John McLaughlin
    Steve Via
    Scott Henderson

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alder Statesman
    1. Segovia
    2. Chet Atkins
    3. Terry Kath (One of the most underrated guitarists ever)
    4. Pete Townshend
    5. Maury Muehleisen (Even more underrated than Kath)
    +1 on Maury. When I started playing, I'd listen to Jim Croce albums and think, "Who is that, and why is no one talking about him?" Still love all his parts on those records.

User Info Menu

Bill Frisell
    Lage Lund
    Michael Landau
    Eric Johnson
    Gilad Hekselman

User Info Menu

Maybe that should read 5 "EARLY" and 5 "Adult years" influences.

So many... Most are (I think) recognized by last names.

Early (sorry for 7)

McLaughlin
    Blackmore
    Clapton
    Howe
    Beck
    Akkerman
    Alvin Lee

Later

Farlow
    Django
    DeMiola
    Petrucci
    Les Paul ( rediscovered him in later years)

User Info Menu

The people who have most inspired me to want to play and to whose work I return again and again (Disclaimer - I cannot play like any of these people. But they have opened my mind and my ears to a universe of possibilities):
    Jazz: Joe Pass, Kenny Burell, Grant green, Django Reinhart, Howard Roberts
    Blues: Son House, Muddy Waters, Big Bill Broonzy, Rory Gallagher, BB King
    Rock & Roll: Chuck Berry, Carl Perkins, John Lennon, Keith Richards, Bo Diddley
    Rock: Jimi Hendrix, Billy F. Gibbons, Ritchie Blackmore, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton

User Info Menu

Frisell
    Campilongo
    Rosenwinkel
    Abercrombie
    Cornell Dupree...

User Info Menu

Wow. I am surprised there are only 2 Johnny Smith's and multiple Carlos Santana's. Both are in my top 5. I am glad Al DiMeola gets the recognition he deserves too.

This really is a great thread.

Thanks!
    Joe D

User Info Menu

I did not mention anybody when I was actually learning to play, I only listed those that really influenced my style of composition and the way I have played the last 3 decades. I only played like 3 years before I became a fuse head.

Short story on that? I seen Frank Zappa on his "Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar" tour and I swear I just could not appreciate anything even remotely resembling popular music ever again. I had no prior experience to fusion before that less the occasional some would just be playing at like a friends house or something. I really was just blown away.

I was a typical over the top annoying Rush head when I first leaned to play and I would site Alex Lifeson as my first teacher but no books and I certainly never met the man. I mean I learned every song Rush ever did up through "Moving Pictures" in my first two years of playing. After the Frank show I don't think I ever voluntarily listed to Rush ever again to this day. My band did cover the live version of"La Villa" in the early 1990's though.

User Info Menu

1. Peter Bernstein
    2. Joe Diorio
    3. Peter Sprague
    4. Scott Henderson
    5. Wes Montgomery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I think Scott Henderson would be pleased to see the love he got here.....

I talked to him at length at a show in Denver once and I felt bad for him, he seemed a really down.

User Info Menu

It was Scott Henderson who hammered me daily for two years to be melodic. To stop rambling. To develop an idea. To play an idea through the changes versus over the changes. To play "off" yourself. He always stressed momentum, movement, space, and rhythm.

Check out his solo on Footprints on the HBC album. Monster Jazzer that took a different direction.

A brutally honest educator. He used to stop playing, let us have it with our bul&$@t scales and take a restroom break. About 20 guys would just sit there and wait till he came back. And he did, and then back to jaw dropping improv. Amazing player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

1. Joe Pass
    2. Kenny Burrell
    3. Grant Green
    4. George Benson
    5. Pat Metheny

User Info Menu

In no particular order ...

Joe Pass
    Django Reinhardt
    Wes Montgomery
    Laurindo Almeida
    Ralph Kolsiana.

Ralph who? Unsung steel pioneer who befriended me in years ago and helped me move ahead on steel guitar.

User Info Menu

George Benson
    Grant Green
    Tal Farlow
    Joe Pass
    Herb Ellis

and +1 on what JD said about Pasquale Grasso.

User Info Menu

Johnny Smith
    Tal Farlow
    Les Paul
    Freddie Green
    Django Reinhardt

More so I think I am influenced by horn players; Benny Goodman, Urbie Green, Dizzy Gillespie, Louis Armstrong etc.

