The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 126 to 150 of 150

User Info Menu

I listen a lot, and feel inspired a lot, but can honestly say I can't name a single influence. Probably because I don't want to really resemble anyone's playing. OK, I probably did when I was young, but after you realise you can sorta sound like 'em, but you can never really think like 'em, you just find faith in the way you learn to think on the instrument, and hope that it doesn't remind anybody of anyone else.

I'm honestly influenced by my own chaotic, random discoveries, or by my absorption of the idiomatic language of the Jazz styles I love more than anything else. I can't really understand why anyone would put in so much time and effort into learning Jazz only to come out sounding like specific players who will always be a better, more original versions of what you're doing. Where's the satisfaction in being influenced by, say, Wes to the point where people can actually hear it?

And if you say you can be influenced by someone without sounding like them, then do you call that "influence", or inspiration?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    What about the 5 painters that have inspired you the most?
    Oh man! Yeah. I know you're being silly but yes. Van Gogh is number one. Monet, Munch. The Impressionists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I fell in love with music. With jazz. Never with the guitar.

User Info Menu

Turner
    Frankenthaler
    Rothko
    Richter
    And Turner again, because he was amazing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    If it came down to just one, I think my choice would be Earl Klugh (why does the predictive text on this tablet want to spell his surname 'Mouth'?!).
    I'd heard of Earl Klugh and heard bits and pieces over the years but only recently started listening more closely.
    Truly a great player.

User Info Menu

Painters eh? Obviously not just painters we like, but have been inspired musically by?

Interesting, here's what I'm recalling:

Carravagio

Man Ray

Lyonel Feninger

Magrite

Bunuel (hmm, more the "conceptual artist", but great music and "attitude" inspiration for me nonetheless...)
    Last edited by princeplanet; 06-23-2017 at 12:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Turner
    Velasquez
    Francis Bacon
    Masaccio
    Poussin
    Last edited by mrcee; 06-23-2017 at 06:59 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    Oh man! Yeah. I know you're being silly but yes. Van Gogh is number one. Monet, Munch. The Impressionists.

You know what? I am totally with you on Van Gogh. He is just the greatest.

My favourites change over time... I'll have a think and post...

User Info Menu

Constable
    Sorolla
    Van Gogh
    Monet
    Dalí

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by miguelnight
    I started out with Earl being my main influence especially on the chording aspect. As I became more experienced, GB became the main guy for soloing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You probably know that Earl played in GB's band in the '70s. Both solo on this, which I love so much:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrcee
    I'd heard of Earl Klugh and heard bits and pieces over the years but only recently started listening more closely.
    Truly a great player.
    He and Al Jarreau were my faves back in the '70s. Got to see and meet both at concerts in London (had my picture taken with Earl, and I'm still an unrepentant fanboy ). Back then, I was more blown away by Greg Phillanganes's live reproduction of his recorded solo on Heartstring:

Nowadays what speaks to me about Earl's solo playing is - firstly - his persona and temperament, and - secondly - the stylistic and technical influence of Bill Evans via Lennie Breau. Beautiful.

User Info Menu

I started as a kid painting. My heroes were the impressionists. Afterwards I played guitar. But I always heard the paintings and saw the music.

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    You probably know that Earl played in GB's band in the '70s. Both solo on this, which I love so much:
    Yes indeed! I'm an Earl Klugh buff. My favorite albums are Midnight In San Juan, Heartstring, Late Night Guitar and Nightsongs. His debut album (liner notes endorsed by Benson) also pretty damned awesome.

User Info Menu

Van Gogh, Rembrandt, Rothko, Monet, Mrs. k

User Info Menu

commonly known guys-

bruegel (peter the elder)...vincent (van gogh)...jackson pollock...paul klee...picasso

picasso would have been good at just about anything..he even would have been a good boxer...he was all about detail, and then deconstructing and reconstructing..@ a very high level

pollock used to "throw down" his paint while listening to louie armstrongs hot 5's!!!

klee was like a studio wizard...building intertwining layers

also just saw monet early works show and it was mindblowing..still processing it

it all comes together...all art...painting, poetry, cooking, guitar, etc etc ...whatever...just live it & be fearless!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sickz
    1. Pat Metheny
    2. Gilad Hekselman
    3. Lage Lund
    4. Jonathan Kreisberg
    5. Mike Moreno
    Wouldn't it be funny if by some cosmic jest you sounded exactly like Carl Kress?

User Info Menu

Sherwin Williams

User Info Menu

Kandinsky is a painter you can hear

What 5 Guitarist have influenced you the most-kandinsky_4-jpg

User Info Menu

Wouldn't it be funny if by some cosmic jest you sounded exactly like Carl Kress?
    Haha, it would be funny indeed.

But i mean, there have been other weird (atleast to me) jumps between people and their biggest heroes. I believe Pat Metheny said he learned to play jazz from Wes Montgomerys "Smokin at the Half note" record with Wynton Kellys trio, still he has one of the most unique and recognizable guitar sounds in jazz and don't sound like Wes at all. (in my opinion)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sickz
    Haha, it would be funny indeed.

But i mean, there have been other weird (atleast to me) jumps between people and their biggest heroes. I believe Pat Metheny said he learned to play jazz from Wes Montgomerys "Smokin at the Half note" record with Wynton Kellys trio, still he has one of the most unique and recognizable guitar sounds in jazz and don't sound like Wes at all. (in my opinion)
    True. And Wes doesn't sound much to me like Charlie Christian, his idol.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Kandinsky is a painter you can hear

What 5 Guitarist have influenced you the most-kandinsky_4-jpg
    yes..he was a heavy theorist...was super into colors..and their correspondences...broke down the specifics

id say he's like pat martino!!! haha

cheers

User Info Menu

Painters? for starters:

Monet

Van Gogh

Guy Rose

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by miguelnight
    Yes indeed! I'm an Earl Klugh buff. My favorite albums are Midnight In San Juan, Heartstring, Late Night Guitar and Nightsongs. His debut album (liner notes endorsed by Benson) also pretty damned awesome.
    Oh, yeah!
    What 5 Guitarist have influenced you the most-14982867712391071365361-jpg

User Info Menu

Angus Young
    Joe pass
    Van Halen
    Buddy guy
    Otis rush

Inviato dal mio FRD-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    But I always heard the paintings and saw the music.
    What a wonderful thought.

I was reminded of British artist Stephen Witshire's formidable vision and recall. What if...?