists that swing, but thought that I would get shut down since he was so much more versatile than just (what I think could be considered) swinging jazz.