User Info Menu

There doesn't appear to be any mention of Rich Seversen in the guitarists who have influenced ourselves,
    and I am guilty of this also. IMHO Rich's lessons ,PDFs and MP4s are excellent value for money for
    intermediate players, ( or those aspiring to be) .He is no slouch as a player either !
    His lessons are presented in a very amiable manner, and simple to follow. For those who have not sought
    him out I would suggest it might be worthwhile taking a look.?( No affiliation )

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    There doesn't appear to be any mention of Rich Seversen in the guitarists who have influenced ourselves,
    and I am guilty of this also. IMHO Rich's lessons ,PDFs and MP4s are excellent value for money for
    intermediate players, ( or those aspiring to be) .He is no slouch as a player either !
    His lessons are presented in a very amiable manner, and simple to follow. For those who have not sought
    him out I would suggest it might be worthwhile taking a look.?( No affiliation )
    +1 on Rich. People forget about teachers as influences, but they're frequently the most influential. Unless our playing is actually informed by the people we name -- unless we learn something identifiable from them -- we're really only fans of their playing, and not students of it.

With that in mind, I'd like to name Rod Toll as a major influence. He was my teacher for a couple of years when I first started playing. One of the first things he did was to ask me who I liked to listen to, then -- in lesson after lesson -- he showed me how to play signature parts to their most well-known tunes.

Using that approach, I was able to immediately have something to play when my friends asked what I was learning, which was a major confidence-booster. Not only that, but he would use the material he taught me to also explain the theory behind it, and taught me the fundamentals of scale/chord construction, how to read music, and other things essential to become a musician, and not just a guitar player.

I only took lessons from him for a couple of years, and I don't remember why I quit, but he taught me things I was able to come back to time and again over the years. I still have the manuscript book I used to take to my lessons every Monday night back in the very early 80s.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=snailspace;744113]+1 on Rich. People forget about teachers as influences, but they're frequently the most influential. Unless our playing is actually informed by the people we name -- unless we learn something identifiable from them -- we're really only fans of their playing, and not students of it.

With that in mind, I'd like to name Rod Toll as a major influence. He was my teacher for a couple of years when I first started playing. One of the first things he did was to ask me who I liked to listen to, then -- in lesson after lesson -- he showed me how to play signature parts to their most well-known tunes.

Hi snailspace,
    This is synchronicity, I began lessons in 1984 with my tutor Cedric West , a very well known pro
    here in the UK, but not well known outside the UK .he knew Wes in the 60's ,( who stayed at
    his house,) Cedric was pals with JP. BK, Herb Ellis etc., Ronnie Scott Louis Stewart and so on..
    So there was I, in music parlance a pygmy in the company of Jazz Giants.
    Shortly after beginning to read passably ,I was confronted weekly with three Chord Melody
    tunes. ( arranged by Cedric, so no bluffing !) Like yourself I have kept those arrangements
    which are still valid today. Any skills i might have acquired over the years were gained by
    having been taught by a man who held a Masters Degree in Jazz Music. He could recall
    instantly any Jazz Standard and Bop tune, play in any key and transcribe from memory
    I was and still am in awe of his phenomenal memory and music skills. Long after my tuition
    ended we remained friends until his demise in 1997. I was privileged to be invited ( told)
    to sit in with his Quintet/Septet, when he walked off the stand and casually told me to
    "play three numbers" , and then return to the stand and play Trombone!

regards SF
    Last edited by silverfoxx; 02-19-2017 at 05:43 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Hi snailspace,
    This is synchronicity, I began lessons in 1984 with my tutor Cedric West , a very well known pro
    here in the UK, but not well known outside the UK .he knew Wes in the 60's ,( who stayed at
    his house,) Cedric was pals with JP. BK, Herb Ellis etc., Ronnie Scott Louis Stewart and so on..
    So there was I, in music parlance a pygmy in the company of Jazz Giants.
    Shortly after beginning to read passably ,I was confronted weekly with three Chord Melody
    tunes. ( arranged by Cedric, so no bluffing !) Like yourself I have kept those arrangements
    which are still valid today. Any skills i might have acquired over the years were gained by
    having been taught by a man who held a Masters Degree in Jazz Music. He could recall
    instantly any Jazz Standard and Bop tune, play in any key and transcribe from memory
    I was and till am in awe of his phenomenal memory and music skills. Long after my tuition
    ended we remained friends until his demise in 1997. I was privileged to be invited ( told)
    to sit in with his Quintet/Septet, when he walked off the stand and casually told me to
    "play three numbers" , and then return to the stand and play Trombone!

regards SF
    What a great story -- I'm glad you shared it here! We can learn a lot from our heroes, but many of us have unsung heroes, as well: teachers who taught us how to see, and how to hear.

User Info Menu

I souldn't ask in this thread, because there haven't been so many guitarrist who have influenced me. I started playing guitar by accident and actually wanted to be a violinist. I can say that my only real influences are Allan Holdsworth, Stephane Grappelli, maybe a bit of L. Shankar, Jerry Goodman..., and apart from that I love Scott Henderson, Bill Frissell, Paco de Lucía, John McLaughlin (I always enjoyed him more as a composer-project designer rather than as a guitarrist), Gilmour, Page, etc. but I couldn't say that these last ones have influenced me as a guitarrist. On the other hand, it's hard to define and isolate the many factors that actually influence you. I'd even say that Debussy and Prokofiev, for instance, have been great influences to me on the way I face melodies on guitar.
    Last edited by Chema Mrua; 02-21-2017 at 09:25 AM.

User Info Menu

I'll echo Chema's comments and also say that, as I read thru the various comments, it made me realize that there's a difference between guitarists who influence me vs. guitarists that I love, although there are some overlaps. For example, I own a lot more John McLaughlin albums than Bill Frisell, but I'd consider Bill to be a bigger influence. I listen to lots of Wes, but I'd consider Robbie Robertson to be a much bigger influence. Someone like Ed Bickert, to me, is an obvious case of overlap. I find that when I'm holding a guitar, there are certain things I'm drawn to play and certain sounds that I'm striving for that are personally satisfying to me, but don't always represent what I'm listening to. I'm sure that there's some subliminal influence though. Anyway....... biggest influences, in no particular order:

Segovia
    Eric Clapton (60s era)
    Richard Thompson
    Ed Bickert
    Bill Frisell

Non-guitarists:
    Miles
    Hilary Hahn
    Paul Chambers
    Elvin Jones
    Eric Dolphy

BTW, I'm just a recent convert to Kenny Burrell, but he's becoming a big influence fast. Why wasn't I listening to him before. Doh !

And a special shout out to Mimi Fox for her excellent little book: Arpeggio Studies On Jazz Standards and Jens Larsen for his wonderful YouTube videos.
    Last edited by darkwaters; 02-21-2017 at 09:56 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by darkwaters
    there's a difference between guitarists who influence me vs. guitarists that I love
    That's exactly and well summarised what I meant, and since you've mentioned Elvin Jones between your influences I can't help to name Bill Bruford, Vinnie Colaiuta or Jon Hiseman among others inside the box of people who have sculpted my way of playing...

User Info Menu

I can not answer to the influence thing, because I am so amateur player that talking about influence makes no sense, and would be defending the named artist :-)

However I can name the greatests I love... and they influenced my musical orientation. (not me as "guitar player")

In historical order, I mean in my history
    (strictly imho)

(Jimmy Page) - If you do not know him, you had lost a lot. Probably it's too late to start listneing
    1) Pat Metheny - Just think Bright Size Life (1976) Still not in the place where it belongs: in the 10 greatest, and milestone recordings in Jazz history
    2) Wes Montgomery - No words needs here
    (Kenny Burrell) - He is not in this league, but it is impossible to not love and enjoy his solos.
    3) George Benson - In the exclusive club of jazz guitarists, who can improvise melodies, not only lines
    4) John McLaughlin - What a passion, what a heart...
    5) John Scofield - Just listen his first record: Rough House (1978)
    (Bill Frissel) - I wish I could be so unique musician as he

edit:
    I can't believe how can I forgot Joe Pass... He is at 1.5 between Metheny and Wes...
    Last edited by Gabor; 02-21-2017 at 10:23 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    5 guitarists I have spent the most time studying (either their playing, education materials, or in personal lessons):
    - Sheryl Bailey
    - Roni Ben-Hur
    - Pasquale Grasso
    - Jimmy Raney
    - Jonathan Kreisberg

Sheryl is great!

User Info Menu

Joe Pass: His flawless chord melody work remains unsurpassed.
    Pat Metheny: Not only an amazing and imaginative player but an astonishing composer, Secret Story is a testament to his writing.
    Larry Carlton: His work with Steely Dan was my introduction to jazz influenced rock and life beyond pentatonic soloing:
    Martin Taylor: For my money perhaps the best finger-style jazz guitarist anywhere.
    Grant Geissman: His I-VI-ii-V solo on Chuck Mangione's "Feels So Good" still gives me chills.